By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - ScrewAttack - Top 10 FPS Games Ever

Garcian Smith said:
@ Kratos: Portal is more of a puzzle game than an FPS, I think.

@ ArtOfAngels: As much as I hate to admit it, having spent countless hours of my youth playing it, Goldeneye really hasn't aged well. The framerate is awful, the lack of a second analog stick hurts the controls, and the muddy, blocky visuals are almost painful to look at. There's a great many better shooters out there nowadays.

@ ssj12: I know you're biased against console games, so the fact that you bolded every console-exclusive FPS on that list isn't exactly unexpected. Also, SS2 and Bioshock are sufficiently removed from each-other (the latter is just the spiritual sequel to the former, and not a direct sequel) that I see no issue with listing both. Finally, Wolf3D, like Goldeneye, hasn't aged well at all; it's basically an FPS in its most basic form, which really isn't anything to write home about nowadays.

So the first FPS ever made hasnt aged well... the mod community says different. As for GoldenEye, the best console FPS ever made, has aged just liike Perfect Dark.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Around the Network

I think Half-life 1/2 are extremely overrated, they wouldn't be on my top 10 list.

but anyway, this is one guys list not yours, i don't see why people bash it because they don't agree with it. OF COURSE you won't agree with any top 10 list, because it's not your list it's someone else's.

Profcrab said:
rocketpig said:
WTF? Doom 3 makes the list, Half-Life and Doom 2 don't, and GoldenEye gets number one?

I often wonder what those Screw Attack boys are smoking when they compile these lists.

I generally leave Doom off of my list. Once you even consider Wolfenstein 3D, then Doom is just an upgrade with a BFG. It does have the BFG though so I guess that should get it added somewhere.

I give that post a 9.6.

Everything is better with the BFG.

I don't mind them leaving off Doom 2 but adding Doom 3 and leaving off Half-Life is just criminal.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

ssj12 said:
Garcian Smith said:

@ ArtOfAngels: As much as I hate to admit it, having spent countless hours of my youth playing it, Goldeneye really hasn't aged well. The framerate is awful, the lack of a second analog stick hurts the controls, and the muddy, blocky visuals are almost painful to look at. There's a great many better shooters out there nowadays.

@ ssj12: I know you're biased against console games, so the fact that you bolded every console-exclusive FPS on that list isn't exactly unexpected. Also, SS2 and Bioshock are sufficiently removed from each-other (the latter is just the spiritual sequel to the former, and not a direct sequel) that I see no issue with listing both. Finally, Wolf3D, like Goldeneye, hasn't aged well at all; it's basically an FPS in its most basic form, which really isn't anything to write home about nowadays.

So the first FPS ever made hasnt aged well... the mod community says different. As for GoldenEye, the best console FPS ever made, has aged just liike Perfect Dark.

That one thing alone should keep it out of the #1 spot.

Number 1 FPS game of all time is R:FoM.

MGS4!

Around the Network
rocketpig said:
Profcrab said:
rocketpig said:
WTF? Doom 3 makes the list, Half-Life and Doom 2 don't, and GoldenEye gets number one?

I often wonder what those Screw Attack boys are smoking when they compile these lists.

I generally leave Doom off of my list. Once you even consider Wolfenstein 3D, then Doom is just an upgrade with a BFG. It does have the BFG though so I guess that should get it added somewhere.

I give that post a 9.6.

I don't mind them leaving off Doom 2 but adding Doom 3 and leaving off Half-Life is just criminal.

IF they put Haf-Life as the entire franchise it would be better. alf-Life 2 without the episodes or Half-Life doesnt make sense. You lose so much great story.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please

Q_A_X said:
Number 1 FPS game of all time is R:FoM.

haha no

ssj12 said:
rocketpig said:
Profcrab said:
rocketpig said:

I give that post a 9.6.

IF they put Haf-Life as the entire franchise it would be better. alf-Life 2 without the episodes or Half-Life doesnt make sense. You lose so much great story.

True. They could have just listed the entire Half-Life family of games.

rocketpig said:
ssj12 said:
Garcian Smith said:

That still does not mean it doesn't deserve a place in the top 10, but i agree #1 is a bit to high. maybe #5?

ssj12 said:
rocketpig said:
ssj12 said:
Garcian Smith said:

That still does not mean it doesn't deserve a place in the top 10, but i agree #1 is a bit to high. maybe #5?

It definitely should hit the Top 10 but putting a game like that in the #1 spot shows extreme console bias.

Just for a frame of reference, Half-Life came out just a year after Goldeneye. Look at those two games together and you get a proper understaning of just how far behind console FPS games are (doubly so if you factor in the terrible N64 control system).