By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Tales demo up on marketplace. 360 JRPG domination continues?

TheRealMafoo -

How many of the said JRPGs on the 360 have you played to compare FFXII to?

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Around the Network
mrstickball said:
TheRealMafoo -

I've played Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon, and can safely say that both of those games pale in comparison to Final Fantasy XII.

Ok. So you say that FFXII > LO and BD, yet haven't played any other Xbox 360 JRPG?

Way to make broad statement without playing a decent number of games.

mrstickball said:
Ok. So you say that FFXII > LO and BD, yet haven't played any other Xbox 360 JRPG?

Way to make broad statement without playing a decent number of games.

I've played Eternal Sonata too, FFXII is better than that also... 

That's about it for 360 JRPGs right?

DMeisterJ said:
The "domination" talk started with the OP of the thread, so you should take that up with Starcraft, Stickball...

And yes, it's a demo, but it's not like the demo is not indicative of what to expect from the game. Most of the gripes from the game were in terms of graphical quality, which isn't going to be changed much with the release date looming... But we'll see.

Why must FF be the only JRPG series to have state of the art graphics?

Around the Network

Probably because when your making a very long, semi-linear RPG, art assets take a long time to create, so you have your choice:

1) Beautiful Art Assets, shorter game
2) OK to Good Art Assets, longer game
3) Very good Art Assets, longer game, but uses alot of copy & paste (ala Oblivion, Mass Effect)

Now, when it comes to FF bucking that trend, its because they actually have money to do such. A Tales game sells ~1m copies, so Namco knows what kind of budget the game can have. A Final Fantasy game sells ~7m copies, so Square knows that they can allow a higher development budget, and hire more artists, and developers to create a "bigger" experience than Tales.

Give Namco $50,000,000 to make a Tales game, and I guarentee it's the best looking of the series :)

mrstickball said:
Probably because when your making a very long, semi-linear RPG, art assets take a long time to create, so you have your choice:

1) Beautiful Art Assets, shorter game
2) OK to Good Art Assets, longer game
3) Very good Art Assets, longer game, but uses alot of copy & paste (ala Oblivion, Mass Effect)

Now, when it comes to FF bucking that trend, its because they actually have money to do such. A Tales game sells ~1m copies, so Namco knows what kind of budget the game can have. A Final Fantasy game sells ~7m copies, so Square knows that they can allow a higher development budget, and hire more artists, and developers to create a "bigger" experience than Tales.

Give Namco $50,000,000 to make a Tales game, and I guarentee it's the best looking of the series :)

I just have one question.  tri-Ace said that SO4 was suppose to have beautiful graphics and the Star Ocean series sells like 1 million+ copies per main installment.  Are they lying or does the game being published by S-E have something to do with it?

mrstickball said:
TheRealMafoo -

I have played most all of them (I have a 360). LO is good, but I like FFXII better. I am a WRPG fan over JRPG however, so it was probably the WRPG influence that makes me like it more.

The best RPG imo of the last 2 years, is ME, but that is not a JRPG.

Riachu said:

I just have one question.  tri-Ace said that SO4 was suppose to have beautiful graphics and the Star Ocean series sells like 1 million+ copies per main installment.  Are they lying or does the game being published by S-E have something to do with it?

Well, you then need to take development teams, and their proficency and time with the what they are doing. IMO, I'd tend to think that Tri-Ace is a little bit more focused on SO4's development, and has better financial backing (therefore able to take a greater risk) than Namco's Tri-Cresendo or whomever is making ToV.

And remember: how many Tales games does Namco make? 4 a year? I tend to think that the dev team for Tales games tends to not be as focused on making a masterpiece as much a given SE team is...A good example would be Lost Odyssey versus Blue Dragon (I love both, FYI). Feel Plus + Mistwalker was MUCH smaller of a dev team than Mistwalker + Artoon as far as I know. Which game looks and plays better? Again...Talent has much to do with it. Feel Plus is made up of former Shadow Hearts guys, and some of Japans best developers....Artoon? Not so much.

I watched a gameplay video the other and it was sooooooo bland. Not interested at all.