By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Once the PS3 reaches $299

Bodhesatva said:
largedarryl said:
blazinhead89 said:
$299 and games like GT5 , FFXIII, LBP, and Release of home would see a huge increase in hardware sales esp Japan, Price is a really important factor for god sake if PS3 launched at $199 it would of sold like crazy

And Sony would have also declared bankruptcy.

I also don't think Japan is a very price sensitive market, imo. They do tend to spend large amounts of money on new trendy technology, but they are really size, image and power conscientious (again entirely my opinion on Japanese culture).

Exactly. People seem to like the fact that the PS3 is technologically advanced; this advancement is the exact reason the price is so high.

You can't have it both ways simultaneously, folks. Asking for a 199.99 PS3 is either asking for 1) Sony to go bankrupt or 2) the PS3 to be much more like the Wii than it is the 360. Since many of the most ardent PS3 fans seems to dislike the Wii's tech specs, I assume none of these solutions are palatable to you.

Next week: Corvette sells all their cars for 1,000 dollars a piece. Their market share would reach 90%+ in less than a month! What could possibly go wrong!

Agreed, the PS3 is a "steal" so to say in terms of technology right now for the provided technology considering pricing. Although there already are more powerful cell systems available (although lacking a game library).

Two reasons why I think it was the right choice to make the PS3 such high spec:

1) The move to high definition TVs. People will want to be able to take advantage of the better resolution and better audio equipment. This is an ongoing process, becoming an increasingly important factor as time moves on.

2) The emphasis on console gaming (nearly all PC games go multi-platform, nearly all exclusive games are exclusive to consoles). Commerical developers are nearly all focussing and styling their games specifically for consoles specifications, high end gaming PCs will only distinguish themselves by a few extras. Maybe only more resolution options, potentially higher framerates on well specced systems, etc. So better specced consoles will help to deliver us more impressive games in general.

The most highly priced consoles like the impressively specced 3DO or Neo Geo faced mass appeal difficulties, one problem was that around the time consoles were much more exclusively seen as strictly toys. And an expensive toy just usually sells less in volume, there aren't enough rich kids in the world.

Luckily the market has changed, especially Sony released many games not specifically targeted at kids or early teens for the PS2 (many mature rated games released by 3rd parties as well), changing the general viewpoint considerably over the years, gamers stuck with gaming as they turned older. Consoles have now become far more suitable for other general uses as multi-media devices as well (the extra thus, justify much better the consumer investment). Other reasons why the PS3 does this well is because of Sony's reputation of competence with regard to gaming and entertainment in general, they have a proven track record in multi-media (music and movies) as well as in gaming (Playstation 1, Playstation 2 and Playstation Portable).

Considering market developments and that the PS3 is to last at least a decade, IMO the high specs and thus higher launch price is well justified. It sets a standard for many years to come, every year in general more appealing due to more content like HD movies and better games, every year more appealing due to wider HDTV penetration and more people being able to afford the console due to cheaper entry pricing.

I think Nintendo would have failed with introducing an expensive high end console, Microsoft could easily do it but has limited general appeal due to its horrible business / support reputation and lack of expertise in key areas.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

Around the Network
MikeB said:
Bodhesatva said:
largedarryl said:
blazinhead89 said:
$299 and games like GT5 , FFXIII, LBP, and Release of home would see a huge increase in hardware sales esp Japan, Price is a really important factor for god sake if PS3 launched at $199 it would of sold like crazy

I also don't think Japan is a very price sensitive market, imo. They do tend to spend large amounts of money on new trendy technology, but they are really size, image and power conscientious (again entirely my opinion on Japanese culture).

Exactly. People seem to like the fact that the PS3 is technologically advanced; this advancement is the exact reason the price is so high.

You can't have it both ways simultaneously, folks. Asking for a 199.99 PS3 is either asking for 1) Sony to go bankrupt or 2) the PS3 to be much more like the Wii than it is the 360. Since many of the most ardent PS3 fans seems to dislike the Wii's tech specs, I assume none of these solutions are palatable to you.

Next week: Corvette sells all their cars for 1,000 dollars a piece. Their market share would reach 90%+ in less than a month! What could possibly go wrong!

Agreed, the PS3 is a "steal" so to say in terms of technology right now for the provided technology considering pricing. Although there already are more powerful cell systems available (although lacking a game library).

