By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The perfect Analogy IMO - The Wii is the MX5/Miata of gaming consoles.

When the Mx5/Miata came out it revolutionized and revitalised a specific genre of cars. The old british roadster and ended up one of the best selling sports cars in the world. It bought back what had been lost for years as cars advanced and changed in nature and packaged it in an accessible well made package. It was always critiqued for lacking power, but proponents of the car always said that there was more to cars than 0-60 times and that the package was something magical that people could just enjoy, a true core experience. It was a true - back to the roots experience type machine. However it was not respected by others especially by a lot of those who were keenly interested in cars themselves.

The Wii seems to share a lot of similarities with the car in its core philosophies. Low power - mass appeal - diverse user group ranging from the absolutely casual to the hardest of the hardcore - sells extremely well within the niches in occupies - low entry price.

I drive an MX5/Miata- but you'd be wrong to call it a girls car. I drive it top down in some of the most intense sunlight in the world - rivaling the sahara due to the ozone depletion in the southern hemisphere. No aircon, No powersteering, Small and cramped, Hard ass springs, a turbo kit making it produce over 200whp for a car under 2000pounds, and with no radio because I think it takes away from the experience of driving. I find honda Civics (1992 specifically)to be extremely luxurious compared to my car!

Tease.

Around the Network

a crappy japanese knock-off?

Buy German cars !!!

Why would you compare the Wii to a girls car?

Yes

Sounds like the MX5/Miata is a disruptive product through and through: a crummy product for non-consumers. And one that no doubt is actually very profitable for the company that makes/made it, too.

Sky Render - Sanity is for the weak.

How about: the Wii is a white plastic thing that is winning over the grey and black plastic things. It isn't like a car. It's isn't like a TV. It's a games console, and it's currently winning.

Around the Network

Good analogy Squill, I agree :D

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think the Model T and the VW Beetle are the classic examples of disruptive cars.

Beetle:Edsel::Wii:PS360

Model T:Edsel::NES:PS360

"[Our former customers] are unable to find software which they WANT to play."
"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President. Only slightly paraphrased.

I think a better analogy would be the Prius. The Prius is a disruptive vehicle that is changing the industry. It's been selling like crazy and has waiting lists to buy it.

Cars make for horrible console analogies because there is no comparison for games.

You buy a console for games - you can't have fun with a console by itself. The same is not true for cars. A car is good on its own, and is 100% compatible with all roads.

Hence why someone calling sega saturn the "mercedes" of the 5th gen look pretty silly.

PC + Wii owners unite.  Our last-gen dying platforms have access to nearly every 90+ rated game this gen.  Building a PC that visually outperforms PS360 is cheap and easy.    Oct 7th 2010 predictions (made Dec 17th '08)
PC: 10^9
Wii: 10^8

Well crap, that sucks, I actually like the Miata XD ( ok I know I know don't shoot me >_> )

From 0 to KICKASS in .stupid seconds.