By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Analyst: PS3 Will Continue to Outpace 360; Microsoft Price Cut at E3?

I think Microsoft is in a fairly good position to produce a price cut this year being that they will see further manufacturing cost reductions and las year they wrote off all expenses surrounding the Red-Ring Recall. Now the question is "Will they cut the price of the XBox 360?"

Part of me things Microsoft won't reduce the price and would favour increased functionality instead. It is possible that Microsoft would favour the release of a new SKU at the same price rather than lower the price of the XBox 360; depending on how insane Microsoft is, they could (potentially) even release a system with improved performance in order to run XBox 360 games at a full 60fps@1080p for $500 (this is less likely than a larger hard-drive, wireless internet or even a blu-ray drive). This type of strategy would be focused on maximizing sales to "Hard-Core" gamers, but would come at the expense of a lot of frustrated current owners ...

Around the Network
ksv said:

This is likely due to the exclusivity factor as exclusive releases on Sony's platforms have historically shown to be a better hardware driver than that of multi-platform releases. On average, PS3 exclusive games sell 45% more, throughout their lifetime, than multi-platform titles available on the PS3. Exclusive titles for the other two systems, the Wii and Xbox 360, only boast a small increase in lifetime sales over multi-platform titles. Of course, in all fairness, the first year of Xbox 360 titles were pretty much all exclusive since the other systems were not available on the market."

What a load of crap. Almost all the top sellers on Wii are made/published by Nintendo, all of which are console exclusive titles (save Zelda which is also on GC, I don't count M&S at the Olympics because handheld vs console not really comparable), one wonder how he comes up with this "truth".

Yeah, that's what I was thinking... isn't what people complain about Nintendo that only the exclusives (Read: Ninty's games) sell?

Regardless, exclusives are pretty much completely driving growth of the Wii, which calls into question their judgement in saying:

Exclusive titles for the other two systems, the Wii and Xbox 360, only boast a small increase in lifetime sales over multi-platform titles.

Then again, that quote is so full of lose and fail that I feel dirty even quoting it.  How can they expect Wii to get a visible boost from any game when it can't even keep units on the shelves?  For that matter, what PS3 exclusive game has shown us a longlasting boost?  The closest they could get would be the sellers last holiday season, which would be R+C, Uncharted, etc; and I feel that that boost had more to do with the price cuts and BR's victory than anything else, and even with that the PS3 is trending downwards, with upward spikes every once in a while.

Please, PLEASE do NOT feed the trolls.
fksumot tag: "Sheik had to become a man to be useful. Or less useful. Might depend if you're bi."

--Predictions--
1) WiiFit will outsell the pokemans.
  Current Status: 2009.01.10 70k till PKMN Yellow (Passed: Emerald, Crystal, FR/LG)