By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - VGC Game Development Team

Say. Where the hell do you guys learn programming anyway? I've been looking up picking up how to program.

Been wanting to figure out how to code to screw around with in my free time.

Tried learning C++ once with practically nothing but intution.  As you can imagine i didn't get too far.

Around the Network
twesterm said:
ssj12 said:
obieslut said:
ssj12 said:

the puzzle game wont be in flash, there are 2 people on our team that are planning on doing a flash game and havent stated what their plans are as of yet.

The 2D game will be a bit more advanced. We have the coders so why limit our abilities?

so what program is going to be used for the puzzle game

im no dev but it will be java/openGL based. I'm not 100% what would be best ask our fellow game dev dawve answer.

Question for you guys though. What are your opinions on Blender?

Um, are you planning for people to make their own engine? That's kind of a bad idea. Seriously, our best bet would be to start with someone like Scrolling Game Dev and move onto some 3D engine and just modding it.

Yes I thought about that as well. In fact, I've downloaded Scrolling Game Dev (but it crashes on my computer... My guess is that it has something to do with Vista). It reminded me a bit of RPG Maker in that you can actually build the game without any actual coding. Of course, we can code in it as well so I'll give it a look.  @Kasz216: Most of us I believe are learning to code at school but you can download NetBeans + JDK and find some Java tutorial on the net.

How many cups of darkness have I drank over the years? Even I don't know...

Kasz216 said:

Say. Where the hell do you guys learn programming anyway? I've been looking up picking up how to program.

Been wanting to figure out how to code to screw around with in my free time.

Tried learning C++ once with practically nothing but intution. As you can imagine i didn't get too far.

University for me, though I did once start learning QBasic with nothing apart from online stuff. 

If you want to learn Java you could buy the book we use which I think is pretty fantastic. Also BlueJ is another handy little program. I reckon with those two things you could learn how to program Java by yourself.

Sounds interesting. Count me in.

I had a good bit of experience with C++ back in high school, but I haven't used it in my two years of college. I took java courses at LSU during the 06-07 school year, but my teacher was an idiot and I didn't learn much.

I'm much better with C++, and it would probably only take a bit of messing around to get my groove back (barring syntax issues). Though I'm not sure how useful C++ would be here.

Oh yeah, I've used Basic as well.

twesterm said:
ssj12 said:
obieslut said:
ssj12 said:
Rath said:
Puzzle platformer sounds alright by me. Does anybody actually have enough experience in flash to do that kind of work though?

We really do need some people who actually have the talent to make a game if anything like this is ever going to actually work.

the puzzle game wont be in flash, there are 2 people on our team that are planning on doing a flash game and havent stated what their plans are as of yet.

The 2D game will be a bit more advanced. We have the coders so why limit our abilities?

so what program is going to be used for the puzzle game

im no dev but it will be java/openGL based. I'm not 100% what would be best ask our fellow game dev dawve answer.

Question for you guys though. What are your opinions on Blender?

Um, are you planning for people to make their own engine?  That's kind of a bad idea.  Seriously, our best bet would be to start with someone like Scrolling Game Dev and move onto some 3D engine and just modding it.

Thats why I asked about Blender as its a full game engine and dev tool.

Still ya we will use the Scrolling Game Dev tool kit like you said.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Around the Network
ssj12 said:

You sure? I thought blender was a modeling and animation tool.

Rath said:
ssj12 said:

You sure? I thought blender was a modeling and animation tool.

it is everything

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

I have had a go of that Blender thing, and it isnt that hard to use if you read the tutorials and that

Okay, let's develop for WiiWare. Who's going to pay me full time?

If it's flash/actionscripting. I could help with some debugging. Can't devote tons of time since I am not exactly free. Don't even have time to play games much :)

I can code, but I can't draw.

Galaki said:
Okay, let's develop for WiiWare. Who's going to pay me full time?

If it's flash/actionscripting. I could help with some debugging. Can't devote tons of time since I am not exactly free. Don't even have time to play games much :)

I can code, but I can't draw.

Better off just making a popular Wiiware sized game for computer then going "Hey Nintendo? Want a piece".

Otherwise you'd need a development kit you'd have to pay for.

Which do get you'd need to be making games in your own office... which you'd need to well... be making games and be successful at first. They may wave the office requirement if you've got a few successful games under you belt.... but you'd need that under your belt.

If you wanted to start with console development you'd be better off with the XNA.

Probably by starting by shooting to win this contest

http://creators.xna.com/en-us/news/dbp20

"In Dream-Build-Play 2008 you can build your dream game to compete with other game developers around the world. This year’s contest will feature Xbox360 development only and to ensure that everyone has access we will be giving away one free 12-Month XNA Creators Club Trial membership to everyone that registers. Contestants will compete for $75,000 in prizes and the bragging rights to say their game was the best. Additionally, one of the top ten finalists will win an opportunity for an Xbox LIVE publishing contract. For more information log on to www.dreambuildplay.com"

That is if you want to aim big right off the bat. Of course that would probably take a slightly more organized proceeding.

If you won... or hell even placed remotely high in that contest it'd give you some credibility and put you on your way to make games on a system.  Though it admittidly seems unlikely as i imagine their will be some serious independent crews that have been at this kind of thing for a while