By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3 in control US nuclear arsenal

PS3 Components Used To Build World's Fastest Computer

Mike Kent, http://www.newsfactor.com">newsfactor.com Mon Jun 9, 5:06 PM ET

A supercomputer with components originally developed for Sony's PlayStation video-game console has become the world's fastest computer.

IBM said the computer, nicknamed Roadrunner, can process more than 1,000 trillion calculations per second, known as a petaflop. Built for the Energy Department's Los Alamos lab with off-the-shelf components, Roadrunner is named for the state bird of New Mexico and will be used to monitor the U.S. nuclear-weapons stockpile.

Roadrunner cost $133 million and is twice as fast as IBM's Blue Gene system, which had been considered the world's most powerful. The Blue Gene is at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory in California.

Along with almost 7,000 dual-core processors from Advanced Micro Devices, the Roadrunner also has almost 13,000 improved Cell microprocessors originally developed by IBM, Toshiba and Sony Computer Entertainment for the PlayStation 3. The Cell combines the Power Architecture instruction set with coprocessors to accelerate computing.

Roadrunner will make it possible for the Energy Department's National Nuclear Security Administration to certify the reliability of the U.S. stockpile of nuclear weapons without the need for underground nuclear tests. To accomplish this, it will be used to solve classified military problems.

"Roadrunner tells us about what will happen in the next decade," said Horst Simon, associate laboratory director for computer science at the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory. "Technology is coming from the consumer electronics market, and the innovation is happening first in terms of cell phones and embedded electronics."

Since President George H.W. Bush ended underground nuclear tests in 1992, the United States has relied on research and development to extend the life of the stockpile of nuclear weapons, most of which were created 30 to 40 years ago.

To illustrate the power of Roadrunner, the Energy Department said it can perform a calculation in one day that would take 46 years if everyone on Earth used a hand calculator for 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

U.S. Secretary of Energy Samuel Bodman said, "Roadrunner will not only play a key role in maintaining the U.S. nuclear deterrent, it will also contribute to solving our global energy challenges and open new windows of knowledge in the basic scientific research fields."

Before Roadrunner begins verifying nuclear weapons, it will be used to explore scientific problems like climate change.

Some observers see the Roadrunner as a resurgence in supercomputing for the United States, which dominated the field from the 1960s to 2002 when Japan's Earth Simulator briefly became the world's fastest by executing more than 35 trillion mathematical calculations per second.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nf/20080609/bs_nf/60205

"I like my steaks how i like my women.  Bloody and all over my face"

"Its like sex, but with a winner!"

MrBubbles Review Threads: Bill Gates, Jak II, Kingdom Hearts II, The Strangers, Sly 2, Crackdown, Zohan, Quarantine, Klungo Sssavesss Teh World, MS@E3'08, WATCHMEN(movie), Shadow of the Colossus, The Saboteur

Around the Network

Dude... it's a much better Cell processor. The Cell processor is not only a Sony product.

It was developed by Toshiba, Sony and IBM. IBM is the producer of that supercomputer, using a lot more advance Cell procesors, not the ones in the PS3.

In fact, its a very modified Cell processor, called IBM PowerXCell:  In May 2008, IBM introduced the high-performance double-precision floating-point version of the Cell processor, the PowerXCell 8i, at the 65 nm feature size.

But the main power comes from the AMD Processors. The PowerXCells is just to accelerate the speed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_Roadrunner

"IBM Roadrunner uses an updated version of the Cell processor, manufactured using 65 nm technology and enhanced SPUs that can handle double precision calculations in the 128-bit registers, reaching double precision 100 GFLOPs"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cell_microprocessor#Supercomputing

pff, 133 mil...thats nothing

Fernando said:
Dude... its a modified Cell processor. The Cell processor is not only a Sony product.

It was developed by Toshiba, Sony and IBM. IBM is the producer of that supercomputer, using a lot more advance Cell procesors, not the ones in the PS3.

thanks tips

LOL wtf

Proud Owner of  a Wii and Xbox 360 and a PS3(When I get the money)

Around the Network

=p

Fernando said:

Dude... it's a much better Cell processor. The Cell processor is not only a Sony product.

In fact, its a very modified Cell processor, called IBM PowerXCell: In May 2008, IBM introduced the high-performance double-precision floating-point version of the Cell processor, the PowerXCell 8i, at the 65 nm feature size.

But the main power comes from the AMD Processors. The PowerXCells is just to accelerate the speed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_Roadrunner

"IBM Roadrunner uses an updated version of the Cell processor, manufactured using 65 nm technology and enhanced SPUs that can handle double precision calculations in the 128-bit registers, reaching double precision 100 GFLOPs"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cell_microprocessor#Supercomputing

Developed by Sony, IBM, and Toshiba, at Sony's initiation.

Faster Cell is still Cell.  Some version of which will be in PS4. 

Sorry you don't like the title of the article, must suck. 

Skynet is about to go online.

"Naturally the common people don't want war: Neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, IT IS THE LEADERS of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is TELL THEM THEY ARE BEING ATTACKED, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. IT WORKS THE SAME IN ANY COUNTRY."  --Hermann Goering, leading Nazi party member, at the Nuremberg War Crime Trials 

Conservatives:  Pushing for a small enough government to be a guest in your living room, or even better - your uterus.

FinalEvangelion said:
Skynet is about to go online.

lol!

Wouldn't you prefer a nice game of chess?

Bethesda's Todd Howard "if install base really mattered, we'd all make board games, because there are a lot of tables."

Feel free to add me ...

PSN ID - jedson328
XBL Gamertag - jedson328