By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - MGS; New series or a Continuation?

I know I'm going to get tons of flak for saying this, but if MGS returns it needs to be a reinvention of the series. And I'm not just talking about ditching the archaic form of storytelling, but also revamping the gameplay. Otherwise the game will be too dated.

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

Around the Network
leo-j said:
Well if any of you heard the podcast on the IPOD, the guy speaks of the next metal gear game after MGS4, and he talks about BIG BOSS being in the game.

So it has to be a prequal.

this is true but i still hope they make the boss the main character

Owner Of: PS1 PS2 PS3 PSP NES GB GBA GC WII XBOX

sieanr said:
I know I'm going to get tons of flak for saying this, but if MGS returns it needs to be a reinvention of the series. And I'm not just talking about ditching the archaic form of storytelling, but also revamping the gameplay. Otherwise the game will be too dated.

I do love the deep storyline in the game but can openly admit they need to cut down the size of cutscenes alot. I mean the last cutscene or ending can be long but not ever one. As for gameplay, i think it was pretty spot on in metal gear solid 4. Sure its not the best for online play but what do you think they could have done better?

I doubt anything is final.Their just basically tossing ideas around,at this point.

Sicilian. said:
sieanr said:

I do love the deep storyline in the game but can openly admit they need to cut down the size of cutscenes alot. I mean the last cutscene or ending can be long but not ever one. As for gameplay, i think it was pretty spot on in metal gear solid 4. Sure its not the best for online play but what do you think they could have done better?

Take following the trail of Naomi in act 3 (oh shit spoilers)

Instead of making the trail go through what amounts to glorified trenches, take a cue from Farcry or Crysis. Make that part of the game one giant block of jungle where the player is free to move about anywhere, with no artificial walls confining you to a set path. This would force you to actually follow the footprints through the jungle instead of just checking them at every intersection.

There are other things as well, but this is one of the places where things felt very PS1 era with pretty graphics.

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

Around the Network
sieanr said:

Cutscenes are not considered arcahaic.  You should be glad that MGS has gameplay at all.  The gameplay in MGS4 doesn't need to change much.  MGS stories would be too complex to be told in any form other than cutscenes.  This series isn't suppose to be appealing to every gamer.

sieanr said:
Sicilian. said:
sieanr said:

Take following the trail of Naomi in act 3 (oh shit spoilers)

Instead of making the trail go through what amounts to glorified trenches, take a cue from Farcry or Crysis. Make that part of the game one giant block of jungle where the player is free to move about anywhere, with no artificial walls confining you to a set path. This would force you to actually follow the footprints through the jungle instead of just checking them at every intersection.

There are other things as well, but this is one of the places where things felt very PS1 era with pretty graphics.

yeah they could have made it more open i agree

Riachu said:
sieanr said:

Cutscenes are not considered arcahaic.  You should be glad that MGS has gameplay at all.  The gameplay in MGS4 doesn't need to change much.  MGS stories would be too complex to be told in any form other than cutscenes. This series isn't suppose to be appealing to every gamer.

You best be trolling.

Start new, new characters, new time frame. And don't give us a sissy character like Raiden in MGS2.

and sienr, that was act 2, not 3.