By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Woohoo! I went HD-DVD!

My DVD player broke last year and I bought a HD-DVD player to replace it for $99 and got a $50 gift card. Also snagged Heroes, Planet Earth, and 5 free mail in movies with it. Not a bad deal either... And yes I have a BD player too.

I prefer standalones over consoles with players which is why I don't use my X360 as a DVD player by itself. I'll probably buy a Blu ray standalone to go along with my PS3 when they get in reasonable under $200 territory.

If you're worried about the drive dying one day and not having a means to play your movies you can back them up on your PC with the 360 add-on. Lots of tutorials out there on how to do it. It can also be used as an external DVD-ROM for a laptop/PC/Mac by just plugging it in.

Completed X360:
High Def Movie Collection
Around the Network

Talk about a silly move... a typical DVD player uses about 11-20 watts of electricity. Your new HD-DVD drive with a 360 is going to chew up over 400 watts. Is that worth it?

Prepare for termination! It is the only logical thing to do, for I am only loyal to Megatron.

DarkNight_DS said:
Talk about a silly move... a typical DVD player uses about 11-20 watts of electricity. Your new HD-DVD drive with a 360 is going to chew up over 400 watts. Is that worth it?

Yes.  I like the setup and thats why I use it.

I give that post a 9.5.

Thank god for the disable signatures option.

If your 360 was one of the models that had the low-grade "disc scratcher" DVD drive, then you did yourself a huge favor.

Or was it the add-on that was notorious for scratching discs? Shucks, now I've forgotten.

Excellent price, but suspicious value.

Lost my faith in VGChartz. Too many stupid and ignorant Americans, even as moderators.

It's a shame, really. "The Boss" should do something radical about this Americanization, but it seems hardly feasible, so my days here are numbered.

Around the Network
madskillz said:
nine0nine said:
i dunno why people keep telling him HD DVD is dead, he knows that, hence making the post in the first place. the point is for $40 he can buy into a dead format and buy the reasonable catalogue of HD DVDs very cheaply. For the price of say 3 Bluray disks you can have 10 HD DVDs and once BD prices drop, then buy into it.

The only problem i have with this is when the HD DVD drive packs up, which it inevitably will, all those disks will be useless.

Can you show me the Web site that states the HD DVDs will implode after a certain period of them? HD DVD and Blu Ray are visually identical. They are both 1080p and the only real difference is the storage capacity. That's it.

HD DVD players WILL wear out, and a pile of disks are no use without a player. The nature of any optical drive means this is inevitable. they arnt going to implode after a certain time, nor did i say that or that a Bluray drive wont do exactly the same,  it will.

The last DVD player I had lasted 8 years. If my HD DVD player lasts half that I think my investment was worth it for me. By that time both BD players (altho I already have one) and media will be at reasonable prices. And with the add-on if that was a concern you can always back up your discs on your HD.

And just an FYI.... to this day you can still buy a working betamax player on ebay

Completed X360:
High Def Movie Collection

I got one too, about 50$ for HD-DVD drive for 360. That is including the 7 movies I bought for few $ each. :D

I got the HD-DVD-Player too!

After the HD-DVD loss. the prices fell really fast. Now I have almost 40 movies in great quality for less than a third of the original price. Makes me happy. Maybe I will buy a blu-ray-player in 2009

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

I have bought loads of HD-DVDs lately, the discs are cheaper than DVD, even combos that include a DVD side! By the time my player packs up there will be platinum special collectors editions available on Blu-Ray for half the price of current Blu-Ray discs.