By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii Storage - Another hint

Nintendo customer service gives a slightly different response to Wii storage issues

Reader Dannykeving66 sent yet another email to Nintendo, in the hopes of finding out what the hell is going on with the Wii and storage. The response below is a bit different from what we’ve been hearing in the past.

Aside from SD Cards, at this time the Wii console does not support external storage devices, such as USB drives or external hard drives. While it’s possible to transfer a file manually to an external storage device using an SD Card, there is currently no way to save directly or to transfer files directly to such a device from your Wii console. If such functionality is granted via a future system update and WiiConnect24 is activated, we will post it to our website, and might possibly send notice via the Wii Message Board.

I’ve never seen a customer service rep take things so far to suggest a WC24 update. I swear, if that’s all it takes, and Nintendo has had us waiting this long for no reason…I may actually go insane.

Via GoNintendo

Around the Network

interesting. But is really THAT necessary? I mean, I really doubt that people could fill 600 MB of VC games.

Still, it could be cool ^^

Bobbuffalo said:
interesting. But is really THAT necessary? I mean, I really doubt that people could fill 600 MB of VC games.

Problem is, you only have available like 300MB... the other space is for the system, firmware, etc. Besides, you also need space to store game saves, channels (Internet Channel, Everybody Votes Channel, Nintendo Channel, Forecast, etc... and each one takes like 30MB... plus game Channels, like Mario Kart and WiiFit Channels.

But the main problem now is WiiWare. Each game is like 50MB each one. I have 2 WiiWare titles, 2 N64 games, 4 SNES and every channel, and I only have space for one more WiiWare title.

well look how slow VC games have been coming out. We learnt from Capcom that Nintendo dictates when games come out on the VC.

The point being at this rate of 1-3 games a week how can we expect to see MOST of Nintendo's Retro library released by the end life cycle of the Wii.

So I am expecting more space. 

Bobbuffalo said:

Some here state they have. The fact is that more games bought means more money, so Nintendo likely has a good reason they haven't resolved this yet, since it's otherwise just pure profit. 

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Around the Network
Fernando said:
Bobbuffalo said:

Problem is, you only have available like 300MB... the other space is for the system, firmware, etc. Besides, you also need space to store game saves, channels (Internet Channel, Everybody Votes Channel, Nintendo Channel, Forecast, etc... and each one takes like 30MB... plus game Channels, like Mario Kart and WiiFit Channels.

But the main problem now is WiiWare. Each game is like 50MB each one. I have 2 WiiWare titles, 2 N64 games, 4 SNES and every channel, and I only have space for one more WiiWare title.

300?! I didn't knew that! =O Neithr the size of the channels! I thought they were around 3 MB as much!

I really doubt that Nintendo will ovrlook that. Maybe on E3 they will address that.

"Just kidding guys! We actually put 10gb flash memory on the Wii and only made 512mb accessable. We wanted to see how long it would take before you got seriiously pissed."
~Nintendo Rep.

Bobbuffalo said:

There is a lot of cool things you can do with the space -- like install the Wii Fit and Mario Kart channels.  The Wii Fit channel, in particular, is very nice, because you can do your daily testing and weigh in and note your outside activities without putting the disc in your system.

tehsage said:
"Just kidding guys! We actually put 10gb flash memory on the Wii and only made 512mb accessable. We wanted to see how long it would take before you got seriiously pissed."
~Nintendo Rep.

lol! That would make me go insane!

||Tag courtesy of fkusumot - "Heaven is like a Nintendo theme park!"||Join the Medal of Honor: Heroes 2 American League HERE!||

Bobbuffalo said:

You obviously do not own a Wii. I have 15 VC games and only two of them are N64 titles, and 11 regular games and I'm almost out of space. They gave us four screens of "channels" but not enough memory to actually fill them unless we only download the smallest NES games and have no large-memory use titles like Mario Kart Wii or Smash Bros Brawl (which eats up over a hundred blocks by itself).