By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii and the third-party "doom"

This topic is also not about poor sales for third-party titles. But instead, developers seeing the platform as a way to recover from financial troubles.

flames_of - "I think you're confusing Bush with Chuck Norris."

Wii: 80-85 Million end of 2009 (1.1.09)

Around the Network

You have to look at it this way. The more games that come the better chance that you'll find good games in them.

But the Wii is in a market that has areas its lacking big games in. Remember how the GC lacked RPG's and when it got one they sold well. Aka ToS and FFCC. Well same thing here. ONe way or another a dev is going to say due to that genre being almost completely barren if I put a title out in that area with decent quality then it's for sure to sell big. Meaning there is little to almost no risk in releasing a shooter or an RPG or an epic adventure title on the Wii. Red Steel proved that earlier on as a launch title. The Conduit is not a risk at all for High Voltage Studios and the dev that picks it up.

Developers have to realize there is more risk releasing a shooter on 360 or PS3 where the genre is saturated than on the Wii where there is little to no saturation whatsoever. And when they figure this out you'll see those titles come over. ToS 2 on Wii should help get some RPG's along hopefully. And maybe The Conduit and CoD: WaW will doe the same in the shooter department.

Most 3rd party companies will be happy to do some crappy money with some crappy games but a few will want to do great money with great games.

Wii is the best platform for the both situations.

The Wii is getting a Doom game?!

Oh.. Nevermind then.

What is this, an Indiana Jones spin off?

I am WEEzY. You can suck my Nintendo loving BALLS!

MynameisGARY

Around the Network

@ Faithraven
True, some will aim high... But a few too many may aim low.

@Others
Okay... Sorry for unintentionally getting your hopes up...

NJ5 said:

I wonder how the industry would be like without MS's/Sony's payments to third parties. Would they be able to develop the games they're developing, and survive?

A lot of companies making HD games are subsidized by those companies' pockets, of that I'm sure.

Yeah right.Those out of pocket purchases account for a minority of the 3rd party support,that the 360/PS3 receive.Third party developers choose the PS3/360 as their platforms of choice because it's the ideal platforms for their games and audience.Not knocking the wii,but a majority of the third party support will continue to go to the 360/PS3 regardless of how well the wii does.imo

flames_of said:
@ Faithraven
True, some will aim high... But a few too many may aim low.

But thats how everything works. 95% crap games around 5% good games. 95% crap people around 5% good people and so on.

@ Faithraven
Quite alot of people you're classifying to be crap... An odd comparison to use.

SeriousWB said:
The Wii is getting a Doom game?!

Oh.. Nevermind then.

ROFL, that's what I thought when I clicked on it too. XD.