By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Tales demo up on marketplace. 360 JRPG domination continues?

ClaudeLv250 said:
Riachu said:
mrstickball said:
Riachu said:
mrstickball said:
...Are we still basing the entire ToV experience based on a 10 minute demo? Last I checked, JRPG demos were (again) useless. The FFXII demo sucked. The Blue Dragon demo sucked. The Eternal Sonata demo was good (but only revealed the best parts of the game, IMO)

Shame!

FFXII demo wasn't bad but it was certainly lacking. FFXII turned out to be a great game though not quite as great as FFX IMO.

That's my point. The FFXII demo was not indicative of the final product. The context of the areas you were playing in didn't give you any idea about the rest of the game. No license board, monster hunts, story, character development, music, or anything "meaty" was in the demo. Just 2 random, pretty crappy areas of FFXII.

Likewise, ToV's demo is a random area lifted with a few battles, some cutscenes, randomly assigned skills, and a boss. Big whoop. You can't determine a JRPGs merit in 15 minutes of random playing...The battle system could be incredibly deep, but we don't know. The story could be the best Tales to date. The music could of been it's worst selection. The character interaction could be awesome. The other voices of characters could be much better. But we don't know, outside of 15 minutes of gametime.

So until August comes, I'd sugguest holding your breath on saying ToV is mediocre, or whatever.

ToV having the best story in the series isn't too far fetch. It is suppose have the most mature story in the entire series.

I'll believe that when I see it, because so far I haven't.

It would be nice if they drop the prejudice themes for once, though.

Prejudice isn't considered mature?  In real life, prejudice was a very serious problem 200 years ago and it some parts of the world, it still is.

Around the Network
Riachu said:
ClaudeLv250 said:
Riachu said:

ToV having the best story in the series isn't too far fetch. It is suppose have the most mature story in the entire series.

Prejudice isn't considered mature?  In real life, prejudice was a very serious problem 200 years ago and it some parts of the world, it still is.

No one said prejudice isn't considered mature. I'm just tired of it hijacking every Tales storyline.

Legendia was a lot better before that pigtails bitch kept walking around screaming "i h4t3 u orerisness u wer meen!11" No one cares and die in a fire, plz.

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"

ClaudeLv250 said:
Riachu said:
ClaudeLv250 said:
Riachu said:

Prejudice isn't considered mature? In real life, prejudice was a very serious problem 200 years ago and it some parts of the world, it still is.

No one said prejudice isn't considered mature. I'm just tired of it hijacking every Tales storyline.

Legendia was a lot better before that pigtails bitch kept walking around screaming "i h4t3 u orerisness u wer meen!11" No one cares and die in a fire, plz.

Shouldn't character interaction be a bigger concern than the actual story when it comes to JRPGs

Soriku said:
starcraft said:
sc94597 said:

Not really. The highest rated one is lost oddysey with an average of 79%. The rest are average-mediocre. And I assumed you meant rpgs released or not released since you are talking about an unreleased game.

You'll find a tiny proportion of JRPG's score well on meta or GR.  A better measure is Famitsu, which rates LO and BD above 90%. 

In any case, do you have any existing JRPG's on the PS3 that did well on Meta, GR or Famitsu?

Famitsu's a joke. You know they rate games BASED ON WHAT THE COMMUNITY WANTS, right? It explains games like FF XII getting a 40/40...lol.

Or it could be because FFXII was one of the greatest games I've ever played!!!!

This is my signature.

davidwes said:
Soriku said:
starcraft said:
sc94597 said:

Not really. The highest rated one is lost oddysey with an average of 79%. The rest are average-mediocre. And I assumed you meant rpgs released or not released since you are talking about an unreleased game.

You'll find a tiny proportion of JRPG's score well on meta or GR. A better measure is Famitsu, which rates LO and BD above 90%.

In any case, do you have any existing JRPG's on the PS3 that did well on Meta, GR or Famitsu?

Famitsu's a joke. You know they rate games BASED ON WHAT THE COMMUNITY WANTS, right? It explains games like FF XII getting a 40/40...lol.

@Soriku

Hope you aren't condemning FFXII.  It wasn't perfect by any means but it is still a great game despite what othere will try to tell you.

Around the Network
mrstickball said:
Mind listing what RPGs came out for the PS2 in 07 that made it better than the 360? Same for the PSP over the 360 in '08 (outside of that, I agree)

Sure (From the time they first became available, regardless of territory)

X360 - Lost Odyssey, Mass Effect, Eternal Sonata, Two Worlds, Oblivion GOTY

PS2 - Persona 3, Baroque, FFXII International, Odin Sphere, KH2 Final Mix, .hack Vol2, .hack Vol3, Shining Force, Rozen Maiden

2008 (Assuming releases keep to their dates and ignoring rumored titles that are supposed to be released this year)

X360 - ToV, Infinite Undiscovery, Last Remnant, Fallout 3, Fable 2, Two Worlds 2

PSP - SO2, Tales of Rebirth, MH2G, Vantage Master Portable, Phantasy Star Portable, Super Robot Taisen, Yggdra Union, Valhalla Knights 2, Far East of Eden, Coded Soul

Actually 2007 is closer than I thought as ME and Oblivion make up a lot of ground, you're right and the 360 might be ahead of the PS2 in 2007 or better yet, it's a push as KH2 Final Mix and FFXII International gives the PS2 some pull. I still gotta give 2008 to PSP, though it's not that big of a gap, if KHBBS comes out this year then it becomes a huge gap.

I might've missed some though, IDK.

And if FFXIII comes out in Dec '08 like it's rumored and WKC comes out this fall and they live up to the hype, then I'd pump the PS3 to 3rd place.

Riachu said:
ClaudeLv250 said:
Riachu said:
ClaudeLv250 said:
Riachu said:

Prejudice isn't considered mature? In real life, prejudice was a very serious problem 200 years ago and it some parts of the world, it still is.

Shouldn't character interaction be a bigger concern than the actual story when it comes to JRPGs

I don't consider pigtails bitch coming in and screaming her prejudiced nonsense between major events character interaction.

Not really sure why you're trying so hard to justify it considering you said you never played a Tales game before.

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"

Riachu said:
davidwes said:
Soriku said:
starcraft said:
sc94597 said:

You'll find a tiny proportion of JRPG's score well on meta or GR. A better measure is Famitsu, which rates LO and BD above 90%.

@Soriku

Hope you aren't condemning FFXII.  It wasn't perfect by any means but it is still a great game despite what othere will try to tell you.

Compared to the rest of the series, it;s not too good. It doesn't deserve a 40/40, I would say rathe a 35/40.

I downloaded the demo last night, played it and...

I don't remember a thing as it was 2 of the AM and I kept falling asleep.

How do u get the demo? Needs japan account or is it out in the west?