By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Boycotts are a short lived fad

Boycotts are just fads and they are destroying VGchartz as we know it. Boycott is a very casual form of protest. Boycotts are last generation, they don`t not even have consumer court support. When riots adoption rate goes up boycotts will be doomed. All it has to offer are gimmick long-term changes of buying habits.

The only reason boycotts have so much support is because they are cheap to do. Public nudity and petitions are much better. Do not forget that self immolation was also very popular, but now look at it. Anyways, there is not much protest to do in boycotts. What will happen when people get tired of waiting for awareness-raising and changes? You just wait till picketing and strike action start catching up. And peace camp has a 10 year plan.

The executive producer of Ubisoft's Games For Everyone range Pauline Jacquey said that young casual gamers are becoming more demanding, so boycotts are useless. It relies too much on a family friendly appeal. It appeals only to non protesters and blogger moms. Once people start real protests they will not ever look back at boycotts. Boycotts lack the impact and bargain power that occupations have.

Another issue everyone ignores: the ratio of internet boycotts is too high. What I mean is that 3rd party protests support is abysmal on boycotts. Boycotts that are not made on the Internet do not do so well. Just compare 3rd party protest ratio for boycotts and non violent resistance.

Satan said:

"You are for ever angry, all you care about is intelligence, but I repeat again that I would give away all this superstellar life, all the ranks and honours, simply to be transformed into the soul of a merchant's wife weighing eighteen stone and set candles at God's shrine."

Around the Network

So what exactly is a "young casual gamer"? I remember being young and hardcore and all when it came to gaming.

Currently playing on PS3: God of War III

Currently playing on Xbox360: Final Fantasy XIII

Currently playing on NDS: Chrono Trigger

I'll decide if this is clever tomorrow.

"[Our former customers] are unable to find software which they WANT to play."
"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President. Only slightly paraphrased.

:O And I thought I had seen everything, Internet keeps surprising me.

Hilarious btw :)

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

I boycott this thread

Around the Network

Ok, I'm back.

You've got heart.

meh the boycott was pointless, most people have taken i tout of there sig already.

ItsaMii said:

Boycotts are just fads and they are destroying VGchartz as we know it. Boycott is a very casual form of protest. Boycotts are last generation, they don`t not even have consumer court support. When riots adoption rate goes up boycotts will be doomed. All it has to offer are gimmick long-term changes of buying habits.

The only reason boycotts have so much support is because they are cheap to do. Public nudity and petitions are much better. Do not forget that self immolation was also very popular, but now look at it. Anyways, there is not much protest to do in boycotts. What will happen when people get tired of waiting for awareness-raising and changes? You just wait till picketing and strike action start catching up. And peace camp has a 10 year plan.

The executive producer of Ubisoft's Games For Everyone range Pauline Jacquey said that young casual gamers are becoming more demanding, so boycotts are useless. It relies too much on a family friendly appeal. It appeals only to non protesters and blogger moms. Once people start real protests they will not ever look back at boycotts. Boycotts lack the impact and bargain power that occupations have.

Another issue everyone ignores: the ratio of internet boycotts is too high. What I mean is that 3rd party protests support is abysmal on boycotts. Boycotts that are not made on the Internet do not do so well. Just compare 3rd party protest ratio for boycotts and non violent resistance.

How far did you thik this boycott was going to go? It seems like you expected it to take news coverage or something. I'll just keep "boycotting" or "protesting" or whatever word you wanna use until Ubisoft develops a good game of their own and belittling the intelligence and worth of Wii owners.

The "boycott" wasn't meant to be all that serious.

Bolded: What's up with all the casual talk, yo work for Ubisoft now?! (j/k) 

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

@ obieslut

Or changed their sigs to say 'developed' so they can get away with buying Tenchu 4 and sleeping at night.