By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why do graphics matter?

sc94597 said:
Million said:
sc94597 said:
Million said:
sc94597 said:
@Million I have both hd consoles and a gaming pc, so I'm not trying to convince myself anything. This thread started as a question. I stated my opinion on the matter, and then everybody else attacked my opinion. When graphics don't affect gameplay I don't see why it's important. When they do then it's very important. Your point only works if a game is trying to be real. Here is an example of a game with good physics, but bad graphics.

Also neither physics or graphics can be 1:1 with todays technology. The only thing you need for physics is the polygons. Textures don't matter, shaders don't matter, and lighitng doesn't matter. Anyway this is an example of graphics affecting gameplay.

So how well would bloomblox play on the SNES ?

I already said that if you change a 3d game to 2d it would change the gameplay. I also said the only time I see graphics to be iportant is when it affects the gameplay. Of course if you degrade the graphics of a game the game won't be as good, but ithere is no need to have better graphics in a game that is perfectly fine without them.

lol seems you have everything covered ,I give up sc9 I can't win , the only reason graphics aren't important to you is because your into games like bloombox . Now if you were a COD4 , Gears Of War , MGS4 type gamer then I don't think you would have started this thread but then the Wii isn't even capable of playing those games.

Actually I have CoD4 and Gears, and I plan on getting MGS4 after I beat MGS3. I like all kind of games if they are good. The only reason why I think graphics should advance because I'm interested in how the hardware is used, and the methods used for graphics production. Anyway it seems we are two people with different opinions so I guess we could stop.

@ username I already said a long time ago that I won't respond to you anymore because of our history.

Edit: Is there something I was suppose to see in those videos that show good physics?

Your either A. Lying about owing COD4 & Gears Of War.B. Deluded.C.Different from the majoirty of the gaming community.

From an objective point of view you can't claim graphics aren't important , I fee lthey are important to my own gaming experience and So do a significant % of the gaming consumer. So really your whole thread is just your own opinion , even if it is an objective truth that graphics don't matter , most of our mental constructs won't allow us to play games with poor graphical quality unless other factors are compelling enough to warrant a play (e.g GTA ).

If you feel that you could play Super Mario 64 type graphics just as easily as you could play with Gears OF War type graphics then that's entirely you , as for me I couldn't bring myself to play the majoirt of things prior to the PS2 ( wit the exception of Mario and Street figter on SNES ).

I'm still convinced your trying to coninve yourself and everyone else that the Wii's inferiorness ( The graphics deparment ) isn't signifant , your trying to downplay the signifance of graphics to boost the Wii's image , yet hypocritcaly your in almost every thread I can remember which downplays or boasts about the Wii's graphics.

Around the Network
Strategyking92 said:
Chrizum said:
If we are to believe kids like you nowadays, an ugly game running at a high resolution looks better than a gorgeus game in low resolution.

I'll stop discussing with you here (even though we barely got started) because I know your kind and nothing good will come from this.

it's the 22-year-old who thinks he is mature

Oh shut up, you little 16 year old brat.

Million said:

Your either A. Lying about owing COD4 & Gears Of War.B. Deluded.C.Different from the majoirty of the gaming community.

From an objective point of view you can't claim graphics aren't important , I fee lthey are important to my own gaming experience and So do a significant % of the gaming consumer. So really your whole thread is just your own opinion , even if it is an objective truth that graphics don't matter , most of our mental constructs won't allow us to play games with poor graphical quality unless other factors are compelling enough to warrant a play (e.g GTA ).

If you feel that you could play Super Mario 64 type graphics just as easily as you could play with Gears OF War type graphics then that's entirely you , as for me I couldn't bring myself to play the majoirt of things prior to the PS2 ( wit the exception of Mario and Street figter on SNES ).

I'm still convinced your trying to coninve yourself and everyone else that the Wii's inferiorness ( The graphics deparment ) isn't signifant , your trying to downplay the signifance of graphics to boost the Wii's image , yet hypocritcaly your in almost every thread I can remember which downplays or boasts about the Wii's graphics.

I guess I am different from many people. There are a few that agree with me though. Also I wasn't saying that graphics aren't imporant overall, just not as important as other aspects, and I was asking why having the best graphics matter. And imo the wii being graphically inferior isn't significant. If I had a choice between the wii having a better online system and graphics I would choose the online system. Anyway we should just stop arguing about it. It's our opinions and it's hard to change somebodies opinion. 

Edit: Also if you want me to prove that I own both games I will. 

Million said:
sc94597 said:
Million said:
sc94597 said:
@Million I have both hd consoles and a gaming pc, so I'm not trying to convince myself anything. This thread started as a question. I stated my opinion on the matter, and then everybody else attacked my opinion. When graphics don't affect gameplay I don't see why it's important. When they do then it's very important. Your point only works if a game is trying to be real. Here is an example of a game with good physics, but bad graphics.

Also neither physics or graphics can be 1:1 with todays technology. The only thing you need for physics is the polygons. Textures don't matter, shaders don't matter, and lighitng doesn't matter. Anyway this is an example of graphics affecting gameplay.

I already said that if you change a 3d game to 2d it would change the gameplay. I also said the only time I see graphics to be iportant is when it affects the gameplay. Of course if you degrade the graphics of a game the game won't be as good, but ithere is no need to have better graphics in a game that is perfectly fine without them.

lol seems you have everything covered ,I give up sc9 I can't win , the only reason graphics aren't important to you is because your into games like bloombox . Now if you were a COD4 , Gears Of War , MGS4 type gamer then I don't think you would have started this thread but then the Wii isn't even capable of playing those games.

Note.  Goldeneye is still considered the best shooter around to a large number of people.

Username2324 said:
sc94597 said:
Million said:
sc94597 said:

That sentence in itself says that graphics are important, because as you said, if graphics were changed, gameplay would change. Graphics always affect gameplay, and therefore are important. You just said it yourself.

Graphics don't always change gameplay... what are you talking about. Take any game on a PC... and switch between regular specs and the lowest specs. The gameplay isn't changed at all... or in some cases actually enhances it when framerates aren't locked.

FPS seem to be the most obssessed with graphics... yet their are plenty of FPS games that live on to this day that have been around since the 90's. 

Around the Network

because i dont want to see a low res fuzzy piece of shit on my tv screen

Kasz216 said:
Million said:
sc94597 said:
Million said:
sc94597 said:

Note.  Goldeneye is still considered the best shooter around to a large number of people.

I'm one of them , but that's mainly due to how good and revolutionary the game was in comparison to other games of that time .  I wouldn't bat an eye lid at Goldeneye now alongside Gears Of War , UT3 , COD4 and so on.

Because games are a form of interactive entertainment. Better graphics allow a more immersive experience, depending on what the designer wants to achieve. Besides, man always wants things to look good, isn't it better to look at good looking girls than ugly ones?

its the next generation, time to move on people...buy an hd console..