By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - wii sales end of 2008

Hey people i read in some of the threads that the wii should hit 50 million units sold at the end of the 2008 but itz only at 27.5 million and more than half of the year has gone by...those people that said that it will reach 50 million or even 45 million and please state your reasons...imo supply has not met demand yet but im pretty sure the wii will meet 40 million

Around the Network

"More than half of the year has gone by?" Um... it's only mid-June. That leaves six and a half months, which, unless I'm mistaken, means that less than half of the year has gone by.

For a comparison, though: let's assume that Wii sales reach 28 million this week, or close to it. That means that about 9 million Wiis have been sold worldwide in five and a half months. That averages out to about 1.6 million Wiis a month. Without the holiday boost, if sales trends continue, the Wii would sell another 10.6 million units, putting it at about 38.6 million.

Now, from Black Friday to Christmas last year, the Wii sold about 4 million units, putting it above the 1.6 million mark by about 2.4 million. Add that to our 38.6 million number, and the Wii is guaranteed to sell at least 41 million units by the end of this year.

However, that's if current trends continue. If a price drop occurs, or if Nintendo fixes the supply issues, or if demand for the console increases over last year, then we could see sales up to 45 million.

I will agree that 50 million is out of the question, but 41-45 million in 2 years is quite impressive.

"'Casual games' are something the 'Game Industry' invented to explain away the Wii success instead of actually listening or looking at what Nintendo did. There is no 'casual strategy' from Nintendo. 'Accessible strategy', yes, but ‘casual gamers’ is just the 'Game Industry''s polite way of saying what they feel: 'retarded gamers'."

-Sean Malstrom

christmas.

Neos - "If I'm posting in this thread it's just for the lulz."
Tag by the one and only Fkusumot!

Garcian Smith said:

"More than half of the year has gone by?" Um... it's only mid-June. That leaves six and a half months, which, unless I'm mistaken, means that less than half of the year has gone by.

For a comparison, though: let's assume that Wii sales reach 28 million this week, or close to it. That means that about 9 million Wiis have been sold worldwide in five and a half months. That averages out to about 1.6 million Wiis a month. Without the holiday boost, if sales trends continue, the Wii would sell another 10.6 million units, putting it at about 38.6 million.

Now, from Black Friday to Christmas last year, the Wii sold about 4 million units, putting it above the 1.6 million mark by about 2.4 million. Add that to our 38.6 million number, and the Wii is guaranteed to sell at least 41 million units by the end of this year.

However, that's if current trends continue. If a price drop occurs, or if Nintendo fixes the supply issues, or if demand for the console increases over last year, then we could see sales up to 45 million.

I will agree that 50 million is out of the question, but 41-45 million in 2 years is quite impressive.

5 and a half months.. there are only 12 months in 1 year.

If demand holds it will hit 39million at the least by the end of the year.

mM

ye my bad almost half a year...50 million is probably only possible if nintendo release a super exclusive this year and meets demand for a good 3 or 4 months straight

Around the Network

lol @ 60 million by end of the year

I am thinking 45-60 million Wii's will be sold, depending on supply.

leo-j said:
Garcian Smith said:

5 and a half months.. there are only 12 months in 1 year.

If demand holds it will hit 39million at the least by the end of the year.

There are six more months and half of June.

Basically what "Garcian Smith" said except the part the 50m is out of the question.

He is forgetting that the Wii's WW average has been increasing since supply has been increasing over the last few months and that will that increased supply Wii's holiday this year will definitely be bigger than last.

I believe Wii will have low of 48m and a high of 54m by end of 2008.

superchunk said:
Basically what "Garcian Smith" said except the part the 50m is out of the question.

He is forgetting that the Wii's WW average has been increasing since supply has been increasing over the last few months and that will that increased supply Wii's holiday this year will definitely be bigger than last.

I believe Wii will have low of 48m and a high of 54m by end of 2008.

You cant just assume its going to be supply constrained forever. There are chances it wont even hit 40million, you have to look at the possibilities.

mM