By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - VGC Game Development Team

So here is a pitched puzzle-platformer idea:

Basically, the object of the game is to get the character to the end of the level. No problem? Wrong. There are dozens of obstacles and enemies to get around. But you do not control the character whatsoever. The game is paused at the beginning of the level. You have an array of objects at your disposal at the right side of the screen. You place these objects in certain places so the character can maneuver around the obstacles. Be warned, you have a set number of these objects and a time limit to place them. Place them correctly and watch your character move on his own and reach the end!

How is it?

Kimi wa ne tashika ni ano toki watashi no soba ni ita

Itsudatte itsudatte itsudatte

Sugu yoko de waratteita

Nakushitemo torimodosu kimi wo

I will never leave you

Around the Network
Euphoria14 said:
bardicverse said:
Sounds nice and all, but I already AM a game developer =)

Then you should help make this endeavor easier. Show us your support. :)

I had a project just like at QJ forums but unfortunately soon after people started bailing out. :(

Sure, I support you with applause ;)

Seriously, cool if you can assemble a team together to make something happen. I remember those days, and NEVER want to relive them. The nightmares of canned projects, people disappearing, egoes clashing.

I started many moons ago, I think its been about a decade now. Got my first project as a composer on gamedev.net. FPS RPG game that fell through due to the team lead going awol cause his wife divorced him. Later got work with EST Games doing sound design and voiceovers. Game got published in Germany, called World Fables. US publisher sank like a paper boat in a hurricane before the game could see the light of day. Worked through several teams under my own leadership - lots of lazy dreamers out there. Finally got a team together and we're currently prototyping with newly acquired dev tools to get our FPS done. 

@Dtewi

That's a good idea....So since made the idea, you can make Avatar (ew, I hate Avatar....runs from dtewi) the character!

****SORRY, EDIT ISN'T WORKING FOR ME*****

Maybe we can make a points system in that game to let you buy more high-tech devices to use on your character....But, that would be too complex...

Andrex said:
ssj12 said:

Hey guys,

I'm not programmer or artist but I have a few ideas for games and stuff to make.

Honestly I've seen so many 12-year olds post similar things on the Internet I think the count is over 1000 by now.

I'm a fairly good programmer* and have just started making sprites and textures, but unfortunately I have my own ideas I'm working on.

Going on four years, am highly skilled in Java, C#, and PHP. Have a good background in C++ and VB6, and a little knowledge in Assembly.

May as well tattoo the word "Useless" to your forehead!

Around the Network

I've been programming in VB/access/SQL for about 8 years, so a game would be a very nice change from programming office software!
I created some simple 2D games in Pascal during my collage years (Including a Level designer)

I would be happy to do anything I can to help the project, I also know some Asm and C and would be willing to adapt to any other language.

Playing : PC  AOE, DiRT 2, Runes of Magic, Wings of Prey & Planetside 2  

Wii U : Nintendoland, Super Mario U  & Fifa 2013 demo

DS : Guitar Hero : On Tour

Formerly unknown as Vengi

http://vgchartz.com/profiles/profile.php?id=2331

dtewi said:
So here is a pitched puzzle-platformer idea:

Basically, the object of the game is to get the character to the end of the level. No problem? Wrong. There are dozens of obstacles and enemies to get around. But you do not control the character whatsoever. The game is paused at the beginning of the level. You have an array of objects at your disposal at the right side of the screen. You place these objects in certain places so the character can maneuver around the obstacles. Be warned, you have a set number of these objects and a time limit to place them. Place them correctly and watch your character move on his own and reach the end!

How is it?

Is a very complex game for our first try, please make it more simple... KIS(S) Keep it simple...

By me:

Made with Blender + LuxRender
"Since you can´t understand ... there is no point to taking you seriously."

STILL complex?

Fine. What about a simple Tower Defense game? That could be easy. With a Video Game theme.

I'll keep pitching out many ideas since I love to imagine.

Sugu yoko de waratteita

I will never leave you

Dtewi, if we do decide to use Scrolling Game Dev take a day two to play with it and see what it can do.

Your puzzle-platformer wouldn't be too hard for the most part. You have several controllable sprites. That's beyond simple. It's also simple to control more than one character and even keep track of time. Collision is also pretty easy since the game does all that automatically.

What isn't simple is mouse control (it can be done, but it's not easy at all). I'm not sure if you were wanting to use that, it seems like that is what would be used to pick different objects quickly since you have a timer, but just throwing that out there.

Maybe I need to detail it some more. You can place bridges to cross gaps, build ramps to get higher up, and place trampolines to jump.

Sugu yoko de waratteita

I will never leave you