By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Which Final Fantasy is the most IMPORTANT?

Well I wouldn't know, and I know plenty of people will disagree with me.
But Final Fantasy X was the best Final Fantasy in my opinion. The reason why is simply I never played a Final Fantasy game before and FFX was my first introduction into the franchise. I enjoyed it and it made me want to play all the last generation and FFXII and the future installments that Square Enix will surprise us with.

To answer it again: Final Fantasy X is the best :)

Around the Network
Khuutra said:
Final Fantasy VII did not put the series on the map. The original did. FFVII only made it "cool", which is an intensely different thing.

The most important Final Fantasy in terms of concept is the original.

In terms of mechanics it would be Final Fantasy IV, for the introduction of the ATB system.

In terms of characterization it's VI, easily.

In terms of storytelling it's XII.

I can't think of a criteria under which VII would be the most important.

Excellent points all around.  I think for many VII is viewed as the most important because it was simply released at the right time.  At that point in its life, the PS1 had finished taking the first steps in removing gaming from a niche culture to mainstream entertainment.  FFVII was hence the first RPG with high production values (and a television advertising budget in NA) that got people their first taste with RPGs and Final Fantasy.  Its gameplay was very accessible, and even though the story and characters were mediocre at best, it's accessibility and production values made it a smash hit.  Other RPGs released at the time had higher difficulty curves and less slick presentation.

VI I feel is the high point of the series in terms of polished gameplay, strong story and characterization, with IV a close second for its introduction of the combat system we all know and love, and its own very strong set of main characters. 

Unfortunately I think VI also marked the last time we would ever see a truly great Final Fantasy title, outside of FF Tactics. 

*bleu-ocelot* said:
konnichiwa said:
FFVII =>....It was the game that introduced ithe mass to the RPG genre.

It didn't only put the FF series on the map....Many of RPG fans probably never would have tried a other RPG if that game wasn't released like pokemon and KH later..

^^ I can attest to this.After i played FF7,i was an rpg fanatic.

+2 

My Top 5:

Shadow of the Colossus, Metal Gear Solid 3, Shenmue, Skies of Arcadia, Chrono Trigger

My 2 nex-gen systems: PS3 and Wii

Prediction Aug '08: We see the PSP2 released fall '09. Graphically, it's basically the same as the current system. UMD drive ditched and replaced by 4-8gb on board flash memory. Other upgrades: 2nd analog nub, touchscreen, blutooth, motion sensor. Design: Flip-style or slider. Size: Think Iphone. Cost: $199. Will be profitable on day 1.

Kasz216 said:
Words Of Wisdom said:

There's the flaw in your logic.

Square Soft made roughly a dozen games before Final Fantasy 1. Just because it was the first Final Fantasy doesn't mean it was the first Square Soft game (do you see the flaw in your logic?). The problem with the previous titles was that they weren't pulling in enough profit. Final Fantasy 1 was their last hope to regain profitability before folding.

When it comes to importance to Square Soft as a company, Final Fantasy 1 is the final say in "This is where our success began."

It was named Final Fantasy because they expected it to be their last game right?

I've heard that before but never from a credible source so I treat that more like a myth than a fact.  ^_^

every franchise has the first one, but franchises come and go and the company's still there, which probably wouldn't be the case with Square. therefore, the first one is the most important, IMO :P

the words above were backed by NUCLEAR WEAPONS!