By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why are so many people requesting console price cuts?

Because people like to whine.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

Around the Network

I want a price cut because I want the PS3 for gaming and nothing else and since the extra features has little to no significance for me the current price tag for the PS 3 as a gaming console only is wayt o high. Most people can´t afford thoose prices without rearanging their economy.

Vaio - "Bury me at Milanello"      R.I.P AC Milan

In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird.
Now the world is weird  and people take Prozac  to make it normal.

If laughing is the best medicine and marijuana makes you laugh

Is marijuana the best medicine?

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."

“If any creator has not played Mario, then they’re probably not a good creator. That’s something I can say with 100 percent confidence. Mario is, for game creators, the development bible.

Because people are tight!

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot

Being in USA, having the dollar fall doesnt mean the price of food or gas falls. In fact, due to escalation, the essentials have taken a larger portion of take home income. This means less money for games and consoles...thats' why I want a price cut for the 360 so I can get SO4. :D

Currently loving my Wii x2, Xbox 360 Pro & Xbox 360 Arcade, and Final Fantasy 7 Advent Children Limited "Cloud Black" 160GB PS3

GAMEFLY & GOOZEX FTW

So this would be a great opportunity for Microsoft to cut prices and really hit Sony hard, right? Since the 360 is an American console?

Around the Network

People want a price cut because for the average consumer, paying $500+ just to have the system to play games, it's ridiculous. Most gamers enjoy games(<-brilliant observation), but have other things they like to do as well.

I'm not trying to say people who do want to buy a $500-600 console are losers or have nothing better to do. Gaming is probably your biggest hobby, and I respect that. For me, music (mostly software for the creation/production of music) is where most of my money goes, but I still like gaming. However, while I am willing to spend some money on gaming, I can't put it as a priority over music. So there is a conflict of interests, and music wins. A decent price cut would greatly help to solve this problem.

Games are fun.  People want to play games.  People are not willing to spend hundreds of dollars in oder to play them.  They want to pay what they have become used to paying.  They don't want  it to take up more of their income.

So this would be a great opportunity for Microsoft to cut prices and really hit Sony hard, right? Since the 360 is an American console?

uh no sorry. The interesting point for the ability to make it cheaper is the manufacturing price. And I am pretty much sure that the 360 has exactly the same manufacturing history as the PS3. OR in other words no honest hard-working American ever did lay hands on it.

wfz said:

The dollar value is a reflection of the import/export relationship a country has relative to the outside world.  Meaning that if the 360 were entirely US-made and distributed it, it would be unaffected by the flucutations within the US.  However, not all the parts are made in the US and the console itself is likely not even assembled in the US (correct me if I'm wrong 360 owners) which means that all the dollars that flow from Microsoft to companies outside the US become weaker meaning Microsoft needs to shell out more (except in explicit existing contracts) for the same product.

The end result will be that Microsoft's manufacturing costs go up so a price cut becomes more unlikely.  Of course, I expect Microsoft to have fixed price contracts with several of its partners which will negate this to an extent (shifting the loss to Microsoft's partners). 

Bodhesatva said:

Right, that's what needs to be made clear. Since the recession in the US started, the 500$ PS3 has:

1) Not become cheaper for US Citizens.
2) Become less profitable for foreign manufacturers to sell.

So there's two halves of the equation, and only the latter half has been affected. And I agree, profitability > install base.

Exactly.  Right now, foreign dollars can buy more American dollars worths of goods.  When one currency is weaker than another, it becomes more beneficial to buy from the weaker currency holder as you get more for your money.

It`s just a psychological barrier.

People were USED to consoles, which costed MAXIMUM 299$.
During previous gen, MOST time they were buying consoles at 149$-199$.
And now what? 349$-399$. That is quite a difference. =)

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far