By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - MGS4 Cutscenes: In-game or not?

Ever since it was announced that MGS4 was going to be on the dual-layer Blu-ray disc, there has been speculation about whether MGS4 games are rendered in-game or pre-rendered. I thought that speculation might have ended as soon as the game came out...but I've noticed a few (just a few, I think most know now) still skeptical about the cutscenes being in-game. Tuesday I took the time to prove that the cutscenes are rendered in-game and in real-time. In this video I show that you can move around in what I assume is the Mk.II in the briefings. Oh, for those who don't want spoilers, don't watch.

Here's the video (I'm on Act IV now for those of you who don't think I'm spending enough time on the game ;) ):

http://youtube.com/watch?v=0RFMEyegr5U

It's later on in the video, so you'll have to wait around 2-3 minutes. Also, the FaceCamo also proves the cutscenes are in-game. It's pretty interesting seeing MGS1 snake (all pixelated and PS1 polygon like) in the cutscenes. XD

PSN: Lone_Canis_Lupus

Around the Network

Yea, it was noticable on some zoom out shots.

The MGS1 camo was pretty funny too. I think it would have been hilarious if you put on that camo and then went to see Meryl again. "Snake, is that you? You look so old!" Uhh, no, you bitch, I look the exact same way I did 9 years ago.

Aj_habfan said:
Yea, it was noticable on some zoom out shots.

The MGS1 camo was pretty funny too. I think it would have been hilarious if you put on that camo and then went to see Meryl again. "Snake, is that you? You look so old!" Uhh, no, you bitch, I look the exact same way I did 9 years ago.

XD Indeed that would. I thought it was pretty funny how he got it. "I had that dream again...I forgot how horrible the graphics were."

I think its both, because sometimes the cutsences look better and at other times look like ingame.

PSN ID: getrdone25

All of the MGS games' cutscenes have been in game. That is how Kojima rolls lol

Around the Network
SnakeEyez said:
All of the MGS games' cutscenes have been in game. That is how Kojima rolls lol

Yeah, this is just for the skeptics.

Well you don't leave the game to watch the Cut scenese, so I guess they have to be in the game.

Tease.

The graphics look in-game, i don't see why anyone would think its not in-game..

Also, there are a few cinemas that transition right into gameplay without no loading screen or anything, just that the HUD pops up. In the beginning of the game, I believe the 2nd cinema, is like that.

There are some pure cutscenes I believe, such as when Sunny cracks the eggs and when Otacon and Naomi talk at the beginning of Act III, as well as the beginning of the game obviously, but many if not all of the cutscenes people are discussing are done with the in-game engine. But once again 100% confirming this is a little difficult.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson