By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Graphics vs. Artwork

I think this is an important issue in gaming with the direction the industry seems to be going. I'm curious as to what your thoughts are on this. Do you prefer things to look more realistic or artistic? What games do you consider to be graphical achievements? What games do you consider to be artistic achievements? How about both? What to you is the most visually impressive game on the way right now?

For me, I prefer artistic games. I would consider Halo (and Halo 2) a major graphical achievement and Okami a major artistic achievement. I think Resident Evil 4 is a perfect example of both. To me, the most visually impressive game comming out is Super Smash Bros. Brawl, because it mixes unique artwork with good graphics. This is a topic of opinion, so please don't insult anyone for theirs, or tell them they are wrong.

Around the Network

artistic... i mean look at gears of war.. that games artistic direction was amazing

THe oNLY TRue STuPiDiTY iS THe aCCePTaNCe oF iGNoRaNCe 

PSNTAG K_I_N_G__COKE

The King Of The Iron Fist tournament

I dont like realistic that much. I wouldnt want to play a game with a character that looks exactly like me. I definately prefer art over realism.

I think it depends on the mood of the game... Look at Nights, it has a surreal visual style because it is the dream world. Something like iono WW games should look real though.

In my personal preference though, I prefer games less realistic. If I want to see real images, I don't play games, I go outside. I have enough of reality in real life and I play games to escape it, so I prefer a game that doesn't look like it.

lolita said:
I think it depends on the mood of the game... Look at Nights, it has a surreal visual style because it is the dream world. Something like iono WW games should look real though.

In my personal preference though, I prefer games less realistic. If I want to see real images, I don't play games, I go outside. I have enough of reality in real life and I play games to escape it, so I prefer a game that doesn't look like it.

My thoughts exactly.I would say that if graphics get any better next-gen than this gen, I might loose interest. I may just keep going with my handhelds.

Around the Network
lolita said:

I would have to agree, it mainly depends on mood, thats why it is good for developers to have both

Realistic and artistic can go hand in hand, Gears is an example.

Best looking game ever is not Gears though, it's Okami and that's completely art.

There is no way a game is gonna look as good as that if it's going for the realism.

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

I agree with Gears of War. Very well made. All up to developers.

artistic. Wind Waker is one of the best looking games (IMO) and it's not graphically impressive.

Help! I'm stuck in a forum signature!

True I really liked WW's art. Oh and Super Mario Galaxy looks awesome, yet it isn't realistic. At first when I saw the pics, I thought it was a cutscene... I'm really impressed! Can't wait for that game!