By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - X-Play's Top 8 Games of 08 (So Far)

I was actually shocked to see X-Play's Top 8 of 08 (so far) on tonight's show. I never would have guessed the Top 8 from regularly watching the show. Or what console the would dominate the Top 8.

1. Grand Theft Auto 4 (PS3/360)

2. God of War : Chains of Olympus (PSP)

3. No More Heroes (Wii)

4. Super Smash Brothers Brawl (Wii)

5. The World Ends With You (DS)

6. Okami (Wii)

7. Galactic Civilizations II: Twilight of Arnor (PC)

8: Boom Blox (Wii)

If you ever watch this show, it is mindblowing that there is no HD FPS love on the list. However, with all of the beating the Wii/DS take (shovelware library, only Nintendo games sell on Nintendo systems), I found it amazing that there are 5 Nintendo titles in the Top 8 (4 Wii, 1DS), and of the 5 only one is 1st party (SSSB).

On having Okami on the list, Morgan said that even though it was a port from an older title (GOTY2006 when it was on the PS2) it was so good the it didn't matter. "There is no excuse if you missed this before to pass it up again"

I don't know how much influence X-Play has on games sales (I don't think an enormous of people watch G4, but I could be wrong), but maybe it will help sell a few more Okami & No More Heroes. I still think (hope) Boom Blox will have great great legs.

I'm sure Metal Gear Solid IV would have made the cut, but since it just came out it couldn't make the So Far list. 

Am I the only one surprised that 5 out of 8 are on Nintendo machines? Or that there is only one PS360 title, and it's a multiplatform title?

BAM! There it is!

Wii Code 3456 7941 4060 2924
COD MW Reflex 541192229709
Around the Network

Ninja Gaiden 2 should be on the list. DMC4 as well... both are much better than no more heroes.

Otherwise...sure...

I watched the review for Okami for Wii. they talked about the control make you "redraw it a few times for the system to register" as well as its lack of new content even though the games is old.

but still scored on top 6. Unbelievable

clearly NG2 and MK are not good enough? Where's Burnout_Paradise??? Give me a break!

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)

I am surprised too bc they only talk about 360 and PS3 stuff on the show and i think i heard somewhere that M$ owns a portion or funds G4.

"Like you know"

kingofwale said:
I watched the review for Okami for Wii. they talked about the control make you "redraw it a few times for the system to register" as well as its lack of new content even though the games is old.

clearly NG2 and MK are not good enough? Where's Burnout_Paradise??? Give me a break!

They didn't like burnout because of the annoying DJ that talks all the time during the game....

Around the Network

X-Play can kill themselves.Where the hell was the MGS4 coverage??

spdk1 said:
kingofwale said:

They didn't like burnout because of the annoying DJ that talks all the time during the game....

and clearly the gibberish in Okami is acceptable? I'm not saying it's something that I mind at all, I'm just saying G4 review is as ridiculous as it gets.

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)

I agree with the list except GOW and Brawl should switch spots.

kingofwale said:
spdk1 said:
kingofwale said:

and clearly the gibberish in Okami is acceptable? I'm not saying it's something that I mind at all, I'm just saying G4 review is as ridiculous as it gets.

LOL...nice one. Man's got a point...

x-play has gotten better though, a few years ago they did almost entirely comedy spots instead of reviews half of the time. I remember a review for Shining tears where they mocked the game, and did not actually tell any info about it. now they seem to have matured slightly...