Two reasons why I think it was the right choice to make the PS3 such high spec:

1) The move to high definition TVs. People will want to be able to take advantage of the better resolution and better audio equipment. This is an ongoing process, becoming an increasingly important factor as time moves on.

2) The emphasis on console gaming (nearly all PC games go multi-platform, nearly all exclusive games are exclusive to consoles). Commerical developers are nearly all focussing and styling their games specifically for consoles specifications, high end gaming PCs will only distinguish themselves by a few extras. Maybe only more resolution options, potentially higher framerates on well specced systems, etc. So better specced consoles will help to deliver us more impressive games in general.

The most highly priced consoles like the impressively specced 3DO or Neo Geo faced mass appeal difficulties, one problem was that around the time consoles were much more exclusively seen as strictly toys. And an expensive toy just usually sells less in volume, there aren't enough rich kids in the world.

Luckily the market has changed, especially Sony released many games not specifically targeted at kids or early teens for the PS2 (many mature rated games released by 3rd parties as well), changing the general viewpoint considerably over the years, gamers stuck with gaming as they turned older. Consoles have now become far more suitable for other general uses as multi-media devices as well (the extra thus, justify much better the consumer investment). Other reasons why the PS3 does this well is because of Sony's reputation of competence with regard to gaming and entertainment in general, they have a proven track record in multi-media (music and movies) as well as in gaming (Playstation 1, Playstation 2 and Playstation Portable).

Considering market developments and that the PS3 is to last at least a decade, IMO the high specs and thus higher launch price is well justified. It sets a standard for many years to come, every year in general more appealing due to more content like HD movies and better games, every year more appealing due to wider HDTV penetration and more people being able to afford the console due to cheaper entry pricing.

I think Nintendo would have failed with introducing an expensive high end console, Microsoft could easily do it but has limited general appeal due to its horrible business / support reputation and lack of expertise.

Hahahahaha

Not only is that downright false, but the console versions will always be inferior.

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

daactualfact said:
Well, I will tell you what I think:

When the Ps3 is $299:

Ps3' s sales will get higher.

Games on it will sell better.

It still WILL NOT touch the Wii in any way. (i both hardware and software by the way.)

It will sell great in al territories compared to this and last year.

It will destroy the 360.

It will compete with Wii.....in Others. It will not get anywhere close to the Wii in NA or Japan.

In Others, it will probably still be beaten by Wii, but it will look like a scratch compared to what MONSTROUS sales the Wii will have already put out in Na and Japan.

*Console sales predictions are in my sig just for references.*

Good post, I agree.
Bodhesatva said:

On the other hand, Fila, the Iphone has actually been losing market share, even with the price drops. I'm not sure comparisons to the Iphone are going to suit the purpose you had in mind here, because the iPhone indicates that marketshare doesn't increase much (or actually decreases?) with reductions in price. That's always been true with Video Games, too, of course (Neo Geo, CD-i, 3D0, and other highly expensive systems never exploded in sales after their prices dropped).

http://news.moneycentral.msn.com/provider/providerarticle.aspx?feed=ACBJ&date=20080606&id=8742946

I didn't know iphone was losing marketshare, but my point was that historically people won't pay more than $400 for an electronic device that they don't really need. There are exceptions of course like TV and PCs where people will reach deeper into their wallets.

Bodhesatva said:

It is approximately -4% or so last I checked, Fila. That's why I said "approximately."

That's it? I would've guessed it would be a lot worse.

Kasz216 said:

They weren't on the same pace as DVD.... and never were to my knowledge.

Basically HD-DVD died and people expected a surge... and their was... but there was no follow through.

Blu-ray sales went up.... then went down to actually lower weekly sell rates then when it was facing HD-DVD... and has since slowly been etching up.

This wasn't expected so a lot of companies put a lot of money epecting blu-ray adoption to be happening a lot quicker.

Stores of course want Blu-ray entrenced for HD over things like direct downloads because things like direct downloads bypass them.

Stores Pushing PS3's makes a lot of sense for this as well as 43% of PS3 owners apparently watch Blu-ray movies at least once a month according to NPD. (A remarkably high figure if you ask me.)

This Christmas will likely be vital to see if Blu-ray is the next DVD or Laser Disc.

