By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - I fail to understand Wii Fit

Suspense304 said:
Yea well, I maybe should do that....

No I'm sure they are the actual thing, I was there on the release night and they were bought almost instantly.. But since after about a week of them being out they aren't selling anymore.

Seriously if it's still there you could double your money... easy.

I find it a decent amount of fun.  The balance games are fun... and the rest of it seems like a pretty decent workout vs the "I do 50 situps a day" type workout.

My Girlfriend really likes it... she hardly misses a day.

Around the Network
leo-j said:
Username2324 said:
It only sells because it has "Wii" in the title.

I agree its only a matter of time until " Wii Barbie online GOTY edition"

is released, its going to sell hundreds of copies.

selling hundreds really isn't that hard. Maybe you should rethink your argument.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

Suspense304 said:
I wouldn't know if I like it I don't have a Wii.. but if I knew someone who had one I'd like to see what it's like maybe just because I keep hearing (from here at least) about it...

I know the worldwide sales are good, just I wouldn't think 4 weeks and not yet a million would be selling out everywhere in America that's all...

I'm 24, most of my friends are my age or older.. Most of the people I know that own Wii's are older than me (actually they might all be older than me) so I would figure my demographic would be more of the target.

For the record I have nothing against this game, it's just an observation that I've had in my area...

But I guess if anyone wants Wii Fit that can't get it, I have the hookup for you!

Seriously, dude... go buy all 4 or whatever they have and check your other local stores.  Buy everything you can get your hands on.  Go to ebay and put them up with a buy it now for $150 with free shipping and you'll make a nice little profit.  Quit posting and go make some money.  Wii Fit is sold completely out across the U.S.  People would push a handicapped old lady to the ground, kick her, and steal her cane to get her Wiifit.  Yes, it's that bad.

I hate trolls.

Systems I currently own:  360, PS3, Wii, DS Lite (2)
Systems I've owned: PS2, PS1, Dreamcast, Saturn, 3DO, Genesis, Gamecube, N64, SNES, NES, GBA, GB, C64, Amiga, Atari 2600 and 5200, Sega Game Gear, Vectrex, Intellivision, Pong.  Yes, Pong.

Oh, and one more thing... The last 100 or so wiifits sold on Ebay have sold at a low of about 150 to a high of about 200. Get busy. Money to be made here.

I hate trolls.

Systems I currently own:  360, PS3, Wii, DS Lite (2)
Systems I've owned: PS2, PS1, Dreamcast, Saturn, 3DO, Genesis, Gamecube, N64, SNES, NES, GBA, GB, C64, Amiga, Atari 2600 and 5200, Sega Game Gear, Vectrex, Intellivision, Pong.  Yes, Pong.

Soriku said:
leo-j said:
Username2324 said:

I agree its only a matter of time until " Wii Barbie online GOTY edition"

is released, its going to sell hundreds of copies.

Look, I can do that too. MGS only sells well because of the name! Same with FF! O noz! Seriously, if the brandname is popular, IT WILL SELL WELL.

But with Final Fantasy it's true.   Final Fantasy games are just like a lot of other mediocre JRPGs but they have moogles and the name Final Fanatsy.

Around the Network

I live pretty near the WV/PA border. What Wal-Mart are you talking about, because I will seriously drive for hours tomorrow night and buy every Wii Fit they have.

kn said:
Suspense304 said:
I wouldn't know if I like it I don't have a Wii.. but if I knew someone who had one I'd like to see what it's like maybe just because I keep hearing (from here at least) about it...

I know the worldwide sales are good, just I wouldn't think 4 weeks and not yet a million would be selling out everywhere in America that's all...

I'm 24, most of my friends are my age or older.. Most of the people I know that own Wii's are older than me (actually they might all be older than me) so I would figure my demographic would be more of the target.

For the record I have nothing against this game, it's just an observation that I've had in my area...

But I guess if anyone wants Wii Fit that can't get it, I have the hookup for you!

Seriously, dude... go buy all 4 or whatever they have and check your other local stores.  Buy everything you can get your hands on.  Go to ebay and put them up with a buy it now for $150 with free shipping and you'll make a nice little profit.  Quit posting and go make some money.  Wii Fit is sold completely out across the U.S.  People would push a handicapped old lady to the ground, kick her, and steal her cane to get her Wiifit.  Yes, it's that bad.

