By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Free Team Fortress 2 This Weekend! Pyro Update Comes Thursday!

Just like with the medic update, the pyro update comes this week Thursday, and Valve will give everybody a chance to try it out.

You can download TF2 for free and play from Friday morning til Sunday evening.

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/53168

If you STILL haven't played TF2, you fail at life. And the Pyro is my favorite class, so I can't wait for the update.

The "Meet the Sniper" video comes out tomorrow morning as well.

Update: Here's the GT vid, though of course I'd recommend downloading the original HD movie off Steam:

Update 2:  Here's the new Pyro weapons:

In addition to the three unlockable Pyro weapons, we've made a significant addition to the base Pyro flamethrower. By hitting the alt-fire key, the Pyro is able to produce a blast of compressed air that knocks enemies away, and redirects enemy projectiles. It’s a highly versatile tool, allowing Pyros to get away from nearby enemies after igniting them, to kill enemy soldiers with their own rockets, or to separate enemy Medics from their healing targets. In particular, it allows a skilled Pyro to contain an enemy invulnerability push, and even to separate the Medic completely if the surrounding terrain supports it.

The first Pyro unlockable is The Flare Gun, which replaces the shotgun. It allows the Pyro to ignite an enemy at long range, but does require careful aim on their part. It’s particularly useful for causing havoc on Snipers and Engineers who want to keep their distance.

The second Pyro unlockable is The Backburner. This flamethrower is built for the Pyro who likes to ambush their opponents. It removes the compression blast capability, instead guaranteeing critical hits whenever it’s used on an opponent from behind. To aid in survivability, it grants the Pyro an extra fifty health.

The third Pyro unlockable is The Axtinguisher. This mighty axe guarantees critical hits on any enemy that’s currently on fire, although it’s significantly weaker against enemies who aren’t. A great combination with the The Flare Gun, or with another Pyro buddy riding alongside doing the igniting.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Around the Network

Great, everyone will be playing pyro for a week.

My preferred class is spy :(

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

(not another one!!)

Also, I thought heavy and medic were your favorite classes?

Pyro is great just because it's funny to run around yelling "Medic!" all the time.

That never gets old.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Whoa...the site you linked says there will be "significant changes" to the class.......:O

Around the Network
epsilon72 said:

NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

(not another one!!)

Also, I thought heavy and medic were your favorite classes?

Mmm not quite, heavy used to be my favorite, and I do like playing as medic...but my big favorite was soldier for a while, and I recently switched to Pyro once I realized the destruction I could cause.

edit: Anybody else getting huge spaces in their posts lately?

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

@Ben: Oh ok. I suppose I have changed "favorite classes" too over the course of playing the game.  Playing as spy though will be difficult this week though, as the 2nd poster said :(

Valve also said that they've listened to the (probably negative) user feedback regarding the medic upgrade. Hopefully the achievements won't be so ridiculous this time?

Pyro has been a favourite of mine lately, as well. I've been getting frustrated that medics can just heal tank them with needle guns now, though. :/

It's kind of an all-or-nothing suicide class. I'll either successfully flank the enemy and light everybody on fire, killing a few key enemies outright and getting some assists, or I'll run into a turret, heavy, or soldier and get gibbed. It suits my berseker playstyle.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

WOAH. I never heard of this before. Oh man, I can't wait until I get home at the ned of this month so I can start playing TF2 again. I love playing pyro. But my favorite class is either scout or engineer.

Shake and bake, it just happend.

yeah, finally. I don't play with any friends so some medic achievements are impossible, and I don't like the medic at all.

I want the Soldier update though :P

the words above were backed by NUCLEAR WEAPONS!