By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft unveiling new 360 RPGs next week in Japan

ClaudeLv250 said:

All these people arguing about RPGs on other consoles, I'm surprised few people said anything about Cry On. It's about friggin time they showed that one off.

EDIT: And for all the poeple naming random SE franchises, you might want to check yourself. SE already said the 360 wasn't one of their major platforms, doesn't make sense for it to suddenly get all of their major franchises a few weeks after they pretty much said the 360 was an afterthought. Won't be getting much unless it's shared.

SE said that like over 1 year ago. With recent news and bad financial reports, things are changing rapidly.

Comments by Yoichi Wada, Square-Enix CEO in a CNet Japan interview (lovingly translated by Kotaku) back in December:

“The Wii is the antithesis of the Xbox 360. The 360 is strictly for hardcore gamers. The attachment rate for the Xbox 360 is much higher than for the Wii.

“People who buy the 360 really like games. I think the current trend is that most people aren't buying the Wii as a game machine, but as a toy.

“It seems that Sony isn't sure what it wants to do. Is it making high-end electronics or a game console for gamers? I want them to clearly define their console.”

http://www.destructoid.com/square-ceo-says-everyone-except-microsoft-is-doing-it-wrong-57698.phtml

More comments by Yoichi Wada on financial results:

Sqaure president Yoichi Wada commented to Reuters recently that the company needed "to go beyond traditional Square-Enix", and recent numbers have shed some light on the reason why.

Sales dropped 9.8 percent on the year to ¥147.5 billion ($1.4 billion)--a sharp contrast to last year's 31.3 percent gains, which grew revenue to ¥163.4 billion ($1.6 billion). While the publisher was able to curtail a precipitous slump in net income from a year ago, Square Enix still posted net income down 20.9 percent to ¥9.2 billion ($89 million)

http://www.destructoid.com/square-enix-having-rough-financial-year-time-to-pull-out-the-ffvii-remake--87663.phtml

Comments from Senior Vice President Michihiro Sasaki:

...currently only 10 to 20 percent of the company's revenue is currently coming from overseas markets. "Within two to three years we want to make it half," he said.

We need to seek co-operation with a US publisher - we need local content. Our strength is in role-playing games and fantasy titles, so it is a bit difficult to appeal to the US market. 

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/09/24/square-enix-hunting-for-foreign-partners/

http://www.destructoid.com/coming-to-america-square-enix-looking-for-us-partnerships-46302.phtml

Around the Network

I just don't understand the hype for majority of these 360 JRPG's

people go around claiming LO is the next FFX...its the next coming

I mean seriously ITS NOT people....western reviewers aren't dumb to give it low scores while they gave FF10 high review scores

Its mostly 360 fans bitter about getting ALL JRPG's except for the the main one FF13

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Darth - How much of Lost Odyssey have you played?

Answer that before anyone gives a crap about your opinion of Lost Odyssey.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

darthdevidem01 said:

I mean seriously ITS NOT people....western reviewers aren't dumb to give it low scores while they gave FF10 high review scores

Its mostly 360 fans bitter about getting ALL JRPG's except for the the main one FF13
LO is the only 360 JRPG that is actually getting hype here.  Review scores only represent the opinions of the critics, not the actual quality of a game.  Gamespot clearly said that LO was a huge improvment over BD- which was one of the most diappointing games released last year

darthdevidem01 said:

Whats wrong today Darth? 

I know the PS3 had a bad run of it with a few cancellations and low USA sales, but you've gone absolutely nuts the last day or two.

Stop bashing 360 RPG's and Banjo.  No FF fan was ever under the impression the title would come to the Xbox 360, so none of them bought it thinking they would get to play it.  None of them feel bitter.

Look at reviews for JRPG's in the Western media.  The ONLY titles that get high scores are Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest. 

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Around the Network
mrstickball said:
Darth - How much of Lost Odyssey have you played?

Answer that before anyone gives a crap about your opinion of Lost Odyssey.

Successful burn registered! Darth takes +18 damage to street cred!

Reviewers had shit copies of LO that had horrible loading times.  Even tho most reviewers made mention of this fact after it came out, I don't think anyone increased their score out of fear of backlash.

The lowest scores came from reviewers that said the game was too old-school JRPG.  I don't know about you, but when people say that, it makes it a "must buy" game for me.  The oldschool Final Fantasies were the best of the series.  Their 'innovation' has only lead to main male characters with vaginas, shitty combat systems, and the worst voice acting the world has ever seen.

It's good that they're still trying to appeal to a wider audience. But I'm not sure how much it's gonna help exactly. Japan isn't the 360s strong point at the moment. I'm still interested to see what they announce.

starcraft said:
darthdevidem01 said:

Whats wrong today Darth?

I know the PS3 had a bad run of it with a few cancellations and low USA sales, but you've gone absolutely nuts the last day or two.

Stop bashing 360 RPG's and Banjo. No FF fan was ever under the impression the title would come to the Xbox 360, so none of them bought it thinking they would get to play it. None of them feel bitter.

Look at reviews for JRPG's in the Western media. The ONLY titles that get high scores are Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest.

Persona 3, TWEWY says hi

EDIT:Oh yeah, Level 5 RPGs also say hi 

@mstickball

SPOILERS PEOPLE:

until just after his daughter dies,.....n the funeral mini game thing is awful

@sansui

in your dreams mate

{uses hyper potion}

wow....now your call reviewers not credible....keep it coming starcraft

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

LoL people, it`s only 2 days. =))

Why you argue? =))

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far