By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Final Fantasy Tactics A2 Grimoire of the Rift (awesome)

Well, will they all be unique? In FFTA a lot of the jobs were very similar (they just belonged to different species).

Around the Network
Kasz216 said:

Wait... what do you mean? You could bring abilties from the Various jobs in FFTA...

Infact that's what made it better then FFT often times. Abilties would change with
the weapons you were using. Like being able to use the fencer's abilties with a long range weapon.

I'll disagree with you here as i though FFTA was superior to FFA in every conceviable way... so i can't see how FFTA2 wouldn't be better.

I'm actually kinda upset about the laws being gone. They made the game more challenging.

The thing was that each race had its own set of jobs and was limited to them. I don´t remember much from FFTA because I couldn´t get into it much. It was very kiddy-aimed and the whole "unlocking a new place and placing wherever I want" turned me off. In FFT you could use various learned abilities, like archer abilities with sword.

I will be playing about 5 other SRPGs first, then ill pick this up for $14.99 plus shipping on ebay...

memory2zack said:
Kasz216 said:

Wait... what do you mean? You could bring abilties from the Various jobs in FFTA...

Infact that's what made it better then FFT often times. Abilties would change with
the weapons you were using. Like being able to use the fencer's abilties with a long range weapon.

I'll disagree with you here as i though FFTA was superior to FFA in every conceviable way... so i can't see how FFTA2 wouldn't be better.

I'm actually kinda upset about the laws being gone. They made the game more challenging.

The thing was that each race had its own set of jobs and was limited to them. I don´t remember much from FFTA because I couldn´t get into it much. It was very kiddy-aimed and the whole "unlocking a new place and placing wherever I want" turned me off. In FFT you could use various learned abilities, like archer abilities with sword.

Yeah, but you could do the same thing in FFTA... but better. Because some of the abilties would shift with what you did. Sword abilties with Archer > Archer abilties with Sword... because it gave you ranged sword abilties, instead of gimped archer abilties. Gameplay wise it was very similar, each race had different jobs, but they could cross class like FFTA... also each race had like... 7-10 jobs vs FF7's 18. Some repeated but their was more variety in FFTA. Plus some classes were given special requirments... like the Blue Mage and the Morpher that enhanced the gameplay options. Gameplay wise FFTA really was advanced compared to FFT.

The only issue i've seen people really have is that the laws were too hard for them. Which is a weird complaint from STRATEGY RPG fans. God forbind a strategy RPG have more strategy then "Bait someone out, then gang up on them!"

Story wise... yeah... the story was a bit childish, but it was better by the half tactics ogre wanna be story the tactics team recycled for FFTs. I half expected them to say they were colecting the stones to restart the Ogre Battle. With the Oh so unsubtle "Hey look this is really Chrisitianity... but EVIL!" part thrown in.

Matsuno really dropped the ball on it... but i can't really blame him... the main focus was to not make a big branching game but instead make a more casualy approachable game then the tactics Ogre series... but the guy isn't good at uncomplicated, or stand alone games. He writes political stories, and political stories need slow buildups over time. They need to have multiple branching storypath games. Otherwise you have to bring in your protaganists somewhere in the middle and a lot of it just isn't going to make sense without a lot of pointless explaining that isn't going to mean much.