By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Why don't more games support mouse and keyboard on the PS3?

What seems like all the time on these forums, I constantly read about the Wii's superior controls for any type of first person shooter, and while I haven't played an FPS on the Wii, I could probably agree that it's better than dual analog, NOT better however, than traditional mouse controls mouse and keyboard.

There have been a ton of video's out about random peripherals the PS3 supports, from bluetooth keyboards, mice, headsets, to usb tablets, camera's, IR mice and keyboards, etc etc. Now I'm no programming genius or anything, but aren't many of the mulit-plat titles designed to run on PC anyway? Why is it not an option for the PS3? Unreal Tournament 3 seemed to have no issue what-so-ever supporting mouse and keyboard, and I can't really think of why any other game FPS or non couldn't support M&K. It seems like something the PS3 was well designed to handle, but no other devs really take advantage of.

So whats the deal? M&K support would instantly get rid of the control issues that many people have with dual analog, and it would make many genre's of games easily more playable, tower defense, RTS, FPS, some RPG's, dungeon crawlers, etc etc. And I could easily see it silencing some of the nay-sayer PC enthusiast, I mean yes, we don't have teh upgrayded hardwere that PC's havded, but it would be a very multi-purposed box, with numerious options for control. 

From 0 to KICKASS in .stupid seconds.

Around the Network

Because it would be too easy.

Also their consoles not PC's, they have a proprietary controller with functions keyboards don't have.

Rumble, Sixaxis and easy access dual analog.

I'm Unamerica and you can too.

The Official Huge Monster Hunter Thread: 

The Hunt Begins 4/20/2010 =D

I think that it would cause inbalances in online games if some had keyboard and mouse

@Dib, yeah and I dig that about consoles :D But when it can support both, seriously how badass is that ^^ I would be on my controller most of the time :D But they sell Blu-tooth keyboards with Playstation logo's and stuff XD It's already there!!!

@Munkeh, yeah that's a pretty good point, but I could immagine companies setting up different servers and stuff for the people with M&K, like maybe when you create your online profile, have your input for control set so that the servers know, I dunno :P I'm no comp guru >

I think it's best Mouse + keyboard stays off the PS3 to facilitate fair play.

Around the Network

Sony would nt make money of the highly over priced controllers then.

-UBISOFT BOYCOTT!-

With UT there are options to disable M&K to make it fair, but since that is a lighting quick game, there is less of an inbalance, but there would be a great difference on stuff like Call of duty

ChronotriggerJM said:

What seems like all the time on these forums, I constantly read about the Wii's superior controls for any type of first person shooter, and while I haven't played an FPS on the Wii, I could probably agree that it's better than dual analog, NOT better however, than traditional mouse controls mouse and keyboard.

IMO such Wii fans exaggerate, for some games the Wii-mote is awesome, for other games a Playstation or XBox gamepad controller is far more suitable. Also with regard to FPS games I don't think the Wii controller is the best option for everyone as claimed.

I agree with you developers should add optional mouse and keyboard support where it makes sense, especially for games supporting or requiring mouse and keyboard on the PC this shouldn't pose much of a problem, like UT3 currently does. As for the reason why this often isn't the case, I guess many devs simply want the 360 and PS3 version to be roughly on par, once the PS3 becomes dominant over the 360 I think we will see much better efforts towards tapping into PS3 specific features regarding multi-platform PC games.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

There are room filters for KB&M if fair play is an issue.

More KB&M support can only be a good thing for Sony, especially for upcomming MMOs or RTS games.

Imperial said:
I think it's best Mouse + keyboard stays off the PS3 to facilitate fair play.

Mouse and Keyboard is fair play in every shape of the word :D Don't JUST think about it for online play, imagine some of the single player FPS gameplay as well :P Basically any game you'd just prefer mouse for.