By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - What would u do if PSN cost $$$?

dallas said:
If charging for the PSN makes business sense, then why wouldn't they do it?

Because people don't want it, and it is a reason to get a PS3 rather than a 360

Around the Network
halogamer1989 said:
Free PSN is a factor in this gen's war.  With the advent of Qore, however, Sony may be hard pressed to up the cost of its network from free.  What would happen if PSN was upped to the cost of XBL to manage Sony infrastructure?

ummm...I would pay for it, probably. I like paying Microsoft their fees. I mean they put a lot in return. With so much stuff on Xbox Live Marketplace.

I would not even go PSN, just because their is nothing on that service that is awesome. I hardly ever use it. I just check to see if new demos and trailers are up and download them and watch those and then delete them off my HDD.

Other than than that it depends on what Sony offers at the time if and when they charge for PSN. If it is like Xbox Live Marketplace then I will pay for it, if not then prepare for me to not worry about PSN online anymore :(

Munkeh111 said:
dallas said:
The only reason why Sony doesn't already charge for the PSN is b/c they don't have enough consoles sold WW to really do a whole lot w/ paid-for services.

So, free PSN is kind of like a price-cut.

Heck, Sony has even said that eventually they will be charging for the PSN os get ready for it.

Sony have not ever said that they will be charging for it, and M$ managed to start with non free online from the beginning, so why it will not acheive anything when it has 13m consoles in homes is just a ridiculous statement.

1.  I've seen sony press releases and past articles back in late 06 saying that they hoped to eventually be in a position to where they could charge for the PSN. 

2.  For the amount of services that the PSN currently has, charging for it would be ludicrous.  And again, I'm one of the biggest PS3 supporters on this board, but at this time, I defintely recognize that Sony's online offerings aren't that great at all. 

dallas said:
Munkeh111 said:
dallas said:
The only reason why Sony doesn't already charge for the PSN is b/c they don't have enough consoles sold WW to really do a whole lot w/ paid-for services.

So, free PSN is kind of like a price-cut.

Heck, Sony has even said that eventually they will be charging for the PSN os get ready for it.

Sony have not ever said that they will be charging for it, and M$ managed to start with non free online from the beginning, so why it will not acheive anything when it has 13m consoles in homes is just a ridiculous statement.

1.  I've seen sony press releases and past articles back in late 06 saying that they hoped to eventually be in a position to where they could charge for the PSN. 

2.  For the amount of services that the PSN currently has, charging for it would be ludicrous.  And again, I'm one of the biggest PS3 supporters on this board, but at this time, I defintely recognize that Sony's online offerings aren't that great at all. 

There are a number of great online games, such as Warhawk, and they maintain a great number of servers, and obviously they could do a lot more with more money. Obviously home is the main peice of their online strategy

I would be pissed, but i'd still end up paying to play

Hi, i'm solojohlo and i'm pretty fucking awesome

Around the Network

I would boycott Sony....... oh wait, boycott isn't the popular thing anymore?

Serious Response: I would pay if it were as good as xbox live (which I paid for). So long as they provide a service worthy of my money, I'd be glad to. If they didn't change a thing and started charging for it, I would expect to pay alot less than I did for live (which was $64AUD for 12 months, and that was when it was on sale).

Personally if it was reasonable i'd pay grudgingly and go on.

And if anybody thinks it will never happen as it is a "core value" of Sony. Just remember when over a year ago Phil Harrison proclaimed BC a "core value" and that was phased out.

I don't look at it at just $5.00 a month. When I was thinking about which console to purchase I thought about how long I had my PS2 and how much I would have been paying for online service had there been a fee and games I wanted to play online. So $5 a month x 12 months = $60 a year. $60 a year x 5 years (at least) = $300. Now $300 is a lot of money. Thats one game a year for 5 years, a Nintendo Wii, or $300 towards the next system. I say let the content and advertising pay for the service. Seems like more and more things are becoming a monthly pay service and I don't like it.

I dont really have a pc thatll game to ps3/ my own gaming standards so if the cost wasnt exorbitant id pay.

First off, they wil not charge for it at all for PS3, maybe PS4 but they can't this generation due to free online is one of their selling points. If they did charge this very second I would prob pay for it(PSN has less kids than XBL) and I imagine they would include Qore with it.