By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii Storage - Another hint

The best answer is to allow USB connections to external HDs. That way, the players who need the storage could connect a disk of whatever size they wish to their Wii.

You can get an external USB 2.0 Terabyte (1,000 Gigabytes) drive for around $200 right now.

"I mean, c'mon, Viva Pinata, a game with massive marketing, didn't sell worth a damn to the "sophisticated" 360 audience, despite near-universal praise--is that a sign that 360 owners are a bunch of casual ignoramuses that can't get their heads around a 'gardening' sim? Of course not. So let's please stop trying to micro-analyze one game out of hundreds and using it as the poster child for why good, non-1st party, games can't sell on Wii. (Everyone frequenting this site knows this is nonsense, and yet some of you just can't let it go because it's the only scab you have left to pick at after all your other "Wii will phail1!!1" straw men arguments have been put to the torch.)" - exindguy on Boom Blocks

Around the Network
DarkNight_DS said:
TWRoO said:
^but Wii doesn't support SD of larger than 8GB (I think) so unless that can be done by an update too?

Although 8MB would be plenty for me.

How many times do I have to clear this nonsense up?

YES IT DOES!

The Wii supports SDHC, just not on the Wii menu yet (other then reading). I have SDHC cards and can save and read from them in SSBB. So SSBB has the SDHC driver. The Wii menu supports HALF of the SDHC driver. We will get the update that allows full access.

I have no idea what SDHC is.

Fernando said:

Nintendo customer service gives a slightly different response to Wii storage issues

Reader Dannykeving66 sent yet another email to Nintendo, in the hopes of finding out what the hell is going on with the Wii and storage. The response below is a bit different from what we’ve been hearing in the past.

Aside from SD Cards, at this time the Wii console does not support external storage devices, such as USB drives or external hard drives. While it’s possible to transfer a file manually to an external storage device using an SD Card, there is currently no way to save directly or to transfer files directly to such a device from your Wii console. If such functionality is granted via a future system update and WiiConnect24 is activated, we will post it to our website, and might possibly send notice via the Wii Message Board.

I’ve never seen a customer service rep take things so far to suggest a WC24 update. I swear, if that’s all it takes, and Nintendo has had us waiting this long for no reason…I may actually go insane.

Via GoNintendo

In red is what I'm responding to.

Nintendo is the smallest of the console makers by a ludicrous margin. All their hardware efforts have been to produce as many Wii's as they can, as well as some peripherals. All the software engineers have been put to work creating the many first party games, Wii channels, Wiiware games and filling the Virtual Console library.

Essentially, for the first 18 months the software people were creating data for people to fill the 512 mb with. As soon as people started filling this, Nintendo has moved on it.

Perfect timing IMO

TWRoO said:
DarkNight_DS said:
TWRoO said:
^but Wii doesn't support SD of larger than 8GB (I think) so unless that can be done by an update too?

Although 8MB would be plenty for me.

How many times do I have to clear this nonsense up?

YES IT DOES!

The Wii supports SDHC, just not on the Wii menu yet (other then reading). I have SDHC cards and can save and read from them in SSBB. So SSBB has the SDHC driver. The Wii menu supports HALF of the SDHC driver. We will get the update that allows full access.

I have no idea what SDHC is.

SD cards bigger than 2GB.

^Click on cards to level'em up!!!^ =D

nintendo contracted a company that works with high compression methodes
I believe that's how it will be done

Around the Network
kushal3337@wii said:
I think Wii should get more memory to hold better games with better graphics (probably unlikely). PS360 has lots of memory for better games which Wii is lacking.

What you're talking about sounds like RAM expansion, which, no, the Wii isn't capable of doing. Only the N64 and DS (to and extent) can do that. The point of this topic is to memory as in storage space. Like a harddrive, a USB external drive, or simply direct access to the goddamn SD card so we can store and play far more downloaded games. Plus, with vastly more space, there's really no reason they wouldn't be able to allow downloads of Sega CD, 32X, Saturn, Jaguar, or 3DO games. Those would be nice additions to the library. So long as they actually get the few good titles from the Jaguar, 32X, and 3DO...

Resident_Hazard said:
kushal3337@wii said:
I think Wii should get more memory to hold better games with better graphics (probably unlikely). PS360 has lots of memory for better games which Wii is lacking.

What you're talking about sounds like RAM expansion, which, no, the Wii isn't capable of doing. Only the N64 and DS (to and extent) can do that.

You forgot the good and old Sega Saturn with the amazing 2D Fighters. No joking here, at its time it was almost an "arcade at home".

^Click on cards to level'em up!!!^ =D

Being able to store games on an external device and being able to run them on that device are two different things. That rep pretty much confirmed that eventually they may allow you to transfer files to USB devices similar to how SD cards are used now, but for storage only. Just like with the SD cards, the Wii still will not be able to play games off of the devices. This is no different than what we are currently dealing with unless you really don't want to buy an SD card and have a USB harddrive laying around. It still sucks to have to transfer the files to the SD card/harddrive, then BACK to the Wii to play, then BACK off to make more room. That process is ridiculous.

How is it even possible to copy VC games from SD card to your Wii? My Wii doesn't allow it, so I need to download the VC games again instead of copying them from the SD card...

Chrizum said:
How is it even possible to copy VC games from SD card to your Wii? My Wii doesn't allow it, so I need to download the VC games again instead of copying them from the SD card...

It works fine for me. What SD card have you got?