By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - My PC Just died

Squilliam said:
TheRealMafoo said:
Squilliam said:

If you don't want to overclock and want a solid system you can upgrade in the future I say pick the Phenom because its dirt cheap and $100-150 less than a comparible intel because the motherboard is free.

I went with another Mobo. I didn't really like that one. Thanks for all your info. What do you think of my selections above?

Ok, the motherboard isn't an AMD motherboard - You can get cheaper good ram as above and save $50 and the PSU doesn't have an 8 pin plug so no ultra high end card like an AMD X2 or a GTX 280 or maybe 260 (not sure)

Doh! I deleted the wrong one from my cart (I had both Intel and AMD stuff in it). This is the one I liked:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138108

Around the Network

And what PSU would you suggest then, in that price range? I don't want a crapy one, but I also don't want to spend a ton of money on it.

Cheapest 8pin:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153070

I know the brand, and they used to be good. Are they still?

TheRealMafoo said:
And what PSU would you suggest then, in that price range? I don't want a crapy one, but I also don't want to spend a ton of money on it.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139005

Corsair 650w - $10 more, 80+ efficiency, large fan and has a 6 pin and 8 pin available.

One question though, why speed $140 more to get a motherboard when the one that comes with the system is fine anyway? You'd be better served spending that money on a Radeon 4870 or 4850.

Since its essentially free, why not just use it and keep that money in your pocket?

Tease.

Squilliam said:
TheRealMafoo said:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139005

Corsair 650w - $10 more, 80+ efficiency, large fan and has a 6 pin and 8 pin available.

One question though, why speed $140 more to get a motherboard when the one that comes with the system is fine anyway? You'd be better served spending that money on a Radeon 4870 or 4850.

Since its essentially free, why not just use it and keep that money in your pocket?

I have had problems with bad mobo's. I worry that it's going to suck. Then again, it is free, so who cares :) Good point. Reconfiguring...

Around the Network
TheRealMafoo said:
Cheapest 8pin:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153070

I know the brand, and they used to be good. Are they still?

As far as I know, yep - Actually it has 2 6 pin and 2 6+2pin adaptors, so you can run Xfire/SLI if your heart so desires it, except that if you're actually using all those pins you'd be drawing a lot of current so you could do two 6 pin cards (8800gt or 9600gt or 3870 etc) but not two 9800gtx or gtx 280 etc.

I haven't looked at main reviews but its a good brand. May be a bit better quality than the corsair.

Tease.

SaviorX said:
My laptop just got this weird blue scree and restarted itself several times over. When turning it back on, it asks me to return to last known setting or go into safe mode then try again. But when I do that, I just get the restarting blue screen again.

Can anyone PM me some help/advice?

Vista/Xp and do you have a disk?

For a quick test remove all the peripherals etc and just boot with your laptop disconnected.

Tease.

wow, with the mail in rebates, I am under 500 now :)

Do I have to get slower ram, or will that ram drop to 800?

"240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800" Thats the rated limit. You're good to go and yep, ram speeds are rated maximums not standard operating speeds. They can be clocked slowing if you REALLY want to ^^

@500 - Awesome, looks like we've got a winner here. Im glad I could help. Its always good to get heaps of MIRS at the same time, that way you can post them all instead of forgetting.

Edit: I run both vista64 and 32 - With 64 you need to check if you have peripherals that are compatible with it. Otherwise you could be in for a LOT of hassle. I have a wireless network card that makes me want to bomb Belkin headquarters.

Edit2: Vista 32 breaks some backwards compatibility but Vista 64 cuts off 16 bit code. So its more secure, but some older programs WILL NOT run on it. If you're concerned I suggest you dual boot 64 bit with XP since its free and all.

Tease.

I just noticed the ram you linked in earlier was 800. The ram I had before was 1066.

I doubt in the big picture, that difference will be noticeable. 800 it is :)

So here is my final build (unless you see anything wrong with it) :). And thanks for all your help!

Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST3500320AS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
Thermaltake W0158RU 650W VGA Power Supply - Retail
GeIL Value Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop
BIOSTAR A770 A2+ AM2+/AM2 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
AMD Phenom 9850 BLACK EDITION 2.5GHz Socket AM2+ 125W Quad-Core Processor Model HD985ZXAGHBOX - Retail

Price: $526 - $22 MIRS. = $504 :)