By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft puts Blu-Ray rumours to rest (again)

Shameless said:
Torillian said:
I am curious how they're going to "rival Apple" today though if not with a BR related announcement.

I'm guessing it's going to be related to Zune, possibly a Zune phone.

Edit: scratch that, no Zune phone in the near future. I'm not sure what they have up their sleeve in that case. 

MS official said no Zune phone but apparently hinted at a Zune Touch.

Biggest Pikmin Fan on VGChartz I was chosen by default due to voting irregularities

Super Smash Brawl Code 1762-4158-5677 Send me a message if you want to receive a beat down

Around the Network

So what time is Apple's conference?

I want to see te 3G iPhone!

Torillian said:
I am curious how they're going to "rival Apple" today though if not with a BR related announcement.

They're going to announce a new video codec that can compress any 1080p movie down to 100 K bytes to allow for <5 second downloading, even on dial-up connections.  The only problem is they still haven't gotten the decompression component working...

crumas2 said:
Torillian said:

They're going to announce a new video codec that can compress any 1080p movie down to 100 K bytes to allow for <5 second downloading, even on dial-up connections.  The only problem is they still haven't gotten the decompression component working...

They could do something like that using R3Dcode - too bad you need a quadcore to play it at 60fps

Current-gen game collection uploaded on the profile, full of win and good games; also most of my PC games. Lucasfilm Games/LucasArts 1982-2008 (Requiescat In Pace).

They'd be foolish not to use Blu-Ray in the next Xbox, as even at the start of this generation, developers were complaining about the size limits of DVD. However, it's good that they aren't confusing the consumer even more by tossing it into the 360.

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."
Around the Network
thekitchensink said:
They'd be foolish not to use Blu-Ray in the next Xbox, as even at the start of this generation, developers were complaining about the size limits of DVD. However, it's good that they aren't confusing the consumer even more by tossing it into the 360.

Not really... If they go with optical media, they'd probably be better off with HD-DVD or some other unpopular format which would make it harder to pirate (like Nintendo usually does).

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

NJ5 said:
thekitchensink said:

Not really... If they go with optical media, they'd probably be better off with HD-DVD or some other unpopular format which would make it harder to pirate (like Nintendo usually does).

Actually, assuming they are as cheap as we all expect them to be, a combo HD-DVD/Blu Ray drive would be best.  HD-DVD for games (to combat piracy) and Blu-Ray for movies. 

Of course the biggest neccessity will be a massive HDD to push their download scheme. 

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

what's amazing it's how people get turned by apple just because it's hipe or have a nice design.... iPhone is one of the crapiest phone for that price I ever had.... oh yes it's cool... but at that price I'd rather have 2 of another brand..... could say the same for iPhone by the way....
hopefully that 3G version will be the solution for all the problem the other have.... I doubt it though

thekitchensink said:

Exactly.  But if MS does NOT want to us Blu ray, then what then?  Will MS want to move to a more casual-based kind of console?

papflesje said:
Perfect.

MS stands its ground regarding BR while Sony can keep BR as a sales pitch.

It was the most logical thing that could've happened. Glad to see logic prevailed for once.

I couldn't agree more.

The current situation is that Blu-ray is a niche format. Only very few consumers demand it, so MS essentially doesn't lose customers by not offering a playback facility.

On the other hand, by offering a BR playback device they would help spreading their competitor's product and simultaneously undermine their own VoD service.

Thus, logic tells me that a BR addon for the Xbox is an absolute impossibility for the time being. It would be different if BR was a widespread standard, then MS would have to act in order to meet their own claim of delivering a full-fledged media center.