I don't think imaginary Wii Fit's sell as well as the real thing on eBay.

Bodhesatva said:
greenmedic88 said:
Bodhesatva said:
Username2324 said:

And why do things that have "Wii" in the title sell? Just out of curiosity.

Are you being sarcastic or are you fishing for honest opinions?

Name branding helps immensely.

But it's not possible to gauge true consumer interest for Wii Fit in the NA market due to the extremely low levels of inventory that have been shipped to date.

If anyone had claimed Nintendo was going to ship less than 1 million units total in the first month of release, everyone but the most irrationally anti-Nintendo naysayer would have said they were nuts.

Between the big NA marketing effort and the low inventory, there's no mystery involved as to why it's fetching about a 100% premium over retail. Flipping Wii Fit is more profitable than flipping consoles. There's no question Nintendo could have sold over twice as many units had they been availabe.

Granted, selling inventory in Europe/Others and Japan is much more profitable for Nintendo due to the US Peso, we're just not seeing the numbers being shipped to either region to fully explain the shortage.

I'm not being sarcastic, but I am trying to lead people down a specific logical path. It is interesting, for example, that everyone was claiming just a couple years ago that the "Playstation" brand name would rocket the PS3 to victory, but suddenly it's the Wii brand that is insurmountable.

The "Wii" brand name is less than two years old. Something in the last two years has taken this brand from nothing to explosively popular. What was it? If Wii Fit is simply living off the popularity of the Wii brand name, then what lifted the Wii brand name in the first place? Credit has to be given somewhere: Nintendo did something spectacularly right with something in the last couple years, to take the "Wii" brand name from something literally no one had heard of to one that apparently people will buy like zombies.

If it were that simple to just come up with a winning game plan and then let it run, everyone would be doing it. Nintendo would have done it with the N64 following the success of the SNES and then followed up again with the GC. As history would have it, that didn't happen.

It was Nintendo's conservative approach with the N64 that led to their loss of market dominance to the Playstation brand among other things. Primarily it was their insistance in keeping the ROM cart format when everyone else was going with cheaper, larger optical storage formats. I think that hurt the games more than anything in the end. Additionally, Nintendo's business practices in how they dealt third party developers had many searching for greener pastures. Nintendo has a history of being very controlling with their platforms. Even the cart decision was largely in part to deter easy piracy and receive more per unit in manufacturing costs relative to storage size.

They did the same thing with the GC by using a proprietary optical disc offering no advantages to developers, just a fraction of the storage space. Again, to deter piracy and keep their game format proprietary as a means of control.

After two mediocre generations, Nintendo had little to gamble and as a result, they gambled big with the Wii by moving in a lateral direction rather than a more expensive vertical direction with their hardware.

The result was accessibility, both in user interface, as well as user friendliness. Broadest appeal made even broader with a very modest price, relative to other current hardware. Wii Sports sold everyone on the accessibility of the controls and I'm still under the belief that it was the same level of killer app for the Wii that Super Mario Bros. was for the NES.

So the reason for success in one word: accessibility.

Wii Fit is really odd.  Many Wii owners here own it but no one I know IRL has it.  In fact, the game gets one big "Meh" from pretty much everyone I know.

I don't know who are buying all those copies of Wii Fit, but no one in my friend circle is.

greenmedic88 said

So the reason for success in one word: accessibility.

Okay, I can buy this. In that case, let's reevaluate. Wii Fit is certainly an accessible game; it's intended to be accessible to virtually everyone save perhaps the very young (under 10) who would rarely care about fitness products. This fits right into the mold you've described. In that case, Wii Fit is primarily selling because it's accessible and productive. Not primarily because of the Wii brand name.

This all draws back to Username's original post -- he was trying to discredit Wii Fit by insinuating that the game would not be selling if not for the name of the product. Apparently you agree that this isn't the case, as Wii Fit is in the mold you just described, and the mold you just described has produced mega-sellers for years now (not just Wii products, but Singstar too, for example).

Not that the Wii brand name isn't strong now, of course. I agree it is. Obviously on the flipside, there are still thousands if not millions of people who are buying a PS3 instead of a 360 simply because that's the brand they're used to, as well. I'm sure that's not something Username would point out incessantly, however.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">