I see, well you're probably right because I found the article I read and it said it was outpacing DVD in Europe.

sieanr said:
MikeB said:

Hahahahaha

Not only is that downright false, but the console versions will always be inferior.

Maybe he meant FPS?  I mean... there are gaming expierences on PC you just can't get on PC.

I can't really say the same vice versa... outside... kinda the Wii i guess.

FilaBrasileiro said:
daactualfact said:
Well, I will tell you what I think:

When the Ps3 is $299:

Ps3' s sales will get higher.

Games on it will sell better.

It still WILL NOT touch the Wii in any way. (i both hardware and software by the way.)

It will sell great in al territories compared to this and last year.

It will destroy the 360.

It will compete with Wii.....in Others. It will not get anywhere close to the Wii in NA or Japan.

In Others, it will probably still be beaten by Wii, but it will look like a scratch compared to what MONSTROUS sales the Wii will have already put out in Na and Japan.

*Console sales predictions are in my sig just for references.*

Good post, I agree.
Bodhesatva said:

On the other hand, Fila, the Iphone has actually been losing market share, even with the price drops. I'm not sure comparisons to the Iphone are going to suit the purpose you had in mind here, because the iPhone indicates that marketshare doesn't increase much (or actually decreases?) with reductions in price. That's always been true with Video Games, too, of course (Neo Geo, CD-i, 3D0, and other highly expensive systems never exploded in sales after their prices dropped).

http://news.moneycentral.msn.com/provider/providerarticle.aspx?feed=ACBJ&date=20080606&id=8742946

I didn't know iphone was losing marketshare, but my point was that historically people won't pay more than $400 for an electronic device that they don't really need. There are exceptions of course like TV and PCs where people will reach deeper into their wallets.

Bodhesatva said:

It is approximately -4% or so last I checked, Fila. That's why I said "approximately."

That's it? I would've guessed it would be a lot worse.

Kasz216 said:

They weren't on the same pace as DVD.... and never were to my knowledge.

Basically HD-DVD died and people expected a surge... and their was... but there was no follow through.

Blu-ray sales went up.... then went down to actually lower weekly sell rates then when it was facing HD-DVD... and has since slowly been etching up.

This wasn't expected so a lot of companies put a lot of money epecting blu-ray adoption to be happening a lot quicker.

Stores of course want Blu-ray entrenced for HD over things like direct downloads because things like direct downloads bypass them.

Stores Pushing PS3's makes a lot of sense for this as well as 43% of PS3 owners apparently watch Blu-ray movies at least once a month according to NPD. (A remarkably high figure if you ask me.)

This Christmas will likely be vital to see if Blu-ray is the next DVD or Laser Disc.

I see, well you're probably right because I found the article I read and it said it was outpacing DVD in Europe.

Maybe in europe it is... me i'm talking North America.

Might help explain PS3's popularity over in europe relative to the rest of the world. It's only a million or so off the PS2 at this point i believe. Of course they launched at different times...

Around the Network
Diomedes1976 said:
ikilledkenny said:
Nothing will change. Game library is sub par for the most part, and that won't change until the very earliest next year. Its game library is honestly comparable if not worse then the GameCube offerings in the same time frame. Plus, when it drops to 300, Wii will be 150. Honestly, in the long run reliability isn't as big of a deal as you would think; PS1 and PS2 were notoriously unreliable, and the 360 has still sold very well in America. Plus, PSN will still be worse than XBL, no contest.

Game library sub par?

Compared to what ?

Not to the Wii in any case,and it is beating already the other console.

Look a bit in Gamerankings about PS3 and Wii software before coming saying such nonsenses.PS3 has nearly 3 times as many games rated 80% or higher.And even from those some of the Wii ones are old generation straight ports.

GTA4 ,MGS4 ,Gran Turismo 5 Prologue ,Uncharted ,Unreal III ,Call of Duty 4,Ratchet and Clank ,DMC4 ,Resistence ,Race Driver GRID,Colin Mc Rae DIRT ,Orange Box ,Assasins Creed ,Fifa 08,Everybodys Golf ,Eye of Judgement ,Folklore ,Civilization Revolution ,DragonballZ Burst Limit,Virtua Tennis 3,Virtua Fighter 5,Warhawk ,Singstar ,Burnout Paradise ,Tiger Woods ,Madden 08 ,NBA 2K 08 ,NHL 2008 ,GRAW2 ,Rainbow Six Vegas ,The Darkness,Ninja Gaiden Sigma ,Motorstorm,Condemned 2,Dark Sector,Fight Night Round 3.......

