By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Did MGS4 kill my 60gb or can it be saved?

I was playing last night until it crashed after the 2nd mission so I left it on and I went to bed cos I was tired then I come to play it again today and the machine crashes between every 5-10 minutes and it has all these graphical glitches. Hundreds of pixel Stars were popping up all over the black in the splash screen and theres these two discoloured areas and one flashing area. Also the fan is running at 100% so I think maybe the GPU heatsink has become detached?

Can it be saved by me or the repair centre? Or am I going to be sent back a 40gb PS3 as a "replacement"?

This is really annoying, I never was able to play MGS because I never understood the game when I was younger. I really liked it but I could never play it. DAMNIT!!! I was really getting into the game, it was climbing into that special ranking I reserve for awesome games and now I can't play it.

It seems Sony can't make reliable games machines. 2 PSX 4 PS2 and now a broken PS3.

I own all Sony stuff too, so its only the games machines that give me trouble.

Tease.

Around the Network

Surely they'll send you a 60GB as a replacement? They MUST have SOME in stock for the PAL 60GB's that fail?

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

starcraft said:
Surely they'll send you a 60GB as a replacement? They MUST have SOME in stock for the PAL 60GB's that fail?

Who knows, but seeing as the 60gb models cost them the earth to make I don't think they have any stocked up.

Tease.

Ok, I had a look again, all I got was a starry sky and nothing else. Not even the playstation logo. Looks dead I think?

Tease.

Wow. It sounds like something has gone HORRIBLY wrong with that console.

In warranty?

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Around the Network

That sucks...

Assuming your console was in warranty and they can't repair it:

Long ago, I think I recall seeing someone saying that they are forced, by law, to have a few units of the old models stockpiled for cases like yours.

If they don't, they should give you some bonuses along with a new 40 GB unit, such as a few games or Blu-Ray movies ;) If they're assholes about it and just want to get it over with by sending you a 40 GB, press them on the matter and they'll probably throw you a few peanuts.

EDIT - Oh, even if they send you a 40 GB don't forget to demand a bigger hard drive with it ;)

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

NJ5 said:

That sucks...

Assuming your console was in warranty and they can't repair it:

Long ago, I think I recall seeing someone saying that they are forced, by law, to have a few units of the old models stockpiled for cases like yours.

If they don't, they should give you some bonuses along with a new 40 GB unit, such as a few games or Blu-Ray movies ;) If they're assholes about it and just want to get it over with by sending you a 40 GB, press them on the matter and they'll probably throw you a few peanuts.

EDIT - Oh, even if they send you a 40 GB don't forget to demand a bigger hard drive with it ;)

I live in NZ so they have 3 options at the store I bought it from. Its got a few months left of warranty I think.

1. Repair

2. Replace with equal model. ( I WANT backwards compatibility for my PS2 games as I don't want another machine when I have 3 attached to my tv already)

3. Refund.

If they can't repair it and I won't accept a lesser replacement I think i'll just take the $$$. It'll give me more time to play the other systems and I can buy surround sound with the money I get back. I think ill just rent a system to finish MGS4 because I can wait till this time next year for a cheaper ps3 to come out anyway.

Tease.

dude, i feel for you. really do. i'd probably break down in tears if my 60 broke and they couldn't replace it. i'd be sad. EDIT: you have been unlucky with yor hardware! i've never had a duff Sony product. with the exception of my vaio laptop with they picked up, repaired and delivered back to me in 2 weeks. p.s. i have a lot of sony gear...

Atari 2600, Sega Mega Drive, Game Boy, Game Boy Advanced, N64, Playstation, Xbox, PSP Phat, PSP 3000, and PS3 60gb (upgraded to 320gb), NDS

Linux Ubuntu user

Favourite game: Killzone 3

@Squilliam: So they can replace it with an equal console at no cost?

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

My 60g model became corrupted and fell apart....i took it to the store i got it from, and they gave me a 40g model and the difference in cash as a replacement....its the responsilibity of the store to sort you out

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot