By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why do I feel so uninterested in most games nowadays?

Hyperion said:
It's you, dude. You're getting old :p

I can't tell what's up with you, but I've been gaming for ten years and FFXII, RE4, GoW, SMG and Zelda:TP all made me giddy and joyful. Hope you can find another hobby :p

Noooo! I don't want to grow old!!!

But I must say that SMG actually made me feel like one of those people in the Wii commercials, waving their hands around and with a huge smile plastered on my lips. But that and Portal are really the only games like that making me feel that way in a looooong time. And just to throw in an unimportant piece of information, I have been gaming for 18 years or more now. 

@rubang: Yes. I am a huge fan of Boom Blox. I have yet to try Wii Fit, but I will be getting around to it one of these days.

This is invisible text!

Around the Network

I totally understand. I'm in my mid 20s, been gaming since I was 3 and I just rarely get excited for games anymore. Most traditional games that young whipper snappers are all gung ho about really don't appeal to me at all. I never beat bioshock, or oblivion, really didn't care about COD4 after playing it for a couple hours, I like brawl, but I don't love brawl, not that interested in MGS4 or the conduit. Most games just have a "been there done that" kind of feel to them.

It's the odd unique games that I really enjoy these days, and occasionally a little piece of well done gaming tradition (Such as Mario Galaxy). I loved boom blox, I'm enjoying my new wii-fit

You can find me on facebook as Markus Van Rijn, if you friend me just mention you're from VGchartz and who you are here.

BCrayfish said:
I've felt the same way for quite a while now. If it doesn't offer anything besides doing things a little bigger then I lose interest in the game pretty quickly. I've been shooting aliens for twenty years, slapping on a new coat of paint doesn't really do it for me anymore.

Hmmm, I'm the same way as this guy :3 but with 4 years less shootings. Things interest me way less this year. There are hardly any games that I've pre-ordered this gen, where as the GC/PS2 gen I remember reserving a bunch and stuff :3 eh, I still love my DS and SNES though :3 The Wii is goin' alright for me too, but I still don't really get excited for many games anymore.

Exceptions would be: Pikmin 3, Mother anything, Mario/Zelda/Kirby. EBA/Ouendan. And that's probably it.

The Mother 3 Fan Translation is done! Everyone go get it right now! (Mother3.fobby.net)

Play Earthbound for the SNES ; ; Do it, it's awesome!

Proud participater of this year's Wii Secret Santa event! Hopefully you'll join the merriment next year!
Link below because I fail at embedding urls.

http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=51169&page=1

You're just burnt out.
Try out some handheld gaming for a change. Especially the DS, since it gives you totally different kind of interaction.

I can totally relate to what you're saying.  

Age definitely has something to do with it.  But it doesn't necessarily mean our taste has become simpler or more casual as we've gotten older.  

It's just that we've got more experienced with game in general.

Like BCrayfish said, "I've been shooting aliens for twenty years, slapping on a new coat of paint doesn't really do it for me anymore."

There are literally hundreds of game formulas and templates in our head, which we naturally collected over the years.  It's rare to find something new or interesting these days.

Most games are very predictable in essence.  With only a few hours of play, I can already sense, with reasonable accuracy, where the game is going and ends up.  

Seeking something new, we, experienced gamers, first look for bigger and more complex titles.  This is understandable.  We hope that big games will surprise us.  

But after a while, say 30 epic games later, it becomes painfully obvious that the bigger-complex approach doesn't necessarily offer us something new.  

After this, we usually become less willing to invest a lot of time learning or mastering big complex games because it's usually decreasing returns - the more time and effort we put into the game, the less rate of return (Fun / Effort) it becomes.

Few games have a good rate of return.  

A game like Boom Blox is very efficient to have fun because that it has a flat learning curve and yet is entertaining even for the been-there-done-that crowd.  

Mastering the game mechanics in fact takes a lot of time and therefore the gameplay has a depth, but studying it doesn't really feel like a job because of its simple design.  

So I play Boom Blox.  

Then a younger gamer comes, looks at me, and says

"Ha! You ARE a casual gamer!"  

and I can't help but feel the irony.  

No, it's not going to stop  'Til you wise up
No, it's not going to stop  So just ... give up
- Aimee Mann

Around the Network

The older I get the less excited I get about games. Only SMG like an old friend coming back has interested me lately.

Although if they remake The Secret of Monkey Island games for the wii. I will be at the store before opening time.

try what they call "not hardcore" games on the wii
mercury melt down
boom blox
marble mania
elebits
wii fit
and u didnt mention galaxy ! o.o so assume u didnt try it ! GET IT NOU !

@onomeru
Thanks, that was a pretty good explenation. :)

This is invisible text!

Because you are playing rehashes? When I get bored, I try new genres! I tried SRPG and I love it, not I am going back and playing SRPGS from the last 3 gens. I would definatly recommend Patapon for PSP- its so fresh and origianl, I loved it! Loco Roco for PSP is supposed to be original as well.

Slimebeast said:
Killergran said:

I know a lot of you out there have similar experiences, finding games harder and harder to have really fun with. Maybe it's just a part of growing up. Maybe it's inevitable. I just know that I don't like it.

Share your thoughts with me, please.

*nods*

You get older and just stop getting excited about fun stuff. I remember when I was a teenager, I was trembling all the way walking home from the record store after buying a new album.

Nowadays I'm happy to just lie down on my couch and rest.

When does this start happening? I am 17 now, and most games feel exciting and fresh, and least for a while. Brawls freshness ran out after 2 months, which is a lot worse than Melee (felt novel for YEARS) but its still there...