By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - My PC Just died

Squilliam said:

"240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800" Thats the rated limit. You're good to go and yep, ram speeds are rated maximums not standard operating speeds. They can be clocked slowing if you REALLY want to ^^

@500 - Awesome, looks like we've got a winner here. Im glad I could help. Its always good to get heaps of MIRS at the same time, that way you can post them all instead of forgetting.

Edit: I run both vista64 and 32 - With 64 you need to check if you have peripherals that are compatible with it. Otherwise you could be in for a LOT of hassle. I have a wireless network card that makes me want to bomb Belkin headquarters.

Edit2: Vista 32 breaks some backwards compatibility but Vista 64 cuts off 16 bit code. So its more secure, but some older programs WILL NOT run on it. If you're concerned I suggest you dual boot 64 bit with XP since its free and all.

Thanks. I don't run anything old on it, other then a crappy scanner. I will just have the OS, Visual Studio 2008, Office, and a lot of games :).

I probably will dual boot anyway, just because wth am I going to do with 500Gig of HD space? :) 

( I wish PC's would go with EFI and get off these BIOS things, Sure would be nice to be able to partition my HD any way I want) 

Around the Network

Looks good, but we need to make sure of one last thing - CPU cooler. Is your old one compatible/do you have thermal paste? Im going to bed now but its pretty straight forward - look for one thats AM2 compatible.

Black edition CPUs don't come with coolers. So you need to make sure you have thermal paste and a cooler that will fit.

Tease.

Squilliam said:
Looks good, but we need to make sure of one last thing - CPU cooler. Is your old one compatible/do you have thermal paste? Im going to bed now but its pretty straight forward - look for one thats AM2 compatible.

Black edition CPUs don't come with coolers. So you need to make sure you have thermal paste and a cooler that will fit.

I have the paste, and my old cooler from my AMD. not sure if it will fit. It's the biggest thing I have ever seen. (it has a heat pipe system, and a 120mm fan).

I will see if it fits, and if not, get a new one. 

Actually, the description on the website for the black CPU says:

Cooling Device Heatsink and Fan included

Squilliam said:
TheRealMafoo said:

Gah.

Ok, what's the best CPU for under $300?

What Mobo would you put with it?

I am going to buy a CPU/Mobo/PSU/Memory/HD. ( I will keep my 7800 GTX until the new crop of cards comes out) 

I don't want to spend a ton of money. 

I guess I will go with Vista (I just threw up a little in my mouth). I have an MSDN license, so all MS software is free to me, I just hate Vista.

Oh, and will I notice 4 gig of ram over 2 gig at this point?

Is that $300 for the whole lot or $300 for the CPU?

Some things to consider.

No SLI for Nehalem (Core3) CPUs - Intel/Nvidia scuffle. Furthermore its a dead end upgrade patch with LGA775.

AMD Southbridge 700-750 has built in overclocking for the black edition phenoms.

thatsmt true, Intel would be stupid not to want to make money...I hope its not true either as I want w/e GPU is out when those CPUs are released.

Plus Intel cant stop nVidia's partners from licencing SLi and Nahalem technologies and using them at the same time. lol

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Around the Network
ssj12 said:
Squilliam said:
TheRealMafoo said:

Gah.

Ok, what's the best CPU for under $300?

What Mobo would you put with it?

I am going to buy a CPU/Mobo/PSU/Memory/HD. ( I will keep my 7800 GTX until the new crop of cards comes out) 

I don't want to spend a ton of money. 

I guess I will go with Vista (I just threw up a little in my mouth). I have an MSDN license, so all MS software is free to me, I just hate Vista.

Oh, and will I notice 4 gig of ram over 2 gig at this point?

Is that $300 for the whole lot or $300 for the CPU?

Some things to consider.

No SLI for Nehalem (Core3) CPUs - Intel/Nvidia scuffle. Furthermore its a dead end upgrade patch with LGA775.

AMD Southbridge 700-750 has built in overclocking for the black edition phenoms.

thatsmt true, Intel would be stupid not to want to make money...I hope its not true either as I want w/e GPU is out when those CPUs are released.

Plus Intel cant stop nVidia's partners from licencing SLi and Nahalem technologies and using them at the same time. lol

Intel can and so far has stopped Nvidia production of a compatible chipset for the Nehalem processor. No chipset = No SLI. So that makes AMD graphics much more enticing now doesn't it? (If you want more than one card)

Also Intel is killing overclocking on their cheaper Nehalem varient so if you want overclocking in the future it will have to be AMD.

Tease.

welcome back Squilliam. Sleep well? it's my bedtime now :p

yeah my PC sorta died on me, winXP got some error and wouldn't even start, had to yank out the HDD and put into my other computer to back up the info, but when I did that I found that part of what was holding down the heat sink had broken, honest I'm amazed that my CPU didn't fry it's self, but theirs nothing a paper clip and super glue can't solve. LOLz
anyways, formatted my computer and now she's up and running like before :)

TheRealMafoo said:

Yep! Good luck on your build it looks like you've got an excellent deal there.

I hope you get to play some games on it every now and then! ^^

Tease.

Squilliam said:
TheRealMafoo said:

Yep! Good luck on your build it looks like you've got an excellent deal there.

I hope you get to play some games on it every now and then! ^^

lol, thanks. I am off to Vegas now, so I didn't order it yet. I won't be back until Friday, and don't want it sitting outside. I will order it Tuesday. I just hope the free mobo is still part of the deal by the :)