By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Woohoo! I went HD-DVD!

Profcrab said:
Hmm, it might have made it clearer to some people if I mentioned it was the HD-DVD addon for the 360 I picked up for $40, not a standalone.

There arent anymore HD DVD movies coming out, or being sold in much places

I give your post an 9.23233901233349

mM
Around the Network

I saw one at blockbuster video for 19.99. Its the Sega 32X of our time...except sega 32x sucked

leo-j said:
Profcrab said:
Hmm, it might have made it clearer to some people if I mentioned it was the HD-DVD addon for the 360 I picked up for $40, not a standalone.

Believe it or not, I actually stopped living in a cave at least less than a year ago. 

What is out there retailers are now clearing out, for cheap.  As I stated, multiple times, I picked it up primarily as a DVD player, not HD-DVD.  However, what is nice is that I picked up Planet Earth for $40 ($65 on Blu-Ray through Amazon), the Matrix set for $34, an a couple other movies for $12 that don't even sell on DVD for that price.  No sense in not taking advantage of what is out there.

I might add that I do intend on eventually picking up a standalone Blu-Ray player, but not for at least another year when they are much cheaper and have gone through even more hardware revisions.

I give that post a 9.5.

Thank god for the disable signatures option.

leo-j said:
Profcrab said:

LOL, Leo-J sees the annoyance as well...

@profcrab: no-one was confused about what you bought. They were wonderering why you bought it.

I mean, look at this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/RCA-HDV5000-Toshiba-HD-A1-HD-DVD-Player-with-Movie_W0QQitemZ320264022614QQihZ011QQcategoryZ15077QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

And it comes with King Kong too. not to mention there are probably better local deals arounnd.

total (inc. shipping) is: $57.95 I don't know where you live, but according to tax in my area,  that's only $14.65 more for it to be standalone... The HD-DVD drive is actually the most taxing thing to do on a 360 (according to engadget), so you're also putting your 360 in more of a likelyhood to RROD.

I think you had been better of bying a standalone HDDVD.

I give your post a rather generous 9.0 :P ,,,, yea I can rate posts as well,,,bow down before me ;)

Around the Network
rocketpig said:

Apparently no one here has ever burned out a console optical drive by watching too many movies on it.

I have. It sucks seeing a $200+ console eat shit because you like movies and don't have enough outputs for umpteen consoles and a DVD player in your entertainment center.

For $40, getting what is basically a throw-away player with a remote and movie is a pretty good deal.

I did and it sucks

SpartanFX said:
I think you had been better of bying a standalone HDDVD.

I give your post a rather generous 9.0 :P ,,,, yea I can rate posts as well,,,bow down before me ;)

I like having it go through my 360.  I just got a new Elite last month.  I had an extended warranty that gave me a free new replacement so I upgraded it to an Elite.  No, my original 360 didn't die, I just didn't like the idea of having a first generation 360 and no HDMI port.

I probably have my 360 on more than anyone else does.  I do use a laptop cooler for it (completely silent) even though I probably don't need it.  I watch TV on it, play music, listen to the radio, play games on it, and watch movies on it.  All through one connection.  I'm very happy with the interface which, with a good remote, is very slick.  So, my 360 is probably on about 4-6 hours a day and I haven't had any problems yet, with my old one or new one.  So, I feel pretty comfortable using it as an HD-DVD player as well.  Not to mention that I can also plug the HD-DVD player into my computer if I want to.  Something I cant do with a standalone.

I give that post a 9.5.

Thank god for the disable signatures option.

The only reason I would pick up an HD-DVD is to poke its insides with my sharp soldering iron. No big loss if the patient doesn't make it :)

Currently playing on PS3: God of War III

Currently playing on Xbox360: Final Fantasy XIII

Currently playing on NDS: Chrono Trigger

I thought Best Buy stopped selling the add-ons. I have looked everywhere for one.

Great buy! I'm also making a great collection of movies on HDDVD.
Blazing Saddles!!
Streets of Fire!
Matrix collection!
and plenty of more.
Enjoy!