By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony plans expansion of 3 factories and projects doubling discs made by Oct

Sony has announced that they have inked a deal with Indiana Secretary of Commerce Nate Feltman to expand the Terre Haute facility. The $133M expansion project will add 85 jobs at the facility which already cranks out 425,000 Blu-ray discs per day (in addition to CDs, DVDs, and UMDs). Mastering, replication, packaging, and distribution areas of the facility will all be expanded to meet ever-increasing demand.

Dieter Daum, Executive Chairman of Sony DADC Global, commented, "The rapid adoption of the new Blu-ray Disc format by consumers allows us to quickly expand Blu-ray Disc capacity in the United States. Based on the past experience with manufacturing in Terre Haute, the selection of this facility for the expansion was logical."

By October, Sony expects that their three Blu-ray manufacturing facilities (United States, Austria, and Japan) will more than double Blu-ray disc output from 21 to 47 million discs per month.

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=1396

Around the Network

Good news. An abundance of disks in the supply chain will inevitably lead to lower consumer costs. Incentives will have to be given to make sure consumers actually by those additional 26 million monthly units (world wide).

You mean they can't just press a button and increase supply instantly? For shame!

Wait, I'm not sure I understand. Why are they doing this if there are no shortages? Wouldn't producing above demand waste money?

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

Well, savior that is a good point but I think that these discs will be made for shipment outside of these areas as well. Also, Sony and panasonic have made a few improvements in the design of the BD players resulting in a cheaper product which should be integrated into players as of early 2009 according to the news that i've seen, therefore a cheaper price for players will be available, and therefore a higher demand. Sony is simply adding capacity for a expected increase in future demand of Blu ray movies.

Around the Network
SaviorX said:
Wait, I'm not sure I understand. Why are they doing this if there are no shortages? Wouldn't producing above demand waste money?

They said they are increasing supply to "meet ever increasing demand."  Meaning they expect there to be a shortage if they don't ramp up production soon.  You try to be proactive and predict demand...not reactive and wait until you can't supply enough---that can lose you millions.

PSN ID: Sorrow880

Gamertag: Sorrow80

Wii #: 8132 1076 3416 7450

Because waiting your product is out of stock for 6 months to consider increasing production is not the best way to run a business ( Take that Nintendo !).

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !