By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - ScrewAttack - Top 10 FPS Games Ever

Halo should not be in the list. Or half-life/ bioshock should be and must be above Halo.

Oh and also, Portal instead of Doom 3.

PSN ID: clemens-nl                                                                                                                

Around the Network
Garcian Smith said:

The list for those who don't want to sit through that awful video:

10) Bioshock
9) Doom 3
8) Half-Life 2
7) Duke Nukem 3D
6) CounterStrike
5) Quake
4) Wolfenstein 3D
3) Call of Duty 4
2) Halo
1) Goldeneye

Yet another "Top 10" list that both confuses "influential" with "best," and picks a whole lot of dumb games over the smarter alternatives. Most older FPSs are shallow gore-fests that most older gamers would find boring as hell if they hadn't played them when they were 13. The only ones that should be on that list, IMO, are Bioshock, HL2, and CoD4, and here's how they should be:

10) The Darkness (Though I may be tilted more toward this one than some)
9) Oddworld Stranger's Wrath
8) Deus Ex
7) Unreal Tournament
6) System Shock 2
5) CoD 4
4) Perfect Dark
3) Metroid Prime
2) Bioshock
1) Half-Life 2

Also, watching that video has reminded me of how much bitter hate I hold for "gaming journalism." It seems like GameTrailers were gunning for the 15 year old crowd, but missed even that mark and just ended up insulting everyone's intelligence.

The add of Metroid Prime and Dues Ex is a +10 for you, though the absence of Goldeneye gives you a -100.

Garcian Smith said:

The list for those who don't want to sit through that awful video:

10) Bioshock
9) Doom 3
8) Half-Life 2
7) Duke Nukem 3D
6) CounterStrike
5) Quake
4) Wolfenstein 3D
3) Call of Duty 4
2) Halo
1) Goldeneye

Yet another "Top 10" list that both confuses "influential" with "best," and picks a whole lot of dumb games over the smarter alternatives. Most older FPSs are shallow gore-fests that most older gamers would find boring as hell if they hadn't played them when they were 13. The only ones that should be on that list, IMO, are Bioshock, HL2, and CoD4, and here's how they should be:

10) The Darkness (Though I may be tilted more toward this one than some)
9) Oddworld Stranger's Wrath

8) Deus Ex
7) Unreal Tournament
6) System Shock 2
5) CoD 4
4) Perfect Dark
3) Metroid Prime
2) Bioshock
1) Half-Life 2

Also, watching that video has reminded me of how much bitter hate I hold for "gaming journalism." It seems like GameTrailers were gunning for the 15 year old crowd, but missed even that mark and just ended up insulting everyone's intelligence.

even your list sucks.... GoldenEye 007 has to be on the top 10 no matter what, same with Wolf 3D.

The bolded should not be on that list. Italic is an either or not both.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

I would have chosen other ones.. Half Life 2 number one....And Halo would be a lot lower...The only thing that I really like about Halo is the Theme...

@ Kratos: Portal is more of a puzzle game than an FPS, I think.

@ ArtOfAngels: As much as I hate to admit it, having spent countless hours of my youth playing it, Goldeneye really hasn't aged well. The framerate is awful, the lack of a second analog stick hurts the controls, and the muddy, blocky visuals are almost painful to look at. There's a great many better shooters out there nowadays.

@ ssj12: I know you're biased against console games, so the fact that you bolded every console-exclusive FPS on that list isn't exactly unexpected. Also, SS2 and Bioshock are sufficiently removed from each-other (the latter is just the spiritual sequel to the former, and not a direct sequel) that I see no issue with listing both. Finally, Wolf3D, like Goldeneye, hasn't aged well at all; it's basically an FPS in its most basic form, which really isn't anything to write home about nowadays.

"'Casual games' are something the 'Game Industry' invented to explain away the Wii success instead of actually listening or looking at what Nintendo did. There is no 'casual strategy' from Nintendo. 'Accessible strategy', yes, but ‘casual gamers’ is just the 'Game Industry''s polite way of saying what they feel: 'retarded gamers'."

-Sean Malstrom

Around the Network

Yea, I have some issues with that list. The original Half-Life should have been on the list, Doom 3 should not have been there. I've played every game on that list. Duke Nukem is a humorous inclusion but it wasn't anything too special, just funny.

Games that should have been considered.

Descent (how the hell does this game get missed when talking shooters, yes you were in a ship but it wasn't a sim game. It was an FPS with full range of motion)
Shogo (has everyone but me forgotten about this game?)
Unreal Tournament
Battlefield 1942 (how did this game not make the list?)
Tribes (the first open battlefield online shooter)
Half-Life

Games I agree with:
Call of Duty 4
Wolfenstein 3D (how can you not, really)
Halo
Half-Life 2 (although I kinda want to swap it for HL1)
Golden-Eye (but not at #1)
Counter-Strike
Quake

My list:

10: Tribes
9: Halo
8: Unreal Tournament
7: Quake
6: Battlefield 1942
5: Golden-Eye
4: Call of Duty 4
3: Descent
2: Counter-Strike
1: Half-Life (game of the year 1998 but was still selling for $30 in 2003. Half the game was the game itself and the other half were the mods. HL mods are still played in great numbers.)

I'm not mentioning Wolfenstein 3D anymore on a top 10 list. It gets the honorable mention of being the father of all FPS games. It was a very basic game that started it all. I don't want to try and apply standards to it. It is the immortal father of FPS.

I give their list a 9.3.

Thank god for the disable signatures option.

that list fails for lack of Unreal Tournament

Mine would be something like:

10 Call of Duty: 4. Modern Warfare.

9 Half Life.

8 Timesplitters: Future Perfect.

7 Halo.

6 Wolfenstein 3D.

5 Quake 3: Arena.

4 Counter Strike: Source.

3 Doom

2 Goldeneye.

1 Half Life 2. 

---

Noteable mentions: Metroid Prime, Deus Ex, Team Fortress 2, Portal, Duke Nukem 3D, BattleField: Modern Combat. 

THE NETHERLANDS

WTF? Doom 3 makes the list, Half-Life and Doom 2 don't, and GoldenEye gets number one?

I often wonder what those Screw Attack boys are smoking when they compile these lists.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

rocketpig said:
WTF? Doom 3 makes the list, Half-Life and Doom 2 don't, and GoldenEye gets number one?

I often wonder what those Screw Attack boys are smoking when they compile these lists.

I generally leave Doom off of my list.  Once you even consider Wolfenstein 3D, then Doom is just an upgrade with a BFG.  It does have the BFG though so I guess that should get it added somewhere.

I give that post a 9.6. 

Thank god for the disable signatures option.