By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Is there a reason why its called the Xbox...360

sc94597 said:
The Ghost of RubangB said:
Before you try to decipher the meaning of the 360 you must decipher the meaning of the original "XBox."

The GameCube: a box of gaming.

The PlayStation: a station in which to play.

The XBox: a box with an X on it.

It's short for direct x box.

Yeah, that would be the most realistic answer.

Around the Network

Pretty simple, can even google it. They didnt want the XBOX 2 to be up against the Playstation 3. Sounds bad. So they named it the XBOX360 so it had a mental impact of also being a "3"

Marketing and all that.

I own all three current consoles and a great gaming rig, now thats out of the way.

This space Reserved for the Nuggets of Wisdom dropped by Bladeforce:

"Why post something like this when all it will get is PS3 owners blinded to reality replying? BOTH THE PS3 AND BLUE-RAY WILL NOT LAST 3 YEARS! TECHNOLOGY CHANGED TOO FAST!"

"is it Wii FIt that has sold as many as PS3's sold? Thats a LOL Look at the total sales of software is it just me that sees Nintendo titles hitting 10m+ and you say they arent making a difference? Another LOL!"

"Hell, with all the negative hype Sony spin, people just aren't interested cost is too high and to get the true HD experience (1080p, 7.1 surround) you will need a $1000+ system. THAT IS GOING TO DO IT IN A RECESSION! PS4 will not happen"

JaggedSac said:
sc94597 said:
The Ghost of RubangB said:
Before you try to decipher the meaning of the 360 you must decipher the meaning of the original "XBox."

The GameCube: a box of gaming.

The PlayStation: a station in which to play.

The XBox: a box with an X on it.

It's short for direct x box.

Yeah, that would be the most realistic answer.

It is the oly answer that would be correct. Microsoft already said that what it was based off of. 

disolitude said:
ssj12 said:
disolitude said:
Its a 360...full circle...complete package...gentle summer rain.

I dunno man... :P

if it was a complete package wouldnt it contain working parts?

Hah...easy 5 points for ssj12 there.

But you know what they say...Train station is there the train stops, bus station is where a bus stops...therefore a playstation must be where the play _ _ _ _ _

You do know those are the same places their respective transports start at right?
A train might stop at a train station but it also starts at the train station. Not only does it start again, the train also comes back after it does its route.
By that analogy, the Playstation should be the console people keep coming to to play, stop playing, then comeback to play again after they've done their "route".

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------                         iclim4 - "The Friends Thread changed my life!" (Pervert Alert!)                                            Tags? 

Sheesh, can't believe it was this hard to find.

Anyway, behold, this is how you do a 360 and walk away. :3

The Mother 3 Fan Translation is done! Everyone go get it right now! (Mother3.fobby.net)

Play Earthbound for the SNES ; ; Do it, it's awesome!

Proud participater of this year's Wii Secret Santa event! Hopefully you'll join the merriment next year!
Link below because I fail at embedding urls.

http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=51169&page=1

Around the Network

lmfao.. this thread is epic win!

Check out my game about moles ^

Because of the PR. MS knew they were going to have to spin this one very much.

360º degrees of pure spin, I'm too dizzy.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

and PS3 fanboys say that nintendo and 360 fanboys invade their forum..... righhhhhhhhhht..

Anyway, some nice responses, well at least the ones that showed a bit of originality were funny i.e Loud_hot_white_box was solid :)

ItsaMii said:
1) MS sell it to reatailers
2) Retailers sell it to you
3) X360 RROD and you send it back to MS

Lol.  That's classic.

"Naturally the common people don't want war: Neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, IT IS THE LEADERS of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is TELL THEM THEY ARE BEING ATTACKED, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. IT WORKS THE SAME IN ANY COUNTRY."  --Hermann Goering, leading Nazi party member, at the Nuremberg War Crime Trials 

Conservatives:  Pushing for a small enough government to be a guest in your living room, or even better - your uterus.

The Onion did an infographic when the 360 came out about it's various features. One of them was "Can turn all the way around, apparently."

My consoles and the fates they suffered:

Atari 7800 (Sold), Intellivision (Thrown out), Gameboy (Lost), Super Nintendo (Stolen), Super Nintendo (2nd copy) (Thrown out by mother), Nintendo 64 (Still own), Super Nintendo (3rd copy) (Still own), Wii (Sold)

A more detailed history appears on my profile.