By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - New Wii fitness program from a Biggest Loser Trainer

I detect an onslaught of fitness games coming.

This month we have a DS game from Ubi called "My Fitness Coach", as well as Ubi's DS Yoga title.

Last week EA announced they were working on a "western" fitness game as WiiFit is based on "Eastern" or "Japanese" styled fitness.

Now this. One of the "Biggest Loser" trainers is doing a WiiFit styled game (and it's obviously a rush  since they are talking holiday 2008 release).

If these are good, I'm OK with that. I actually have hope for the EA one because they DO really seem to be trying on the Wii. But not sure on this one (if it was good, I would probably get it as my wife is enjoying WiiFit).    

Maybe the fitness game that came out for the XBox/PS2 in 2006 (can't remember the name) will get a new life. I remember it getting very good reviews, I bet that company is the next to announce.... 

Thoughts?

http://www.reuters.com/articlePrint?articleId=USN1244297420080612

Jillian Michaels brings fitness know-how to Wii

Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:05am EDT

By David Ward

SAN DIEGO (Hollywood Reporter) - Game publisher Majesco Entertainment has announced a partnership with celebrity fitness trainer Jillian Michaels for an exercise-themed video game for the Nintendo Wii.

"Jillian Michaels' Fitness Ultimatum 2009," slated for a holiday release, leverages the motion-based Wii system and Balance Board accessory to create a title that combines solid game play with a fitness regimen, advice and exercise techniques provided by Michaels, the strength trainer and life coach on NBC's "The Biggest Loser."

"I truly think this type of product will be instrumental in revolutionizing the fitness industry and will help combat the childhood obesity epidemic in this country," Michaels said.

Thanks to the popularity of the Nintendo Wii and its emphasis on physically active game play -- and last month's successful release of the "Wii Fit" game and Balance Board accessory -- exer-gaming is quickly emerging as a hot category.

Majesco CEO Jesse Sutton said the title is aimed squarely at the growing casual gaming audience, especially women. He said exer-gaming should create a growing opportunity for fitness celebrities, especially those who already have made their mark on TV and DVD.

"Exercise and entertainment have gone hand in hand over the past 20 years," he said. "So we think bringing that to games is the next big step."

Reuters/Hollywood Reporter

BAM! There it is!

Wii Code 3456 7941 4060 2924
COD MW Reflex 541192229709
Around the Network

I'm not so sure you can say that it was "obviously a rush job" because a game like that doesn't require nearly the work to produce as conventional games, and it is possible that she was just choosen to endorse a product that was already in development.

Personally, if I was working on a fitness game for the Wii I would probably do a WiiWare game that had downloadable content for it; every week or two release a new aerobics program (or whatever) that includes different songs to mix-it-up.

Theres already a thread on this:

http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=29390&start=-0

end of core gaming days prediction:

E3 2006-The beginning of the end. Wii introduced

E3 2008- Armageddon. Wii motion plus introduced. Wii Music. Reggie says Animal crossing was a core game. Massive disappointment. many Wii core gamers selling their Wii.

E3 2010- Tape runs out

http://www.fivedoves.com/letters/march2009/ICG_Tape_runs_out.jpg