By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Rumour: Metal Gear Solid (the first one, duh) Coming to XBLA

starcraft said:
Euphoria14 said:
starcraft said:
BMaker11 said:

Doubt it. I mean, think about it. 350MB is only HALF the size of the first MGS1 disk. What makes them think it will fit the WHOLE game on there?

About a decade's worth of advancements in compression technology?

Then why are XBox originals still around the same exact size as the original DVD copies?

Have you got a link to prove that?

In any case the answer to your question is simple.  The xbox originals are already made and as such there is no limit on the size they can be.  Microsoft has to put a limit on the size of XBLA games because otherwise devs would run rampant. 

I would have to look up my older posts, but there was a user here who wanted to download Fable and wanted to know if a Premium was good enough to house a few games so I took the liberty of listing the XBox originals as well as their respective sizes. When I find the post I'll PM you the list if you want. I am pretty sure though they ranged from 1.5GB - 4.5GB.

While I know the XBox originals have no set limit I know XBLA does and I find it very difficult to compress a 1.5GB game into 350MB. You can't even get a PSP ISO that small from 1.5GB without ripping out audio and video. Has any game been compressed in this way yet?

This is the reason why I think he is either mixed up with the original Metal Gear or that this rumor is false. If they can somehow shrink it to that size without taking anything out however, I will gladly accept that I thought wrong.

It would be great for as many people as possible to play this great franchise.

BTW, if it is against the rules to mention ISO's in the way I did, I apologize.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Around the Network
starcraft said:
My mistake people. Meant to put 2.

But seriously, with the production costs of this game, the added costs of duplicating the same data over many times to achieve the publicity of an unneccessary dual layer Blu-Ray disk and the PS3's small userbase?

Expect a port.
You have no idea of the terms of MGS4's exclusivity so all your "expect a port" garbage is empty speculation.

I'm pretty sure I have a Myth rip somewhere that is about 150 meg with no speech. I'll check later and let you know.

MGS5 time exclusive for 360 confirmed!!

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

if 360 ever gets a port of MGS4 it should be called MGS4: Substandard coz that's how it will be.

Around the Network

@ Starcraft

Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory - 5.5 GB.

That's 4 years of comp for ya. Exact same as DVD size.

DMeisterJ said:
@ Starcraft

Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory - 5.5 GB.

That's 4 years of comp for ya. Exact same as DVD size.

Well there are no limits for XB originals, which is why they don't really bother to compress them. XBLA does have size limits.

There aren't as many XB originals on the JP XBL store, but the sizes range from 757MB to 5.9GB (Puyo Puyo Fever as the former and Ninja Gaiden Black as the latter)

starcraft: "I and every PS3 fanboy alive are waiting for Versus more than FFXIII.
Me since the games were revealed, the fanboys since E3."

Skeeuk: "playstation 3 is the ultimate in gaming acceleration"

now I wonder why everybody wants MGS... That game blows... and apparently even PS fan agree less and less buyer every time....

when people will start to understand they can see a movie for 7 bucks or less (and an actual good one) instead of paying 60 bucks for a game with slopy gameplay and you have to be honest a lame story if you compare it to the price of a movie ticket.... for usually a better plot and production...

am i the only one to see that ????

I wonder why people keep saying that MGS games are like movies. Sure, they may have a lot of cutscenes, but the writing is much more like the bastard child of an Alan Moore graphic novel and a couple random manga volumes.

Anyway, I don't see why there would be any significant demand for a 360 release of MGS4. As someone mentioned earlier in a rather poor attempt to denigrate 360 owners, most of us would rather be playing our games instead of watching them do their own thing. If I want what MGS has to offer, I have books that do a much better job of it. For gameplay, I'd much rather have a new Splinter Cell.

And speaking of Splinter Cell, I'd say Microsoft has high expectations for Conviction once it finally gets released, so I find it doubtful they'd draw attention to another stealth action franchise on their console via XBLA before Conviction has been released.

Here is the folder size for MGS on th PC