By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Once the PS3 reaches $299

So true! We'll show them!!

Around the Network

@slimeattack

That's a commonly brought up point here, but it's a bit simplistic. I'm not saying it's not true for a certain number of people, but for the majority, price alone is not a good enough reason to buy or not buy a product.

Those who did not jump at the chance to buy a PS3 at $600 or $500, and who aren't chomping at the bit to get one at $400, are less likely than anybody else to get the system. Why? Simple: they have less money to spend (or as many would put it, to waste) on video games. So their purchases have to be vindicated by something besides an affordable price tag. For the economically minded individual looking at a product as optional, price is only a single factor, not a decisive buying point.

Sky Render - Sanity is for the weak.

If the Wii isn't still selling out then, BAM, Nintendo does a price cut and they go from making outrageously obscene profits to making slightly less outrageously obscene profits, and the status quo is maintained.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

I will say no. No. No.

Many people are quick to dismiss the "PS2 vs. GC" arguement. What is the point of predicting if we do not use historic trends?

Kimi wa ne tashika ni ano toki watashi no soba ni ita

Itsudatte itsudatte itsudatte

Sugu yoko de waratteita

Nakushitemo torimodosu kimi wo

I will never leave you

I jumped in at the $399 price point only because I already owned a Wii and 360. The question is when the PS3 drops to $399 how many people already own Wiis and 360s. By the time the PS3 is $299 the 360 might be at $199 and the Wii at $99-$129.

To me Sony still needs to push certain things on the system. I know a few people who own Wiis and don't know what Blu-Ray is. I also know a guy who purchased a PS3 to play Blu-Ray movies and not play games. Sony, commercials push a lot of games that are yet to be released. Sony needs to push games that are already out. Sony is definitely a force to be reckoned with at $299 but I think if they're smart they could be a force at $399.

Now Playing: Crysis 2

Last Finished: BulletStorm

Online IDs: PSN: computermaximus, XBL: computermaximus

Around the Network

it will sell like wild

I'd like an answer from the op, leo-j and any others who still hold out hope for PS3 domination...

At what point will you concede that the PS3 will not have PS2/PS1 success or come in 1st place?

If it's Jan '10 and the PS3 is down by 35 million would that be enough? Or would you still be complaining that the Wii is $100 cheaper so it isn't over until the PS3 drops again?

Just give me some rough numbers so I can quantify how desperate you are for a comeback.

To put it in the context of marketing a (at this point) theoretical product...

Suppose a home virtual reality set came out that retailed for $1000. Even though virtual reality is a popular idea that would draw in many dedicated users, a great deal of people would, upon seeing such a high price tag, refuse to get it. They'd see it as sinking a grand on something that they didn't need, during an economic time when money is tight. No chance, in other words.

Now suppose the price dropped to $900. A bunch more people who were on the fence about paying a thousand bucks for a VR set would jump on, but those people who saw $1000 as excessive for entertainment are unlikely to see $900 as any better.

Down to $800, and more people jump on. But again, those die-hard hold-outs don't want it. If anything, they're even less interested at $800, because they know that the price will keep dropping, and some day will be affordable to them if they still want it then.

Now let's say at this point a competitor comes out with a new virtual reality set which isn't as complex in its graphics and sound capabilities, but has a much better gameplay interface and is compatible with games from one of their existing systems. And let's say they retail it for $400, half the price of their competitor. The high-end users would scoff at the system for being so simple, but the superior interface would pique the interest of some of those who didn't want to look at the competitor's VR system.

Let's say the $800 model's makers, in a panic, drop their price to $500, just $100 more than this new system. Again, there's a wave of new users, but even fewer than the drop to $800. But why? It's only $100 more than the competition, and has much better graphics!

The reason is simple: the number of people interested in the higher-quality graphics that haven't already bought the system are very few, whereas the number of people who want the better interface on the newer VR set model is astronomically higher. Even some of the people who bought the more expensive set end up taking an interest in this simpler, but more immersive, device.

The moral of this little fictional tale is, the value of a product is not determined by its price, but by its appeal. And appeal accounts for far more than just the price tag.

Sky Render - Sanity is for the weak.

I can only speak for myself - but i will buy a ps3 when blu-ray movies come down in price. till then i'm happy with dvds and wii/360 games.

edit: assumes standalones don't become significantly cheaper and sony continues to focus on making games that don't particularly appeal to me (read: everything that's not LBP).

Sky Render, you are one of the greatest posters on this site.

*bows*

Kimi wa ne tashika ni ano toki watashi no soba ni ita

Itsudatte itsudatte itsudatte

Sugu yoko de waratteita

Nakushitemo torimodosu kimi wo

I will never leave you