By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why do graphics matter?

Smidlee said:

If a developer doesn't care if their games look like crap then why would they care about game play.

Excellent game play and excellent graphics (also sound) are more often than not brothers not enemies in the gaming industry. Even on the Wii some of the best looking games has the best game play as well, SMG, MP3,etc.

It's no accident that both MGS4 and CoD4 has both great graphics and game play. 

But I'm not talking about the effort put into a game rather than why some people think graphics are the most or one of the most important things in a game. Or why they even matter at all when they aren't affecting gameplay. This has nothing to do with how much effort put into a game. I agree with your point though, but it's out of context. 

Around the Network
dtewi said:
But you're saying that the 2D graphics affect the gameplay.

That answers your question.

I specifically said if graphics don't affect gameplay why do they matter many times.

Because sometimes they add to the atmosphere of the game, making it more enjoyable overall.

Kimi wa ne tashika ni ano toki watashi no soba ni ita

Itsudatte itsudatte itsudatte

Sugu yoko de waratteita

Nakushitemo torimodosu kimi wo

I will never leave you

graphics are one of most important aspects of a game

for exampled condemned wouldnt be the game it is without the excellent lighting and graphics that create the realistic atmosphere.it wouldnt be anywhere near as horrifying if it were on...say the ps2,why? simply because it wouldnt look anywhere as real as it does now.
as technology advances,video games get better. whether its the graphics or motion sensing,the main point is to immerse you into the game.
and to say graphics dont matter in games is just a stupid and ignorant statement

We as people enjoy instantaneous gratification, and viewing the technical achievements of a game is one way of achieving that gratification. At one point or another, every user here has been impressed with a screen shot saying to him/herself "I'll keep my eye on this one!". It's a fast and easy way of getting a user interested in a game, and it'll most likely show better results showing a gamer a screen-shot than showing that same gamer a game-play demonstration.

Now I'm not saying that graphics don't matter. They definitely do. All I'm saying is that we enjoy them because they can be extremely gratifying, and we really don't have to do anything to receive that said gratification. All we have to do is look.

*goes back to being on vacation*

Around the Network

I'm sorry this 2008, you better believe it graphics is important, it's not the most important part of a game, but it's part of what makes a game special.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
dtewi said:
Because sometimes they add to the atmosphere of the game, making it more enjoyable overall.

Here is an example where you are wrong. It's art direction that affects the atmosphere rather than the technical aspects. While having a more powerful console allows for more freedom in this art design, it doesn't mean a game will be more immersive because of it unless it's used. Even so I already responded to this earlier with how I said the effect wares of after a while.

See More Metroid Prime Various at IGN.com

This is a picture from the game metroid prime. It wasn't only well known for it's gameplay, but for being more immersive. When you would walk by a vent of steam your visor would fog, when you moved under a water fall your visor would appear to be wet. If something caused electrical shock your visor would go in to a static mode. Now this game by no means was the best technically of the last gen games, but it hit it's target of you being on an alien world that while different is also similar. Look at the picture, don't heed the low quality of the shot due to old equipement, but do you see how the idea of you being in an area full of snow allows you to be immersed? Of course I do. So no it's not the graphics that allow you to be more immersed, but rather how the art designer goes upon using these graphics. After a while the effect wares of anyway when you think of more important things like staying alive, or concentrating on the gameplay. 

Smeags said:

We as people enjoy instantaneous gratification, and viewing the technical achievements of a game is one way of achieving that gratification. At one point or another, every user here has been impressed with a screen shot saying to him/herself "I'll keep my eye on this one!". It's a fast and easy way of getting a user interested in a game, and it'll most likely show better results showing a gamer a screen-shot than showing that same gamer a game-play demonstration.

Now I'm not saying that graphics don't matter. They definitely do. All I'm saying is that we enjoy them because they can be extremely gratifying, and we really don't have to do anything to receive that said gratification. All we have to do is look.

*goes back to being on vacation*

Damstr8 said:
graphics are one of most important aspects of a game

for exampled condemned wouldnt be the game it is without the excellent lighting and graphics that create the realistic atmosphere.it wouldnt be anywhere near as horrifying if it were on...say the ps2,why? simply because it wouldnt look anywhere as real as it does now.
as technology advances,video games get better. whether its the graphics or motion sensing,the main point is to immerse you into the game.
and to say graphics dont matter in games is just a stupid and ignorant statement

Actually alot of horror games benefit from bad graphics. Anyway I wasn't talking about if graphics matter or not I was talking about why having the best matters. Past the area where you get wowed by it I don't see a point.

I feel you guys are focusing to much n my opinion. The main point of the thread was to tell me why YOU believe graphics are important.