By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - VGC Game Development Team

Aren't all programming languages are pretty much the same in one way or another?
It's just the syntax that's different.

I like the dot notation used in actionscript, for example.

Around the Network

I'll point you guys in the right direction in case you actually are seriously going to attempt development - look into Dark Basic Professional. Even a non-programmer can learn it well enough to right some solid game code. Blender for art, but you already mentioned that.
DB Pro has a lot of good features and add ons to it that make development easier.

Oh and we have to make up for our lack of talent with bizarreness. Absurd humour makes even the worst games worth playing.

Okay, here is my worded explanation.

I just want to try out a simple, single level. Before the level starts, I want there to be a toolbar on the right, covering about 1/8 of the screen. In it, there will be 3 unlocked items and 5 locked. The first one is a simple bridge. It can be built anywhere in between two landmasses. If it is hovering in mid-air, I want it to fall. You cannot stack it on top of ground either. The second is a spring. It is just a simple spring. I want it to look like a Mario, as sort of a homage. No mid-air, and only on ground. The third is a ladder. You can only place it on ground, and you can stack it.

I want the beta level to have a cave feel. Stalactites on ceiling, stalagtites on ground, all rock, you know. When you are in the pre-level menu, you are zoomed out on the level and see the entire landscape. As soon as he starts, there is going to be an extremely large wall. I want to climb over it using ladders. Once you reach the top, going right you will come to a rock slide. Just a very steep slope you slide down. After sliding, there will be rocks elevating at a high altitude. I want to use springs to jump across them. Then, after clearing, there is a large gap. I want to use a bridge to go across it. After that, there is a metallic sliding door you go in to reach the clear screen.

Pretty simple. The springs allow you to fly five times higher than your height. But going on them flies you to the right. The ladders are the same size as the person, and can be built to amazing heights, but you do not move to the sides. The bridge is a simple bridge you walk on.

The character moves at a medium-fast speed, and can be sped up by holding the left mouse button. The time-limit for the pre-level menu is 30 seconds. The character is like a megaman-robocop hybrid.

I just want a simple beta now. I will add more things once I try out someone's project and seeing what flaws I made in my design.

Kimi wa ne tashika ni ano toki watashi no soba ni ita

Itsudatte itsudatte itsudatte

Sugu yoko de waratteita

Nakushitemo torimodosu kimi wo

I will never leave you

So is DarkBasic Pro free and are there good tutorials available.

Around the Network
Rath said:
Oh and we have to make up for our lack of talent with bizarreness. Absurd humour makes even the worst games worth playing.

I'm sure you can find much absurd humor lurking in the Forums.

Kimi wa ne tashika ni ano toki watashi no soba ni ita

Itsudatte itsudatte itsudatte

Sugu yoko de waratteita

Nakushitemo torimodosu kimi wo

I will never leave you

^ I've heard of Dark Basic, I'm pretty sure it's free.....I've also seen the ad for it, looks nice..

dawve24 said:
So is DarkBasic Pro free and are there good tutorials available.

no it is not.

Lets stick with FREE software. The Scrolling Game Development Kit 2 seems like a good enough start-up while we learn Blender. The only thing is that I want to wait for Blender version 2.5 as they are recoding a ton of stuff.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Oh wait, I think I was thinking of Dark GDK.....It uses Visual C++....Is that free?

Ok I will download Scrolling Game Dev at the weekend and play about with it.