By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Weekly Discussion Table #2 (Courtesy of Feniris): Sims+Home=$$$?

Last time, (about two weeks ago, sorry for not putting one up last week) I tried to have an intelligent discussion on what the impact of introducing greatest hits to PS3 right now would have on the PS3.  Instead, most people decided it was okay to steal said table and attempt to play an Halo 3-esque Oddball match-up with it.  SOOO, I am taking the same road, hoping that the same hilarity..err...I mean, same problem doesn't ensue. 

My topic of this week?

My thoughts on Sony's Home aren't what you would say "estatic" right now, with very little details on it and how it mainly looks like a second life clone, I not anticipating the launch as much as maybe some of you.  However, I noticed that the online avatars were becoming popular.  With the Miis and whatever Microsoft is planning, it would be interesting to see what happens with Home. 

But, after reading about another Sims Online, what if Sony and EA were to team up somehow and combine the two?

I was thinking like some download that EA provided that allowed you to upload your appartment into their new sims online and have your avatar act as a sim, and you could quickly go back to Home if you wanted to.  That way,  you could have somewhat of an MMO built in and be able to use the great Editors that come with the sims games to edit things such as your character and your appartment. 

It would very much increase my interest in the product.  What are your thoughts?

Check us out at the Vindication Gamer Network on Youtube. 

Around the Network

Somebody told me that there'd be something interesting in this thread.

Somebody lied.

>=|

But in all seriousness, it seems like a cool concept, but it would probably never happen. Even if EA and Sony wanted to do it, it'd be hard to implement from a programming perspective.

But if it were to happen, it would certainly raise the casual appeal of the console. Though Home itself should do that to a degree.

In the end, it will be the price that holds people back. The Sims thrives because of it's low hardware requirements. Basically anybody with a PC can run it somewhat decently. Having to buy a $400 console to run the Sims Online wouldn't inspire too many people to buy it.

It would do much better on the Wii, imo, since the mainstream audience has laready embraced the console with open arms.

Though LittleBigPlanet and other titles could help widen the ps3's target audien....

Crap.

I just realized you're looking at this from OUR perspective rather than a sales perspective.

Nevermind then.

It sounds cool, but I'd probably never use it. The only things I'm looking forward to from Home are the dev spaces and the ability to join games with friends easier ala the party system from XBL.

The dev spaces look really cool, imo. It'd be nice to go to Naughty Dog's dev space and check out the latest trailers for Uncharted 2, download that free sidescroller they've mentioned, etc., or go the Warhawk space and enter a war room with your friends where you can plan strategies together over a giant tactical map, and then go from the room straight into a server.

Well, I from more of a traditional Sims perspective...... ala Sims 2.  Like how you know they have announced the Sims 3 for the PS3 they could add more of a traditional RPG elements and have a built in online mode.  I don't know, I just thought with the idea of My sims on the Wii,  Sony and EA could produce something great.  IMO, the next step in the sims would be legitimizing it on the consoles, and for Home, it's to offer something more than just a 3D chat room  as you could hop right into a neighborhood.  Wait, looking back at it, did I make it sound like I didn't want them to remain seperate entities?  Crap Indeed!

This is something difficult to explain on my part,  but your right, and since I don't have a PSN account I didn't know you couldn't already have games like the aforementioned party system.... Oh well,  I thought about this on short notice, I'll try to bring something better to the table next time.....

Check us out at the Vindication Gamer Network on Youtube.