By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why do graphics matter?

sc94597 said:
Million said:
sc94597 said:
@Million I have both hd consoles and a gaming pc, so I'm not trying to convince myself anything. This thread started as a question. I stated my opinion on the matter, and then everybody else attacked my opinion. When graphics don't affect gameplay I don't see why it's important. When they do then it's very important. Your point only works if a game is trying to be real. Here is an example of a game with good physics, but bad graphics.

Also neither physics or graphics can be 1:1 with todays technology. The only thing you need for physics is the polygons. Textures don't matter, shaders don't matter, and lighitng doesn't matter. Anyway this is an example of graphics affecting gameplay.

So how well would bloomblox play on the SNES ?

I already said that if you change a 3d game to 2d it would change the gameplay. I also said the only time I see graphics to be iportant is when it affects the gameplay. Of course if you degrade the graphics of a game the game won't be as good, but ithere is no need to have better graphics in a game that is perfectly fine without them.

That sentence in itself says that graphics are important, because as you said, if graphics were changed, gameplay would change. Graphics always affect gameplay, and therefore are important. You just said it yourself.

Around the Network
Bodhesatva said:

I think it's clear where the dividing line is, other than fanboys who simply parrot what their console of choice dictates.

Some people care about immersion and story telling. For those goals, graphics are quite important (examples: Final Fantasy, Gears of War).

Some people care about gameplay so much more than anything else, that graphics are nearly irrelevant (examples: Tetris, Starcraft).

It just depends on your personal preferences.

Well said. But I'd also say that in addition to preference it depends on the gaming experience you're looking for in certain games. To use the examples you have provided (my two favourite games/series), I play FF for the story, to become lost in its world, much like reading a book. So yes, graphics make the book(or game) all the more vivid and are important to me. Starcraft, on the other hand, I play simply because it is the most fun game I've ever played.

Lol, you won't respond to me because I will remain logical, while you always lash out at whoever disagrees with you.

sc94597 said:
Million said:
sc94597 said:
Million said:
sc94597 said:
@Million I have both hd consoles and a gaming pc, so I'm not trying to convince myself anything. This thread started as a question. I stated my opinion on the matter, and then everybody else attacked my opinion. When graphics don't affect gameplay I don't see why it's important. When they do then it's very important. Your point only works if a game is trying to be real. Here is an example of a game with good physics, but bad graphics.

Also neither physics or graphics can be 1:1 with todays technology. The only thing you need for physics is the polygons. Textures don't matter, shaders don't matter, and lighitng doesn't matter. Anyway this is an example of graphics affecting gameplay.

I already said that if you change a 3d game to 2d it would change the gameplay. I also said the only time I see graphics to be iportant is when it affects the gameplay. Of course if you degrade the graphics of a game the game won't be as good, but ithere is no need to have better graphics in a game that is perfectly fine without them.

lol seems you have everything covered ,I give up sc9 I can't win , the only reason graphics aren't important to you is because your into games like bloombox . Now if you were a COD4 , Gears Of War , MGS4 type gamer then I don't think you would have started this thread but then the Wii isn't even capable of playing those games.

Actually I have CoD4 and Gears, and I plan on getting MGS4 after I beat MGS3. I like all kind of games if they are good. The only reason why I think graphics should advance because I'm interested in how the hardware is used, and the methods used for graphics production. Anyway it seems we are two people with different opinions so I guess we could stop.

@ username I already said a long time ago that I won't respond to you anymore because of our history.

So you're saying, the only reason you want graphics to advance is so you can see methods of which they advance? Lol.

Just admit it, you've secretly said it many times already, graphics are important, and always will be important, because with each advancement in graphics, all the other elements of the game change, making it able to stand out from the rest.

Why do you think there is a Gran Turismo 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5? Why do you think there are 4 Call of Duties? Why do you think there are so many Need For Speed games? Do you want to know what the main difference between each game in these series? GRAPHICS, the gameplay in Gran Turismo hasn't changed much, Call of Duty still fighting in wars, Need for Speed still racing nice cards, but Graphics are what sets each apart.

Username2324 said:
sc94597 said:
Million said:
sc94597 said:

That sentence in itself says that graphics are important, because as you said, if graphics were changed, gameplay would change. Graphics always affect gameplay, and therefore are important. You just said it yourself.

Super Stardust looks like a PS1 game running at 1080p so please shut the fuck up thank you.

Around the Network
Chrizum said:
Username2324 said:
sc94597 said:
Million said:
sc94597 said:

Super Stardust looks like a PS1 game running at 1080p so please shut the fuck up thank you.

Yes, and running at 1080p makes it better.

If we are to believe kids like you nowadays, an ugly game running at a high resolution looks better than a gorgeus game in low resolution.

I'll stop discussing with you here (even though we barely got started) because I know your kind and nothing good will come from this.

Chrizum said:
If we are to believe kids like you nowadays, an ugly game running at a high resolution looks better than a gorgeus game in low resolution.

I'll stop discussing with you here (even though we barely got started) because I know your kind and nothing good will come from this.
I am not saying that at all, I am simply saying that every game out there would benefit from having better graphics, and that my friend is why when games get reviewed, graphics is a category, you can have the most awesome gameplay ever, but low quality graphics can ruin it.

Do not be confused, I am not saying great graphics are mandatory, nor am I saying they make the game, I am simply saying they can make any game better, and are a important aspect.

because if I play a fugly game for too long, my eyes hurt.

And that's the only thing I need is *this*. I don't need this or this. Just this PS4... And this gaming PC. - The PS4 and the Gaming PC and that's all I need... And this Xbox 360. - The PS4, the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360, and that's all I need... And these PS3's. - The PS4, and these PS3's, and the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360... And this Nintendo DS. - The PS4, this Xbox 360, and the Gaming PC, and the PS3's, and that's all *I* need. And that's *all* I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one... I need this. - The Gaming PC and PS4, and Xbox 360, and thePS3's . Well what are you looking at? What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - And this. That's all I need.

Obligatory dick measuring Gaming Laptop Specs: Sager NP8270-GTX: 17.3" FULL HD (1920X1080) LED Matte LC, nVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M, Intel Core i7-4700MQ, 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3, 750GB SATA II 3GB/s 7,200 RPM Hard Drive

Chrizum said:

it's the 22-year-old who thinks he is mature

And that's the only thing I need is *this*. I don't need this or this. Just this PS4... And this gaming PC. - The PS4 and the Gaming PC and that's all I need... And this Xbox 360. - The PS4, the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360, and that's all I need... And these PS3's. - The PS4, and these PS3's, and the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360... And this Nintendo DS. - The PS4, this Xbox 360, and the Gaming PC, and the PS3's, and that's all *I* need. And that's *all* I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one... I need this. - The Gaming PC and PS4, and Xbox 360, and thePS3's . Well what are you looking at? What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - And this. That's all I need.

Obligatory dick measuring Gaming Laptop Specs: Sager NP8270-GTX: 17.3" FULL HD (1920X1080) LED Matte LC, nVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M, Intel Core i7-4700MQ, 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3, 750GB SATA II 3GB/s 7,200 RPM Hard Drive