By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Should I get the PS3 or a 360?

I own all the current platforms and can point out a few things that you may not consider, but my basic advice is that the PS3 has much better longevity and features.

1. PS3 is extremely quiet, almost silent. The 360 is noisy like an airplane. This is a total deal breaker for me, particularly for movies. Perhaps they have improved the noise level since I bought mine shortly after the 360 launch...

2. PS3 comes standard with HDMI and 1080p support. You need to buy the elite 360 in order to get similar functionality.

3. PS3 comes standard with a Blu-Ray disc player, and Blu-Ray won the war.

Now, PS3 is starting to get some mature quality games but has a lot to catch up to 360's library. The 360 has a lot of good games, has a superior online interface and achievements. If you are highly into a multiplayer/competitive environment, you may wish to get a 360 or if you don't plan to utilize proper 1080p support in the near future.

Good luck with your choice!

Around the Network
bigjon said:
GT5 is very tempting for me. The main reason I am considering a 360 is the lower price. Also even though I don't want Blu- ray right now, I may in the future. I am also in FF13, but I am not convinced MS did not buy off the rights for that...

MS have already said that they wont by the rights to FFXIII. If you like GT5 and FFXIII I would get a PS3. But save your money until they come out, because there might be a price drop before they come out.

well in europe I would say 360 at 100% due to the price beeing 1/2.... (heck with some bundles it's even less than that).

In the US I guess I would still say 360 as I don't see anything really special about the PS3 so far (besides MSG4) and for me it'll be a console to buy once it's real cheap and all games are bargains... But then again prices being close, it's almost a tie.

OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoO

bigjon said:
GT5 is very tempting for me. The main reason I am considering a 360 is the lower price. Also even though I don't want Blu- ray right now, I may in the future. I am also in FF13, but I am not convinced MS did not buy off the rights for that...

After blu-ray won my friend bought one (not intrested in it) when I talked to him I was like "Yeah you can be happy because blu-ray just won"

"So? I'm not gonna be watching movies with it"

"Maybe not now but at least you know if you ever want to get better quality the option is there"

He doesn't have an HD-Tv though. Do you? If so I bet you'd buy a few blu-rays...

Also MS did not buy the rights. You can rest assured about that.

bigjon said:

If they couldn't with Metal Gear Solid 4,then they won't with Final Fantasy XIII. @OT- I think the 360 is a better choice,but remember you have to pay for online.The Playstation 3 is catching up with the 360 in terms of online service,but it's not there yet. If you truly only care about games and a variety of them; then go with the PS3.If you care about an intuitive online community and a games list that keeps on growing with variety.Go with the 360.

Around the Network

Well by the looks of it you need to get yourself a PS3. If you have an HD TV then Blu-Ray would be a great addition. PS3 is getting some of the best FPS around such as Killzone 2 and Resistance 2. PS3 has got an amazing range of sports games. It lacks abit in the RPG section but as soon as Final Fantasy 13 hits this year, king of rpg's is back on PS3 only. Ratchet and Clank and Little Big Planet are some of the best platformers around. Not to mention the PS3 is a reliable system and the PSN in seriously catching up with LIVE and when 2.4 hits it will be on par with LIVE but FREE!

Not to mention Killer apps such as MGS4 and GT5!

marnes said:

I own all the current platforms and can point out a few things that you may not consider, but my basic advice is that the PS3 has much better longevity and features.

1. PS3 is extremely quiet, almost silent. The 360 is noisy like an airplane. This is a total deal breaker for me, particularly for movies. Perhaps they have improved the noise level since I bought mine shortly after the 360 launch...

2. PS3 comes standard with HDMI and 1080p support. You need to buy the elite 360 in order to get similar functionality.

Now, PS3 is starting to get some mature quality games but has a lot to catch up to 360's library. The 360 has a lot of good games, has a superior online interface and achievements. If you are highly into a multiplayer/competitive environment, you may wish to get a 360 or if you don't plan to utilize proper 1080p support in the near future.

Actually, the Premium also supports HDMI, and I think even the Arcade supports HDMI (not sure about the latter)

If I remember it right, there are fewer exclusives on the PS3, so the easiest way to settle it is to look at PS3's exclusives list, and make up your mind about whether you want them or not.

Other things you could look at are:

- quality of multiplatform titles (usually the 360 has the advantage in terms of ports; early PS3 ports were especially poor)
- do you want to play online, and if so do you mind paying the yearly Xbox Live fee for it?
- are you interested in Blu-Ray movies, or is DVD enough for you?
- which controller do you prefer?

Frankly, the PS3 and 360 aren't that different. One could even say Microsoft and Sony should have merged their consoles (which wouldn't work for obvious reasons, but you get my point). Therefore, to make a decision you have to look at those small differences along with the exclusives which are the most important difference.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

marnes said:

All new units support HDMI. (Arcade, Premium, Elite)

I think u should pick then one with the games u like and that applies to u.