By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Wavedashing/Snaking/Other Exploits in Gaming

What's your opinion on these exploits?  Are they just another part of the game?  Are they cheesy and lame, and are people who use them lame?  Are people who don't use them n00bs?  Discuss.

Around the Network

Since I'm sure a good 90% of the people that read this are going to think what is wavedashing and snaking I'll go ahead and ask what is wavedashing and snaking?

Someone else can explain, I'm too lazy right now.

Snaking is fine with me...it's not hard to do at all...

Wavedashing can get a bit lame, but most of my friends can't do it. I don't do it much anymore, I just kinda jump around and mess with them hehe.

I suppose it depends how hard it is to do the exploit. My friends could easily get Samus's double-length, homing grapple beam in SSBM if they actually tried the combination, they just don't want to. They've tried wavedashing though, and they can't really use it to their advantage, it's just too hard...it took forever for me to get the hang of it too.

It doesn't really pose a problem to me really...

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

I like playing seriously and competetively and I'm usually open to these kind of exploits, tricks, 'cheap stuff'. Especially if its widely known throughout the community. = like DSKart snaking in this case.

No one is stopping you from using the broken character, broken move or whatever. You choose to use the weak character, you choose to not use exploits thats fine.  I can relate to that too, the same old strong tactic over and over can get very irritating and boring.  But I don't like it when these kind of people constantly complain and force their own 'clean rules'. Really, as long as the game allows it, people are going to exploit it.

If the game is unbalanced or broken because of that only the developers are to blame.
If you can't handle the way a game is played at high level, then you probably shouldnt be playing it.

crappy old school NES games are more entertaining than next-gen games.

sorry, but they're crap. Doesn't matter if they're easy or hard, they're still crap. I don't know about wavedashing but snaking has ruined Mario Kart online for me. (And yes, I know how to do it)

The main problem is those who know and use the exploit will always beat those who don't. It's not about giving someone a small advantage, but making it impossible to defeat them. Unfortunately there are these bugs in every game and so long as the bugs exist people will exploit them.

Help! I'm stuck in a forum signature!

Around the Network

In Smash Bros. Melee you can dodge once in any of the 8 directions while airborne. If you do it close to the ground you'll slide. Doing this when coming down from a jump is called wavelanding, while jumping and doing it before you even leave the ground is called wavedashing. It's kind of useful because it's a very fast way to move with some characters, and there's absolutely no frame delay before being able to attack. Here's a video explaining some of the "pro-techniques" for Melee.

I personally don't mind much. Some of the basic ones are actually kind of interesting to use, and it's not like most of us will ever end up playing against someone knows them all. It doesn't affect the gameplay experience of most players and gives the really hardcore fans more to do.