...if thats sub-par I hope you dont ever see whats on the shelves on the Wii.

I'm not sure you know the diffrence between above and below 80%

GTA4 ,MGS4 ,Gran Turismo 5 Prologue ,Uncharted ,Unreal III ,Call of Duty 4,Ratchet and Clank ,DMC4 ,Resistence ,Race Driver GRID,Colin Mc Rae DIRT ,Orange Box ,Assasins Creed ,Fifa 08,Everybodys Golf ,Eye of Judgement ,Folklore ,Civilization Revolution ,DragonballZ Burst Limit,Virtua Tennis 3,Virtua Fighter 5,Warhawk ,Singstar ,Burnout Paradise ,Tiger Woods ,Madden 08 ,NBA 2K 08 ,NHL 2008 ,GRAW2 ,Rainbow Six Vegas ,The Darkness,Ninja Gaiden Sigma ,Motorstorm,Condemned 2,Dark Sector,Fight Night Round 3

Civilization has one score so nothing to say yet.

Red are all below 80% except Ninja but thats a port and you said not to count them...

And then If I were to kill the multi then It comes down to 12 games for the PS3 which are Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the,Uncharted: Drake's Fortune  , Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction, Resistance: Fall of Man,Warhawk ,PixelJunk Monsters, SingStar ,MotorStorm, echochrome, Hot Shots Golf: Out of Bounds,Heavenly Sword, Gran Turismo 5 Prologue

Sorry If I missed one...

And If I count up the wii it comes to: 11 since I won't count Geomortry wars...No I'm not copying pasting again to post them...

It's more that I don't like when people put false facts out then anything...

Former something....

Bodhesatva said:
blazinhead89 said:
Bodhesatva said:
largedarryl said:
blazinhead89 said:

I also don't think Japan is a very price sensitive market, imo.  They do tend to spend large amounts of money on new trendy technology, but they are really size, image and power conscientious (again entirely my opinion on Japanese culture).

im not asking for a 199 dollar console or the specs of 1 im just hypothetically thinking, jeez, but at some point PS3 will be $199, jeez some people have an answer for everything

I didn't mean to be cruel, it's just not a hypothetical with any bearing in reality. Yes, 1 dollar PS3s would outsell the Wii. PCs that cost .01 dollars would sell even better than that. 1 dollar Corvettes would rule the world.

The technology is the reason the PS3 costs so much, and the reason the PS3 costs so much is that it's so high tech. You can do whatever you want in your imagination, but realistically that will never, ever change.

When the PS3 finally really is 199.99, there will be something newer and much better on the market that we can all drool over.

cruel nah thats not cruel, cruel is the starving people in africa having to walk 10s of miles for contaminated water, cruel is attcking defenceless creatures for no good reason, cruel is women being attcked by men, these are examples of cruel, ur definition of cruel is a clouded one. OT: your saying when PS3 is 199 people will have moved onto something else, but you also stated that PS3 doesnt have a mass market appeal even tho its high tech and all. for people to drool over something it would have to b better than PS3 ( which u say doesnt have mass market appeal) so would you say that something that is more high tech and expensive than PS3 have more mass market appeal ( im sorry but your contradicting yourself)

Kasz216 said:
sieanr said:
MikeB said:

Hahahahaha

Maybe he meant FPS? I mean... there are gaming expierences on PC you just can't get on PC.

I more meant advanced 3D games in general including for example RPGs like Oblivion.

That's certainly currently still the case with regard to some game gernes, mostly with regard to strategy games it seems, but this may change somewhat in the future (and the PS3 allows for good mouse and keyboard support). It's striking however that the games which performed best on the PC sales wise are the ones least held back by technology. They usually perform well enough on lower specced PC hardware and there's usually not as great an advantage from multiple cores (currently).

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

Blacksaber said:
Diomedes1976 said:
ikilledkenny said:
Nothing will change. Game library is sub par for the most part, and that won't change until the very earliest next year. Its game library is honestly comparable if not worse then the GameCube offerings in the same time frame. Plus, when it drops to 300, Wii will be 150. Honestly, in the long run reliability isn't as big of a deal as you would think; PS1 and PS2 were notoriously unreliable, and the 360 has still sold very well in America. Plus, PSN will still be worse than XBL, no contest.

