By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3 moniter

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=SIL-L-2239W-R&cat=MON&cpc=MONbsc

Will this monitor work pretty well for PS3?

I want the best picture I can get, but it has to stay under the $300 price mark.

We'll miss you George.

PSN:Puzzleface

XBL:XpuzzlefaceX

My friends call me Hadoken because I'm down-right fierce

Around the Network

The contrast ratio and brightness isn't very high and it doesn't really say if it's HD ready...I wouldn't get it, but for 180 that's pretty good.

Also doesn't really say if it has a HDMI output, that's pretty much a must have for HD with the PS3

You can't help but root for the underdog, GO PS3!

End of 08' Sales

Wii:                      39.56

Xbox 360:           24.75

Playstation 3:     20.58

nice but it dont say hd ready, does it have th eproper aspect ratios

best picture? 1080p with hdmi it doesnt have

I was told that all wide screen LCD monitors are HD. I guess that was incorrect?

We'll miss you George.

Around the Network

I was told that all wide screen LCD monitors are HD. I guess that was incorrect?

No, that's correct. The resolution is right there on the page: 1680 x 1050. 1080p is 1920 x 1080, so you're pretty close to full HD with this thing.

With an HDMI-DVI cable, my guess is you'll be fine... unless there's some HDCP compatibility nonsense to screw things up. I'm not too well versed on that stuff.

The specs don't mention anything about it's DVI input being HDCP compliant. If it's not the monitor won't display anything from the PS3.

Also, AFAIK, the PS3 can only be set to output 720p (1280 x 720), 1080i and 1080p (1920 x 1080). The monitor you linked has a native resolution of 1680 x 1050, and unlike TV's, monitors typically won't accept the higher resolution signal and downscale to fit the screen. So you're looking at playing in 1280 x 720, with your monitor scaling the image to fit the entire screen. Which isn't ideal as monitor scalers aren't usually very good.

You may also have a distorted image, because the PS3 will send out a 16:9 ratio image, but a computer monitor is 16:10. If the monitor doesn't have the proper scaling option it'll distort the image by vertically stretching it a bit.

Thank you for the reply, that post is exactly what I was looking for.

If I'm too freaking broke to afford an HDTV, what is my best option for PS3 picture quality?

We'll miss you George.

The specs don't mention anything about it's DVI input being HDCP compliant.

Yeah, and after a little digging around, I don't see it mentioned on any other sites either. For that matter, I haven't even been able to find the freaking brand name of this monitor. Probably best to avoid it.

obieslut said:
nice but it dont say hd ready, does it have th eproper aspect ratios

Uhh it's a monitor all monitors are HD capable. 1680 x 1050 resolution (WXGA+) it's better that 1080p/i you're thinking about televisions.