By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - So many JRPG fans on VGChartz?

konnichiwa said:
Well I am, I am still trying to finish the JRPG's on my PS2 that also makes me wonder why PS3 owners are complaining about to less JRPG's on PS3 already finished all the good ones on PS2?

Because we desperately want out PS3 to be as good as our PS2, but it just isn't, and won't be until there are "too many JRPG's to play on my PS3" as well.

At least to the jrpg fanboys.

That's kinda like saying, "Why are you guys upset? The 360 has plenty of great JRPGs, just play those."

That said, I have about 3 JRPG's left to finish on the PS2. Suikoden V, Grim Grimoire, and Persona 4.

What Persona 4 couldn't have been a PS3 exclusive, I'll never know.

It would give the system respect from hardcore JRPG fans, who like to play more than Final Fantasy every few years.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Around the Network

Is Baten Kaitos a JRPG? It should be coming in the mail any day now...I hate waiting.......

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

ive never really got into RPGs be they western or japanese, other than the occasional MMORPG and Fable i never really play them

Riachu said:
Pristine20 said:
spdk1 said:
for those talking about Atlus games like persona 3, and how they sell bad.....keep in mind, that much like Phoenix Wright the demand was kind of untapped b/c of small sales of other megaten games and I don't think atlus shipped much more than a few hundred thousand copies. we never got a chance to order it at the retail store I work at b/c it was already discontinued from almost day 1.

Thats definitely an issue with Atlus. however I still don't see those games reaching 0.5 mil WW thats why I can't understand these new found tears for RPGs. I guess people don't realize what they have till they've lost it. So many posters are praising SO3 which sucks compared to any SMT (excluding devill summoner). This shows that they don't really know any RPGs. They just ride on the S-E hype.
There are just as many people who bash SO3 as there are that praise SO3.  I liked SO3 even though it has quite a few flaws.  If I ever get the chance to,  I will try Persona 3 FES as I heard it was awesome

You kind of proved my point though. I suspect that you played SO3, which is probably sub-par to the other games I mentioned if you ask those who've played all, because it was published by S-E. I jumped head first because of S-E also but later I realized that I had had much better RPG experiences. This is not to say that SO3 is a bad game, it is just that so many people ignored games that are way better than it in the same genre. For example, its kind of like crying that Resistance 2 is going to 360 when you didn't even play COD4 for PS3. Hopes this clarifies things.

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

jrpgs are by far the my favorite genre of video games. In fact I practically didn't buy anything else on my PS2 except for jrpgs. My top five favortie series are Suikoden, Wild Arms, Star Ocean, Tales, and Grandia

Systems I own (Games)

Sega: Dreamcast (40) , Saturn (25), Genesis (50), Masters System (10), Game Gear (20)

Sony: PS1 (8), PS2 (60) , PS3 (5), PSP (12)

Atari: 2600 (18) , 7800 (10), Lynx (10)

Around the Network
royalcaribcruiser123 said:
jrpgs are by far the my favorite genre of video games. In fact I practically didn't buy anything else on my PS2 except for jrpgs. My top five favortie series are Suikoden, Wild Arms, Star Ocean, Tales, and Grandia

Same here. Check all the games I still have for PSone and PS2. I only started to "branch out" because the PS3 gen kind of left me with no other choice. However, Gamers like us are niche thats why I was trying to get opinions on why people are so interested in these games now.

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

Riachu said:
Pristine20 said:
spdk1 said:
for those talking about Atlus games like persona 3, and how they sell bad.....keep in mind, that much like Phoenix Wright the demand was kind of untapped b/c of small sales of other megaten games and I don't think atlus shipped much more than a few hundred thousand copies. we never got a chance to order it at the retail store I work at b/c it was already discontinued from almost day 1.

Thats definitely an issue with Atlus. however I still don't see those games reaching 0.5 mil WW thats why I can't understand these new found tears for RPGs. I guess people don't realize what they have till they've lost it. So many posters are praising SO3 which sucks compared to any SMT (excluding devill summoner). This shows that they don't really know any RPGs. They just ride on the S-E hype.
There are just as many people who bash SO3 as there are that praise SO3. I liked SO3 even though it has quite a few flaws. If I ever get the chance to, I will try Persona 3 FES as I heard it was awesome

I enjoyed SO3....up until the ending fiasco. That in itself almost ruined the entire SO universe for me. The gameplay is fun though as is the story up to that point. I wish S-E would just declare the story to be non-cannical. 

Now Playing: The Witcher (PC)

Consoles Owned: NES, SNES, N64, PS1, PS2, Wii, Xbox 360, Game Boy, DS

Aiemond said:
Riachu said:
Pristine20 said:
spdk1 said:

There are just as many people who bash SO3 as there are that praise SO3. I liked SO3 even though it has quite a few flaws. If I ever get the chance to, I will try Persona 3 FES as I heard it was awesome

I enjoyed SO3....up until the ending fiasco. That in itself almost ruined the entire SO universe for me. The gameplay is fun though as is the story up to that point. I wish S-E would just declare the story to be non-cannical. 

Sadly, i would have had a better impression of the game if I didn't complete it. Also, the fact that Fayt never even used his special skill (that took down the Vendeeni spaceship) at any other point in the game or even as a battle skill was very disappointing. However, I must admit that the battle system was fun ( but story is high up in my book when rating JRPGs)

Pristine20 said:
Aiemond said:
Riachu said:
Pristine20 said:
spdk1 said:

Sadly, i would have had a better impression of the game if I didn't complete it. Also, the fact that Fayt never even used his special skill (that took down the Vendeeni spaceship) at any other point in the game or even as a battle skill was very disappointing. However, I must admit that the battle system was fun ( but story is high up in my book when rating JRPGs)

The battle system was great but it wasn't perfect.  Who can up with the idea of MP death?  That's the stupiest idea to ever show up in a JRPG

Riachu said:
Pristine20 said:
Aiemond said:
Riachu said:
Pristine20 said:
spdk1 said:

Sadly, i would have had a better impression of the game if I didn't complete it. Also, the fact that Fayt never even used his special skill (that took down the Vendeeni spaceship) at any other point in the game or even as a battle skill was very disappointing. However, I must admit that the battle system was fun ( but story is high up in my book when rating JRPGs)

The battle system was great but it wasn't perfect.  Who can up with the idea of MP death?  That's the stupiest idea to ever show up in a JRPG

MP death was definitely retarded. Some of the battle skills were sweet also but almost uncastable in situations where they were needed most  (Fayt's final skill called Ephemeral blast or something like that is a very good example)