Game library sub par?

Compared to what ?

Look a bit in Gamerankings about PS3 and Wii software before coming saying such nonsenses.PS3 has nearly 3 times as many games rated 80% or higher.And even from those some of the Wii ones are old generation straight ports.

GTA4 ,MGS4 ,Gran Turismo 5 Prologue ,Uncharted ,Unreal III ,Call of Duty 4,Ratchet and Clank ,DMC4 ,Resistence ,Race Driver GRID,Colin Mc Rae DIRT ,Orange Box ,Assasins Creed ,Fifa 08,Everybodys Golf ,Eye of Judgement ,Folklore ,Civilization Revolution ,DragonballZ Burst Limit,Virtua Tennis 3,Virtua Fighter 5,Warhawk ,Singstar ,Burnout Paradise ,Tiger Woods ,Madden 08 ,NBA 2K 08 ,NHL 2008 ,GRAW2 ,Rainbow Six Vegas ,The Darkness,Ninja Gaiden Sigma ,Motorstorm,Condemned 2,Dark Sector,Fight Night Round 3.......

GTA4 ,MGS4 ,Gran Turismo 5 Prologue ,Uncharted ,Unreal III ,Call of Duty 4,Ratchet and Clank ,DMC4 ,Resistence ,Race Driver GRID,Colin Mc Rae DIRT ,Orange Box ,Assasins Creed ,Fifa 08,Everybodys Golf ,Eye of Judgement ,Folklore ,Civilization Revolution ,DragonballZ Burst Limit,Virtua Tennis 3,Virtua Fighter 5,Warhawk ,Singstar ,Burnout Paradise ,Tiger Woods ,Madden 08 ,NBA 2K 08 ,NHL 2008 ,GRAW2 ,Rainbow Six Vegas ,The Darkness,Ninja Gaiden Sigma ,Motorstorm,Condemned 2,Dark Sector,Fight Night Round 3

Red are all below 80% except Ninja but thats a port and you said not to count them...

And then If I were to kill the multi then It comes down to 12 games for the PS3 which are Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the,Uncharted: Drake's Fortune  , Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction, Resistance: Fall of Man,Warhawk ,PixelJunk Monsters, SingStar ,MotorStorm, echochrome, Hot Shots Golf: Out of Bounds,Heavenly Sword, Gran Turismo 5 Prologue

Sorry If I missed one...

And If I count up the wii it comes to: 11 since I won't count Geomortry wars...No I'm not copying pasting again to post them...

Theres not anything more false that what you have just done to downplay the PS3.Not counting the multiplattform PS360 titles when you are comparing the PS3 and the Wii is the more stupid thing ever.PS3 has those games.Wii doesnt.Thats all ,the PS3 catalogue is right now like 2-3 times better that the Wii.

Plus you seem to confonund remakes (as Ninja Gaiden Sigma ) with ports ,as Okami ,Twilight Princess,Bully or RE4 ,along the best Wii games according to gamerankings and metacritic but straight ports of PS2 and Cube games.

Diomedes1976 said:
Blacksaber said:
Diomedes1976 said:
ikilledkenny said:

Game library sub par?

Compared to what ?

Sorry If I missed one...

Theres not anything more false that what you have just done to downplay the PS3.Not counting the multiplattform PS360 titles when you are comparing the PS3 and the Wii is the more stupid thing ever.PS3 has those games.Wii doesnt.Thats all ,the PS3 catalogue is right now like 2-3 times better that the Wii.

Plus you seem to confonund remakes (as Ninja Gaiden Sigma ) with ports ,as Okami ,Twilight Princess,Bully or RE4 ,along the best Wii games according to gamerankings and metacritic but straight ports of PS2 and Cube games.

Yes but tell me what makes a system? The exclusives. Note I did not use Okami,TP,bully or RE4 in my numbers. A remake which has more content but is the same game is a port just like Bully or RE4 same game more content. 

I do like the PS3 Line up but you saying its godly not there but it will be great by Nov I know that. Thats why I'm most likely getting one then..

Not trying to sound like an ass haven't had the funniest day in awhile...

Former something....