By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Nintendo Wii's to sell over 600k a week.

DMeisterJ said:
2.4 million/4 weeks = 600k

Who'd have thunk it?

Unfortunately, 1 month is more than four weeks (about 4.34 weeks).

2.4m / 4.34 = 553k. Of course, we'll never see it stabilize at that level; outside the holidays it will usually be lower, and in the holidays it will often be much higher.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network

demand for everything will evetually drop off, no matter how popular it is, at the moment the Wii probably could sell 1m a week, but in a few months, who knows, you also need to remember that not everyone wants a console!

NJ5 said:
DMeisterJ said:

Who'd have thunk it?

2.4m / 4.34 = 553k. Of course, we'll never see it stabilize at that level; outside the holidays it will usually be lower, and in the holidays it will often be much higher.

But data for 8 of the 12 months is used by compiling four weeks of data correct?  And four months are used using five weeks as data.

So for 2/3 of the year, the weekly average should be about 600k.

PS360ForTheWin said:
demand for everything will evetually drop off, no matter how popular it is, at the moment the Wii probably could sell 1m a week, but in a few months, who knows, you also need to remember that not everyone wants a console!

eh... yeah thats why consoles always sell the most in there second to third year.

Wii is only in the us really short on supply, in europe its usually no real problem to get a wii. So the question is mainly how many more wiis can nintendo sell per week in the us. I personally think 50-100k more each week should be no problem to sell for a longer period. with higher production numbers than that they will be able to get sales out of supply dependency ( at least outside the holiday season) which is probably exactly the thing that nintendo wants.

Around the Network
leo-j said:
You have to remember..

Not everyone wants a wii, ...

True, a few people have already been able to buy one, and don't see the purpose of owning two. 

Worldwide, consumers seem to love the Wii.  Nintendo is making great accessories and games. 

I think around 3 million a month might be enough, so they should make 3.2 million a month to be safe.  Nintendo sure better meet demand in the holiday season this time. 

The urge to play is a terrible thing to waste.

600k a week production, selling 400k - 500k a week on average, would be enough to stockpile 5 -10M units a year. Which would all be sold during the holidays and any popular release.

Torturing the numbers.  Hear them scream.

After 18 to 24 months (1/4 to1/3 of the time before most consoles are replaced) it should be clear how popular a system is and the sales trend should be very predictable. At this point in time the Wii is selling at a rate of (approximately) 30 Million units per year and is still limited by supply, so it would not be unrealistic to estimate demand at between 35 Million and 40 Million Wii systems per year on average; at 40 Million systems per year the Wii's non-holiday average sales per week would be 600,000 units.

DMeisterJ said:
NJ5 said:
DMeisterJ said:

Who'd have thunk it?

But data for 8 of the 12 months is used by compiling four weeks of data correct? And four months are used using five weeks as data.

So for 2/3 of the year, the weekly average should be about 600k.

I am assuming that when Nintendo says 2.4 million per month, they actually mean it, which means an average of ~550k per week. I'm not talking about pseudo-monthly sales here (like NPD or the such), I'm talking about the numbers we're most used to at vgchartz, which are weekly.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

The Wiis sales are going to hit a wall very soon