By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - How much do you reckon Sony paid for MGS4 exclusivity?

starcraft said:
Lone_Canis_Lupus said:
Everstar said:
Why would MGS4 not be able to be on 360 just put it on 2 disks?

Maybe if they dumbed it down to 720p. But to keep it the exact same quality, they would have to do a lot of compressing to get it onto even 3 discs at the least.

What makes you say that?  They were struggling to keep it on a single-sided blu-ray.  At most I'd think the game would be 30GB.  Knock out 7.1 audio and your down by heaps.  Bring the resolution to 720p (I thought it already was?) and your down even more.

Add in the strong likelihood a lot of compression was skipped for dual-sided BR publicity purposes, and you have a linear game on two disks easily. 

It wasn't just the single-sided. They had trouble with that at first. But then they had trouble getting it down the the 50GB the dual provided. The audio is uncompressed so that does take up a lot of space, but there is a lot of audio...and even if compressed would bring it down a LOT...I think it would still take up a considerable amount of space. That's what I said, if they dumbed it down to 720p or sub-720p, they could probably fit it on 2 discs. But I think it's 1080p? At least that's what I've heard.

Anyway, the way MGS4 is, I think it would take a lot of compressing to get it down to 3 discs.

PSN: Lone_Canis_Lupus

Around the Network

Hmmm ya, MGS4 would be easy for the 360 to do. Most likely 2-3 dvds, and yes MGS4 is 720p. The only reason MGS4 using the HDD is for installing the game because of the slow Blu-ray drive. Plus every company pays for exclusives, maybe Microsoft more, but at least we have a lot of Jrpg's.

starcraft said:
Gobias said:
How much do you reckon Microsoft pays Starcraft?
Come now. Wasn't it just a few hours ago we were discussing your agression?

Oh, I'm sorry, I forgot you were my therapist.

As in go buy us some coffee.

http://speedhunters.com

FJ-Warez said:
Lone_Canis_Lupus said:
Everstar said:

Maybe if they dumbed it down to 720p. But to keep it the exact same quality, they would have to do a lot of compressing to get it onto even 3 discs at the least.

Would you provideme with a link about the final resolution of the game??? Because the size of the disk is almost no related to the final resolution, and if you try to point to the quality of the textures, both the PS3 ant the 360 had the same amount of ram but the 360 has the edge...

Anyways, since we don´t know the final size of the game, any number of disk beyond 3 is pure speculation...

I never said it would be beyond 3, just that I think 3 would be the least they could fit the game on. I'll concede on the 1080p thing if the res hasn't been announced...I just thought I heard it was native-1080p.

PSN: Lone_Canis_Lupus

Omac said:
Plus every company pays for exclusives, maybe Microsoft more, but at least we have a lot of Jrpg's.

What exclusives has Nintendo paid for?

Around the Network
Lone_Canis_Lupus said:

It wasn't just the single-sided. They had trouble with that at first. But then they had trouble getting it down the the 50GB the dual provided. The audio is uncompressed so that does take up a lot of space, but there is a lot of audio...and even if compressed would bring it down a LOT...I think it would still take up a considerable amount of space. That's what I said, if they dumbed it down to 720p or sub-720p, they could probably fit it on 2 discs. But I think it's 1080p? At least that's what I've heard.

Anyway, the way MGS4 is, I think it would take a lot of compressing to get it down to 3 discs.

They never said it was pushing 50gb to my recollection.  That was a misinterpretation by Sony fans.

If they were struggling to keep it too 25 a few months before release, the game's size didn't double by the time it was complete.

Put it this way.  Due to a lack of compression, Heavenly Sword had 10gb of sound, the game was 5 1/2 hours long.  Compressed, that might have been 1gb of audio.  Audio can be compressed HEAPS.  Also, MGS4 has 5-7 languages on one disk.  Make it one language and bam, more space.

Look at Motorstorm.  That was a small title with poor graphics and it took up 22gb of space according to Sony.  The reason?  No compression so that the PR department could say "look the Blu-Ray is necessary."

MGS4 on 360 = 2 disks max. 

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Words Of Wisdom said:
Omac said:
Plus every company pays for exclusives, maybe Microsoft more, but at least we have a lot of Jrpg's.

SMG, MK wii, Brawl.

Well they certainly paid to make them, at least.

As in go buy us some coffee.

http://speedhunters.com

Words Of Wisdom said:
Omac said:

i can only think of one game:  Monster hunter 3.

But capcom hate sony, they probably did it for a couple of wiifit board.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
Words Of Wisdom said:
Omac said:

Resident Evil 4 on Gamecube

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Lone_Canis_Lupus said:
FJ-Warez said:
Lone_Canis_Lupus said:
Everstar said:

Would you provideme with a link about the final resolution of the game??? Because the size of the disk is almost no related to the final resolution, and if you try to point to the quality of the textures, both the PS3 ant the 360 had the same amount of ram but the 360 has the edge...

Anyways, since we don´t know the final size of the game, any number of disk beyond 3 is pure speculation...

I never said it would be beyond 3, just that I think 3 would be the least they could fit the game on. I'll concede on the 1080p thing if the res hasn't been announced...I just thought I heard it was native-1080p.

I never claim you said it... but since we don´t know the size, and as SC has pointed out, the 50Gb thing is a misunderstood... whats the point to take it as full 50Gb game??

By me:

Made with Blender + LuxRender
"Since you can´t understand ... there is no point to taking you seriously."